Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gyshall posted:

I've been on the fence to buy an Android tablet for a while now, but I'm not sure if I should. What I want is an Ice Cream Sandwhich tablet that is 10 inches and can be rooted/run custom firmware. Does this thing exist or should I just hold out?

There's really no reason to put custom firmware on something unless there's a problem with the firmware shipped. The Transformer line is pretty much stock ICS, so you'd be best off with one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've been very happy with the stock ICS experience on my Transformer.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

The Iconia A500 has CyanogenMod 9 nightlies on the way.

The stock ICS is pretty good though. If you didn't need root then you could stick with that.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Unless you go with a reputable source like ACS, MIUI, or Cyanogenmod, you'd be best sticking with stock. I always get root and bootloader access to my devices for customization, but the main reason is for Titanium Backup. With that, I can remove carrier shitware and run incremental data backups to Dropbox (on wifi only). With bootloader I can also do pointless goofy poo poo like the CRT screen-off effect. With Superuser file system access I can mount the protected portion of the file system as read/write and delete the goddamn annoying sound file that Samsung uses to wake me up in the middle of the night to notify me that my battery is fully charged. gently caress them for that.
Be wary of the half-baked ROMs that are just aesthetic changes made by doofuses without any training in graphic design. Themed ROMs are also frequently de-ODEX'd to make theming easier, but this results in a de-optimization of UI elements that causes the OS to work less smoothly.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, what's the best (complete/stable) ICS ROM currently for the kindle fire? I noticed that there are several of them?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So I'm guessing the Transformer is the best bet. Is it rootable? Which one should I get?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Gyshall posted:

So I'm guessing the Transformer is the best bet. Is it rootable? Which one should I get?

As of a few days ago, it appears all the Transformer models are rootable. You may have to downgrade the firmware, then root and use a Rootkeeper app to restore it after you update again, but it seems to work without issues right now.

EDIT: Just note that although it is rootable, the TF300 does not currently have an unlocked bootloader, so no custom ROMs or anything. Not that it needs them.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Toshiba Excite 10 (non-LE) is now available, joining the Tegra 3 tablet party. MSRP $450 (16GB) / $530 (32GB) / $650 (64GB)

At those price points, I don't predict a hit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just a heads up that we now have a platform-agnostic thread for recommending tablets:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483532

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
The Toshiba Excite 7.7 has me searching weekly for news. Same dimensions and AMOLED-type screen as the Galaxy Tab 7.7, plus Tegra 3 guts, ICS stock, and no 3g/4g price hike (wifi only), priced $500.

The only alternative for the size and screen is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (either $700 from Verizon, or cheaper but imported sans USA warranty). If the Samsung 7.7 came here in GSM or wifi form I'd grab it, but a pricey Verizon-locked version drives me away.

Wait for specific reviews of course, but the specs are solid on paper. Any reason not to trust a Toshiba tablet? I don't remember hearing anything bad about the Thrive 10" or 7".

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Hey guys, what's the best (complete/stable) ICS ROM currently for the kindle fire? I noticed that there are several of them?

Either the gedemis or hashcode roms. Beware they're still developing the kernel so they're all a little wonky. It's pretty stable and usable though.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

clockworx posted:

(Unless you mean they'd just use Android without the "Google Experience", which I guess is a definite possibility given that every company seems to have an app market now)

Who has an app market for Android other than Amazon? I honestly can't think of one. Sprint sells their stuff through Google Market Play, but I'm not familiar with the other carriers.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Proteus4994 posted:

Who has an app market for Android other than Amazon? I honestly can't think of one. Sprint sells their stuff through Google Market Play, but I'm not familiar with the other carriers.

No one as big as amazon, but I think archos has one and there's a few other small ones like getjar that tend to be used on the poo poo tablets.

I think I was remembering an article speculating that Samsung will do their own, but don't think they have anything like that at the moment.

VV thanks, don't own a Samsung so I had no idea.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 8, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

clockworx posted:

I think I was remembering an article speculating that Samsung will do their own, but don't think they have anything like that at the moment.
Speculating? The Samsung App Store has been around for quite a while now. They give away games from time to time to try to drive up usage of it.

Slideme and Getjar have some popularity also, and there are other lesser app stores.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been thinking of picking up a tablet, but it basically hinges on one unanswered question that googling has produced only murky results for: I want to know if I can hook up a normal 2.5" external hard drive and watch the many TV shows and movies stored therein. I'm deploying again soon, and the primary role of my laptop last time was to waste time watching movies and such, a job i'd like something like a transformer prime to fill. My concerns are if this is even possible, and if so, would the USB connection from the hard drive to the tablet prevent me from charging it at the same time?

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 8, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's easy with the dock, it has a full-size USB port which is separate from the charge port. The Transformer can even read NTFS-formatted drives.

Without having the keyboard dock, you'd need an adapter, and wouldn't be able to charge at the same time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

I've been thinking of picking up a tablet, but it basically hinges on one unanswered question that googling has produced only murky results for: I want to know if I can hook up a normal 2.5" external hard drive and watch the many TV shows and movies stored therein. I'm deploying again soon, and the primary role of my laptop last time was to waste time watching movies and such, a job i'd like something like a transformer prime to fill. My concerns are if this is even possible, and if so, would the USB connection from the hard drive to the tablet prevent me from charging it at the same time?

