Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So... is this thread specifically for android tablets or are those of us with windows based tablets allowed in here as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

So I did this earlier, and it blew my loving mind:

It's useless for me, in practice, but still super loving neat. I discovered it while disabling bundled software (thanks for the ability to do that, ICS).

What exactly did you do here? All I see is your streamed desktop from Splashtop?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The only thing keeping me from going completely digital with notes at school is the fact that I don't have a good stylus to use. Capacitive with the fat bubble on end blows so much. Super low precision.

If that Samsung tablet comes out and weighs little / has a stylus, I'm so getting it.

Hell, if the iPad 3 came out with a digitizer stylus I'd get that and I really don't like Apple so that's saying something. Not attempting a derail, just saying, to me a stylus would make or break my next tablet purchase. That's all.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I think the market saturation for android is double edged, honestly. On one side, more people are getting to experience a more opened environment with other options than what they may have seen on ios.

The other side of that is, and some of this is from what the above article shows, a fair number of people are getting to "experience" android on lovely devices that barely run the system let alone take advantage of it.

I'm sure the same lackluster feel would be similar and just as aggravating on ios if their system were allowed to be on any hardware a developer feels sufficient to run it.

I can't help but feel like a good number of people pick up a <$150 tablet from some cheapo Chinese company and say "Man, I should have gotten an iPad! This Android crap is horrible!" Even though their tablet was about 1/3rd the price of an ipad, they compare the system and not the hardware or manufacturer.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Ditch a good processor and lower the price to "It's cheap enough that I'll buy it!" territory so more people can think Android is a terrible system because it's displayed on garbage hardware? SOUNDS GOOD GUYS LET'S DO MORE OF THAT!

Android is to Tablets what Aldi is to Poor People Grocery Stores

edit: I like Android, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm sad the system keeps being sold on poo poo hardware just because it can be. Apple sells their tablets for a premium, with good hardware. Why won't a company take a chance at making a high end Android tablet that really showcases the system? Other than the Transformer, I mean, since that's had myriad problems since day 1.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 16, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

If I wanted an android tablet, I'd be looking at the galaxy tab 10.1 or the prime.

What about this Toshiba Thrive? actual USB port makes it appealing to me, but it's not a necessity I guess.

Price isn't really a problem and I don't want an iPad. I like the android environment and I want to play the apps I've purchased for my phone on a larger screen. I've found that I like the games...but playing them on a 5" screen with my fingers monopolizing various amounts of real estate during gameplay is annoying. Doing this on a larger screen would easily be more enjoyable.

I actually want the Note tab when it comes out...but I have no idea when that will be. If it's in the next couple of months, I can wait.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

^^^^^ Is there a 10.1" option for that?

Well for me, the thing with tablets is I DO NOT care about the camera. My phone does that for me just fine and it isn't like holding up a text book to take a mediocre picture. So with any tablet, cameras will go 100% unused. I don't Skype and I'm not an amateur photographer.

I had a W500 tablet which was cool but I ultimately found that the purpose I intended it for wasn't possible in the capacity I wanted it. Most games I tried to run forced mouse position in the center of the screen so any movement with my finger would result in crazy camera spinning. Then I started to notice that I didn't play most of my phone's games because the tiny screen made them largely un-fun.

The thrive has that rubberized back and side which makes it more appealing because it won't slip around everywhere and the weight isn't a problem to me because I don't have the grip strength of a kindergartener.

Still though, I want the note tablet. Is there information on an actual release date or do we just know that it's coming?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

rock2much posted:

Is the Galaxy Tab the tablet to have now?

I believe the consensus is the Galaxy Tab or Transformer Prime.

