Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamBishop posted:

I just installed it and I'm in love. There's no longer a huge delay in entering text in the default browser and the new font is much easier to read. Scrolling seems a little smoother too. It's not perfect, but it's steadily getting better.

Glad they fixed the typing speed issue. I've noticed it's totally fine on my Galaxy Nexus but I didn't want to get my hopes up and see it still sucking on my tablet. I can't believe that one made it out of Google's QA department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamBishop posted:

I honestly thought it was just an issue with Xooms in particular, but the fact that it was OS-wide AND that they never bothered to fix it is what drove me to use your fine work on the Awful App. Despite the browser humming along now, I will continue to use Awful because it somehow feels more "right" for the tablet -- and phone!

Thanks for your continued drive to improve and update it. My Xoom and I are in your debt.

True fact: that bug is why I ported Awful to tablets so quickly. It's also just plain faster than the browser anyways now.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

koshmar posted:

So I just got my Prime and I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone who has gotten a Prime case recommend one. Also what games/emulators are you running. I've been working to get Baldurs Gate 2 up and running with Gemrb. I was wondering if there were any market games worth my time.

I played the entire Quest for Glory series on Andosbox this summer. It works pretty well, though using the mouse takes a little getting used to.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

The Awful Android app is a good example of this - I think later versions even include a 3rd layout targeted at Google TV.

Yup, correct. All under probably 100 lines of code total.

Kynetx posted:

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Scaling really shouldn't be a headache. Don't forget that the platform was built for fragmentation since 1.6. If you know what you're doing, scaling across devices/screens is an afterthought.

Work in DIPs instead of pixels, this alone will guarantee consistency of hardcoded size values across screen sizes. Also, learn how the resource selectors work and how to utilize fragments, they're all there to help you.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TildeATH posted:

You must be new to this thread...

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet.

Inkscape/GIMP/OpenOffice aren't exactly trivial to port...

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nevett posted:

Does Ice Cream Sandwich make significant upgrades to the browser compared to 3.1 on a Galaxy Tab 10.1? Maybe people who have tried a custom ROM can say.

I have to make a web app specifically for these devices, so I'm trying to decide whether to bust my rear end trying to work around some annoying issues, or if I can assume they'll go away when Samsung gets an update out. There's no way I'm installing a custom ROM on our customer's devices, of course.

Specifically, the scrolling goes really jerky when I use certain CSS techniques like position:fixed or overflow:scroll. CSS transition/animation performance seems generally quite poor as well. There's also some weird bugs like :active pseudoclasses not working.

I haven't dug in a ton with ICS features since most Awful tablet users are still on 3.x but I would probably say assume the issues persist. Post or send me a link with examples of what you're seeing and I can try them out in both the ICS browser and Chrome for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ozmodiar posted:

Thanks.

No two pane view with Betamax?What was the full story with Ferg? Just not enough time to develop?

It started with not enough time to develop and then when I had time I found I just didn't have much desire anymore. Geekner has been keeping it fresh.