Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Crackbone posted:

Because Apple controls all the hardware. Realistically, they have maybe 5 devices they need to target. In the OS world that's a piece of cake. They also make money on app sales, which means they have a vested interest in supporting users after the phone is sold.

Android, on the other hand, is the wild west. Every single device out there is different. Different storage space, different processor, different screen size, different wifi/cell hardware. That alone makes it difficult. Additionally, Android phone makers make their money off of selling devices. So it's in their best interests to make the hardware as cheap as possible to keep margins high, AND it's also in their best interest to make you want to buy a new device as often as possible.

And to help spread the blame, device makers don't have any control or direct knowledge of what google will do in new builds. ICS requires more boot partition than your device has? *shrug* sucks to be you. Additionally, new Android releases are usually optimized for a single device/line of devices, and its up to the hardware vendors to make it work for other hardware.

Android's "open" nature means the current state of affairs is how it will probably always be.
It would be nice if there was a standard set of hardware so it could be more like PCs: Variety of hardware, yet still able to get the latest version of Windows (or Linux) in a timely manner.

Unfortunately Google and OEMs have absolutely no reason to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

zer0spunk posted:

I wish someone would lock you in a walled garden.

Is there a reason you keep trolling this thread? Other then to tell us how mediocre our devices are, I mean.

There is no trolling going on, it's just this thread is going on about mediocre Android Tablets, the App thread currently has a list of ways Google sucks and the Recommend me a tablet thread is recommending iPad regardless of what the user says.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Forgive me if this is the improper thread since it's a phone and a tablet but is there going to be a US release of the ASUS Padfone? It's pretty much the device of my dreams but with my luck we'll never see it stateside.
I wouldn't worry about it, it's an Android device made by ASUS so it's a terrible OS on broken hardware you can't get fixed.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, pretty much. People in the Kindle Fire, Nook, and Touchpad markets are at completely different price points than an ipad. If you segmented the market by form factor or price those numbers would look completely different.

I suppose the chart is accurate but its seems deliberately misleading.
Apple has 0% of the 7" market :smugdroid:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I live in NJ and work in NYC. I take public transportation for an hour each way, and transfer trains. I also right a lot of other public transportation (subways, buses, metro trains) to and from clients, so I see a decent cross section of people, in an environment where a tablet is really handy. I sort of make it a point to look around and see who has what tablets and make a mental note.

I see about a 50/50 split between iPads and Kindles. I've seen only a handful of Kindle Fires. I see Nook Colors occasionally too, and oddly enough they are usually running CM7. I'd guess that I've seen about twenty or thirty of them. I've seen only three Xooms since it was launched, and I've never seen either an Asus or a Samsung tablet.
I live/work in NYC and see quite a few 7" tablets (not counting basic black and white e-reader), maybe slightly more than I see iPads. I can't tell what 7" tablets they are since they're usually in a case, could be Kindle Fire, Nook Color, Galaxy Tab, etc. Maybe because on a crowded train standing up the 7" is easier to hold?

I've very rarely seen a 10" Android tablet though.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There's no loving way Google can handle updates for every device made going forward.
Maybe there are some standards with Jellybean. By standards I don't mean something as strict as Windows Phone, but standards like Windows desktop/laptop.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Standards don't mean much if there is no way to impose them. Remember the 18 month commitment.
"Do this or no access to the Google Play Store (and/or any Google made app) for you. Enjoy making an entire 3rd party market where everyone has to resubmit apps like Amazon."

I'm not saying it would happen though. I still believe the blurb about the tablet is what we're all saying. That it, unlike other tablets, will get updates from Google.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

That's what I'm thinking too. 8GB on my Kindle Fire is extremely restrictive and there's really no reason to consider replacing it if the Nexus tablet won't have a way for me to put my own storage in.

And Google wants to pull an Apple and charge $50 for another 8GB of flash? No thanks.

All the more reason to have your stuff in *~the cloud~*

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which is becoming more difficult with capped data plans.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Until carriers gently caress you over with tiered data plans.
But this is the tablet thread and the Nexus tablet supposedly is wi-fi only. Unless of course you're referring to non-mobile data plans, which I'm not sure about.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

The fact that "CMX-HD" which are the very high resolution comics from comiXology are only available on the iPad 3 would lead me to say no. All tablets are pretty good for reading comics but until there are some Android/WP8 tablets with 250+ ppi then stick to a retina device.
Using Apple's own formula, the Nexus 7 is "Retina"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Movendi posted:

I just got a 7.7 and i am pretty disappointed that androids can't multi task streaming audio/video.