The acer Iconia A200 http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-A200-10g16u-10-1-Inch-Screen/dp/B006XGCQ2U is the latest tablet that I know of that has a seperate USB port without a dock. My brother used to have the A500 and the USB on it connected pretty much anything including xbox 360 controllers, wireless keyboard and mice, and Harddrives/Flashdrive.

Edit: Quick question, Are there any 7 Inch models with USB connectivity?

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 8, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah the USB port on the a500 works fine for that. Note having a disk drive dangling from the tablet is very far from ideal from a usability standpoint - usually I'd copy the files temporarily into internal memory (or a microsd card) and unplug the external disk before viewing.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Yeah the USB port on the a500 works fine for that. Note having a disk drive dangling from the tablet is very far from ideal from a usability standpoint - usually I'd copy the files temporarily into internal memory (or a microsd card) and unplug the external disk before viewing.

I use velcro or 3M Dual-lock to prevent the dangle, which turns it basically into a non-issue.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rastor posted:

All we have is rumors. They seem credible, but ultimately, they're rumors.
I actually answered that one recently in the phone thread:

I hate how it lags when I go to the desktop or wake my tablet up. Is there a .ini or something I can edit if I root?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not really. If using a live wallpaper isn't working out for you, you could also try experimenting with a wallpaper tool like Auto resize/DbD Wallpaper Set or Wallpaper Maker.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

Lenovo has their own for their thinkpad tablets.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is on sale over at eBay today (via coupons) for $219. Only $20 more than a Kindle Fire for a "real" tablet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm looking for a secondary power adapter for my original Transformer, has anyone tried this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Product-Adapter-Charger-Transformer/dp/B007CEIPIQ/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2

Jizzle Drizzle
Feb 7, 2005

SKIBI DOO BOP I’M DA SCAT MAN
So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 a few weeks ago, and I've found that if I don't use it for a few hours, it shuts off completely, requiring me to reboot it.

Is this standard behavior?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What Tablets use a standard USB2 or USB3 interface to charge?

Also a good article on Yahoo about picking up a budget tablet.
http://news.yahoo.com/three-tech-gadgets-you-might-be-tempted-to-buy--but-shouldn-t.html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 a few weeks ago, and I've found that if I don't use it for a few hours, it shuts off completely, requiring me to reboot it.

No, just no.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Everybody at my company just got a free Galaxy Tab 2 because we got bought by Samsung. Hooray! :buddy:

Edit: Also, we will be making the new version of Music Hub, for anyone who cares about that

404notfound fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 11, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

b0nes posted:

What Tablets use a standard USB2 or USB3 interface to charge?

Also a good article on Yahoo about picking up a budget tablet.
http://news.yahoo.com/three-tech-gadgets-you-might-be-tempted-to-buy--but-shouldn-t.html
To my knowledge, only the iPad can charge of USB, and even then only slowly without either a special driver or being a Mac.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

It's sending you a message.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

GoodApollo posted:

Either the gedemis or hashcode roms. Beware they're still developing the kernel so they're all a little wonky. It's pretty stable and usable though.

Hey thanks for this , gedemis rom is fantastic!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

To my knowledge, only the iPad can charge of USB, and even then only slowly without either a special driver or being a Mac.
Many newer motherboards are able to pump out more amps for faster charging. USB is always 5v, though, and I know some (maybe all?) Android tablets charge at wacky voltages, so it might not matter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Many newer motherboards are able to pump out more amps for faster charging. USB is always 5v, though, and I know some (maybe all?) Android tablets charge at wacky voltages, so it might not matter.

My TF101, for instance, charges at 15 volts. It does allow charge over regular USB 3.0, but it's very slow in that mode.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am just sick of proprietary chargers.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Are we still expecting a dual core 1280x800 HD 7" Nexus tablet out of Google for the developer conference this year?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you want to charge a whacking great big battery you can do it fast at high voltage (proprietary charger) or slow at low voltage (usb standard)

Unless there's a standard high-er voltage system you use in a bunch of appliances in your house already?

hint: mains electric plus bulky transformers. At the moment these transformers are in your proprietary wall wart, putting them in your tablet would add size & weight.

Jizzle Drizzle
Feb 7, 2005

SKIBI DOO BOP I’M DA SCAT MAN

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

Ok, thanks for confirming what I thought was true. I just had to make sure that it wasn't some dumb power saving feature. Should I try getting it repaired through Samsung support, or just return it to Best Buy and get a new one?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Anybody have any experience with using a PS3 controller with their tablets?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

Everybody at my company just got a free Galaxy Tab 2 because we got bought by Samsung. Hooray! :buddy:

Edit: Also, we will be making the new version of Music Hub, for anyone who cares about that

Is it legal for you to mention which company it was? Also, lucky you :respek:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dodoman posted:

Is it legal for you to mention which company it was? Also, lucky you :respek:.

I work for mSpot, and and it's perfectly legal for me to talk about it since the news kinda went public earlier than we were expecting. And you might hear some numbers being thrown around about the acquisition, but I'm happy to report that they're a little inaccurate about the whole deal.