Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I just ordered the MoKo(TM) Premium Quality Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case for my Transformer Prime. It looks to be more like a smart-case kind of cover and smaller than the one I currently have. It also happens to be in stock which is a nice feature for these cases. I'll update /w a review once it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What is the recommended PDF reader for the tablet? The official Adobe one closes and restarts PDFs on the first page when I task switch which is just loving stupid.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to completely reset and reimage a Transformer Prime? Mine is being a bit wonky and I want to push the reset switch before I complain. I'm thinking something like what I can do with my Nexus.

Or is it time to unlock and install a 3rd party ROM? Instructions and recommendations for that course of action?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sleazy P posted:

Hi guys, I'm really in need of some help here.

I bought a google nexus 10 for my mom for christmas, and being that isn't isn't the most tech savvy person in the world I went about trying to set up some basic things for her. However, I'm having some major problems with the google play store.

Whenever I enter the play store and attempt to update the apps already installed on the tablet (like youtube, gmail, maps) or download new apps, the download will never initialize. It gets stuck saying "downloading", and no progress is ever made.

I've tried everything I can think of (which admittedly isn't much), including:

- the troubleshooting instructions given by google: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1067233
- resetting my router and trying the download again
- setting the wireless on the device to use Googles public DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

But nothing seems to work. All of this has left me really disappointed, and I would appreciate any help.

My tablet used to do this when moving between WiFi access points, something doesn't like the changes in the network. Could be caused by terrible WiFi AP implementations/poor signal.

Go into Apps-> All Apps and find something like 'Download Manager' (EDIT: Maybe 'Downloads'? Try that if the previous doesn't work), Force Stop, Clear Data, etc. Then go and retry those downloads. Should get you back up and running.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Do we have a minimal case recommendation for the new N7 yet? Or a recommended Qi charger for my nightstand so I don't have to plug this thing in?

I picked one up to try the smaller form factor from a Transformer Prime and I'm really impressed. The TPrime will probably end up in SAMart this weekend. Now that I don't travel anymore the expandable storage and HDMI out doesn't matter anymore. I like the "paperback" feel of the nexus.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I picked up the little LG puck QI charger from a Verizon store today.

Is the charger/my Nexus 7 supposed to get really hot when charging?

It will get a little warm, and will be warmer if you do not have the coils lined up correctly.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Google Nexus 10 Refurbs are Woot's deal of the day. Could be a sign that a new N10 is on its way and they're trying to clear out inventory.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone else playing with L on their N7FHD? It actually feels slower than the 4.4.4 release I had on their earlier, but I can't tell if that is just the side effect of animations instead of jump-cuts.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Everything I've read says just having the bootloader unlocked on a stock, unrooted ROM will prevent Android Pay from working after it runs its check (meaning you might get one use after adding the card).

Not affecting me at all here and I've used Android Pay several times. I always unlock my bootloader but remain otherwise stock. I like being able to force the situation if I absolutely must.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

My Pixel C actually has run better since Nougat. It's buttery smooth and apps run super fast. I'd still highly recommend it.

Wouldn't hurt to wait a few days in case they announce something at io.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

They don't really announce Android hardware at I/O these days. There was Home but that didn't turn up for another six months.

They haven't the last few years, but seriously, its tomorrow, it won't hurt to wait a day and see if they say anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My daughter has a Fire HD 10 (2018? Whatever the previous generation was) and it's just gotten so godawful slow. I'm considering upgrading to something with some more power. Is there a sweet spot in the 10 inch screen market where it won't lag really bad, but preferably under $250? I have no problem buying used off Swappa; I just don't know what's good and what's not.

edit: how's the 2019 Samsung Tab A?

Bought a 2019 Tab A for kiddo. Its not exactly super fast, but workable for Angry Birds, Monument Valley, Disney+, etc.

EDIT: The amount of RAM varies with the size of storage you buy, so make an informed purchase. I went low since I knew kiddo wasn't going to be on the web.