I want a release date for the Galaxy Note Tab =[

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E8TWPU/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

New Acer tablet on Amazon

Key Features:
10.1” HD Multi-Touch Display: (1280 x 800) resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
Android™ 4.0 Operating System (Ice Cream Sandwich)
NVIDIA® Tegra™ 3 Quad Core Mobile Processor (1.3GHz) Super 4-PLUS-1™ Quad Core with Battery Saver Core
1GB DDR2 Memory
Ultra Low Power (ULP) High Performance 12-core NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU
32GB internal storage
MicroSD memory slot up to 32GB
Dolby® Mobile 3 Technology
Stereo Speakers
Dual-Analog Microphone
802.11b/g/n Wireless
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
1- Micro-HDMI™ Out
5MP Rear-Facing Camera with Auto Focus
1MP Front-Facing HD Camera
Sensors:G-Sensor, E-Compass, L Sensor, Gyro-meter
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer Battery
Up to 11-hours of Video Playback via Wi-fi(1)(1) Battery life varies depending on product specifications, tablet settings and applications or features launched.
Up to 13-hours of Video Playback one system(2) (2) Battery life varies depending on product specifications, tablet settings and applications or features launched. Video Playback on system (Not streaming Wi-fi off)
Color: Black

$449.99

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

No standard USB on device, though that's not an uncommon omission for tablets.

I too prefer tablets with USB without needing a dock connector or some kind of dongle. I wish manufacturers would just put one on; I have a feeling it's motivated by money though. MicroUSB probably promotes additional storage sales through specific vendors where regular USB facilitates storage from just about everyone.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

What's app compatibility like on the kindle fire assuming I root and side load Google play? Will I be able to play most if not all of my purchases?

Edit: will I even need to root to use Play? I've used the fire exactly one time a month ago

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Good enough. I really want to use it as a reader but I know myself. I'll be playing stupid games more than reading.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Samsung has gotten much better about hardware over the last few years, that's for sure.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

True story. I'm excited for the note tablet, if it runs Tegra 3 I'm buying the hell out of it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

eric posted:

That's a hiccup?

At least that's fixable over a quick patch. Compared to the Samsung of what, 2 years ago, that's amazing.

It seems like with the increased demand of tablets some companies are really proving what they're capable of while others with previously middling to positive reputations are really dropping the ball hardcore. Samsung's trying to be an Apple clone while slowly becoming better and better, ASUS and Acer are showing they CAN make a good product but have horrible to non-existing QA, and Apple seems to have decided to sit a round out on the idea theft and amazing innovations to let other people play catch up.

Through my horrible ability to be patient once I really want something I picked up a galaxy tab 10.1. My entire plan right now is to keep this thing picture perfect until the note tab is released then sell it for a little less than I paid for it brand new. I'll use that money to buy a note tab and be happy as can be with a tablet that can truly replace notebooks in class for me. Though I'll still have to carry a regular notebook around with me for random in-class assignments I'll be able to do much of my work digitally and have backup in case I lose a printout or something.

edit: I wanted a kindle fire to read books on but convinced myself to get a larger screen which I know I'd prefer in the long run. So far, I HAVE read some of a book on it so I'm sticking to my original plan of "get this to be more mentally productive"

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

randyest posted:

What does this mean?

I'm not going to discuss it here to avoid seeming like a troll or causing a huge problem with peoples OS of choice. I'd voice my opinion over PM but that's about it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'll have to sell my tablet in a couple of weeks before it's devalued by newer hardware at cheaper prices...which will work for me since playing with new toys is totally worth it and I'm turbo excited for What's Next.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'd love a 13" tablet. I use mine for playing random games, browsing on the Awful app, reading, and propped up streaming Netflix.

I simply don't use my tablet for hours on end and I decide to do something else long before any type of fatigue sets in.

If I could get a 13" tablet version of the Note, I'd buy the poo poo out of it right this instant.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

zachol posted:

Headphone jack is wonky, bumping it sometimes (?) makes it restart, the dock occasionally just stops working, etc.

This is horrible build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I ended up going through two tablets before I swallowed my nerd pride and just got a kindle. My original need was a tablet that I could play some of my games on but mostly use it for reading. I ended up reading on a heavy rear end tablet that was a pain in the rear end to hold up in bed when I was starting to get sleepy. Traded that in for a galaxy tab, which was really awesome but ended up primarily being a kindle. Like, I rarely did anything else on it so I decided to sell it before its price dropped significantly when cheaper, more efficient devices started being released.

Bought the 80 dollar kindle and haven't felt like I've lost anything at all. Plus, e-ink is loving aaaaaaamazing. I just wish the standard kindle had a light attached to it or a backlight you could toggle. I love it so much, I wish I picked one up ages ago.