I tried streaming music in the default browser, dolphin hd, firefox, maxathon and none of them let's you stream music/podcast from a webpage and leave it in the background. Audio stops when you open new tab, open browser settings or basically touch anything that brings up a new pop up or switch screens.
Does whatever you're trying to stream have an app?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So now that the Nexus 7 is official, the rumormill starts again, this time with Nexus 10

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Saw that, still thought it was worth asking the question. I don't think there's anyone that would mind paying a few extra dollars/shekels for the ability to instantly add 32GB of space to their tablet.
You act as though cost of the device is the only reason to not include it. Doctor rear end in a top hat has laid it that there are other reasons as well.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

Whatever Google or anyone else's opinion on flash may be, it's still quite important to me since over 90% of the sites i visit on my tablet are focused around flash. I will avoid the update if I lose flash in firefox
As a web developer, I'm curious, what are these 90%+ sites?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

randyest posted:

But the 8G and 16G models are hitting clearance in less than 6 months so wouldn't it make sense that we can expect discounted 32G models by next spring, if not sooner, brought on by the next gen models and or iPad mini pressure etc?

But by then you could hypothetically be waiting on 64gb to go on clearance, or a second gen Nexus 7 to go on clearance, etc

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Is there a certain LeapFrog model that it looks like? The few images I've seen don't look anything like the Nexus 10 images.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Any idea of Nexus 10s in a brick and morter store? I'd like to try it out in person first.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Can someone with a Nexus 10 post some screenshots of the iHeartRadio app? I want to see how bad it looks since there is no tablet version.
Bonus points if Pandora/rdio/Spotify do have a tablet version.

I still haven't seen a Nexus 10 in stores (I'd like to it first hands before buying)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ooh thanks, I see there is also Pandora there, albeit during browsing but still just as bad.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The probably could put it into youtube. The hardest part of implementing it is probably just finding a way select the area the search for. Google already does reverse image search.

Probably a lot of legal/privacy issues too. If you're in a feature film, you've already given them rights to your likeness or whatever. Random video of Jimmy's 5th birthday, not so much.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So with the Nexus 5 released and no Nexus 10, the rumor mill has started about a Nexus 8

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I don't believe the Nexus 8 either, not enough screen size difference from the Nexus 7. I do wonder why no Nexus 10 refresh though. Did it sell so poorly that Google isn't bothering? Maybe it's so good there is nothing to improve on :v:.

What advantages do tablets have over phones other than screen size? I was thinking about getting a tablet since reading/watching things on this 3.7" screen is a little tight. However, in a few days I'll have a 4.96" screen with the Nexus 5, so I don't know if it would be worth it at that point.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Point and laugh at cakefool time.

:cawg:

For content: Get that rumor mill hype train started. Google to launch new Nexus 10 tablet next week. http://mashable.com/2013/11/16/google-nexus-10-launch/?utm_cid=mash-com-g+-main-photo

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

With October gone, I would think any Nexus tablet would be June/July like the Nexus 7s, possibly May(?) during Google I/O.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

fondue posted:

In glad to read that! I've been waiting since the rumors of a refresh for the 10 floated around. My tf201 is getting long in tooth.
Current rumors point it to being an 8" device, not 10". Of course emphasizing rumors since we don't know anything for sure until Google officially announces it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

davey4283 posted:

Anybody know how to stop sites from redirecting to the mobile view?

I'm on a brand new galaxy tab s3 running 4.4.2.

Edit, or let me know if there's a better thread for this question. Thanks.

In Chrome there is "request desktop site".

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Of course there are especially lovely sites that somehow use even more insidious methods to determine mobileness and for those, that option will have no effect. You'll run into these sooner or later.
Are you referring to sites that use Responsive Web Design?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

So, uh, i still don't have Android L on my Nexus 7 - 2013... what percentage of users should have the update by now?

Maybe a slight delay to just go straight to 5.0.1?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

docbeard posted:

Not that I'm planning on it any time soon, I quite like my 2013 N7, but were I to want to upgrade to something better, but of a similar size (so the Nexus 9 isn't really an option), what would be my best choice among the Android tablets? Aside from "wait for Google to come to their senses and release a 2015 N7", I guess.)

At the current rate, if Google releases a Nexus 7 in 2015, it'll be a phone.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Those of you with a Nexus 9 can now finally have 5.1

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Still completely nothing on the 5.1.1 front for the N9. Google has a very different definition of "today" than everyone else.

"Starting today" so if at least one person got it Google is accurate.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

We have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to do some testing on at work (yes I know it's old). How likely is it that it can be modded to support Qi? It uses the wider, proprietary, "we did this because Apple", kind of charging port instead of MicroUSB.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

...and full Chrome (which is long overdue on Android.)
what do you mean by this? What does Chrome on Android lack that Chrome on (ChromeOS?, Windows, OS X, Linux?) has?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nintendo games on a tablet screen would be a nightmare.
I'm sure Nintendo could make good touch-screen-only games.
Porting games with a software controller taking up half the screen would be a nightmare if that's what you mean, though.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How come the Android tablet market is such a poo poo show at the moment?

Lack of demand in general I would think.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Magog posted:

Stop actually responding to my stupid quip. :(
That's Poe's Law for you :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

But tablets are going to kill computers! Right after netbooks kill laptops!
What's a computer? :downs: