Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TildeATH posted:

Other than that I haven't noticed a difference beyond a general snappiness to everything.

It's kind of dumb it's taken Google this frigging long to add 2d hardware acceleration to Android like desktop OSes have had since about 1995, but I'm certainly glad they did. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crash74 posted:

The power cord that comes with the galaxy is god awful, at only 3' long I can never use it while it is charging and the silly usb power block drops out of the socket. Has anyone found a good alternative with a cord with 6' or so? A real plug on the end would help to.

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, can't you just use a USB extension cord? There's nothing magic about the Galaxy power/USB cords, it's still just four wires wrapped in rubber.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Corvid posted:

Action Shot:

I...what. That's a motherboard, not a tablet. I'm confused.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TildeATH posted:

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android.

The trouble with this idea is that literally everything on Android except the kernel is different from desktop Linux, from the libc on up (and said libc leaves out features required by the standard because Android doesn't need it), because Google hate the GPL. Google have gone out of their way to keep the open source community's stuff off of Android. In some ways it's easier to port <insert open source app here> to Windows, and that's before taking into account that you generally want mobile and desktop UIs to work differently.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Didn't HC have hardware acceleration as well? People were still reporting problems with that on the last page. Or are you talking about something else?

HC introduced optional support for hardware acceleration for Skia (the 2d graphics library) and allowed applications to specify that they could handle it - so to see it in effect you had to have both an app and a tablet with acceleration enabled.

ICS made Skia acceleration mandatory for any Google-approved device and turns it on by default for any application built for ICS. There's also an option in the developer menu to force it on for all applications all the time, but that might cause UI glitches; YMMV.

Words here -

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/googles-dianne-hackborn-dispels-android-hardware-acceleration-myths/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Remember windows mobile? Where every menu, button, and item was so small that it required a stylus to tap it? Even the native keyboard required a stylus.

To be fair, the technology of the time kind of required it. Screens were pretty small and low-res, and capacitative touchscreens weren't a thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jc821 posted:

How can these manufacturers not get their poo poo together with ICS but the 3GS can run iOS 5? The way this is going 90% of Android devices will still be running 2.3 in 2015.

To add to what was said earlier - they're hardware manufacturers. Software porting isn't where they make their money or where most of their work is, so they've got a few random dudes working for them who do the initial port and then the ports of updated versions of Android. Apple, on the other hand, both make the hardware and have the guys who wrote iOS working for them. Much handier if some problem crops up during porting or whatever.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ferg posted:

I haven't dug in a ton with ICS features since most Awful tablet users are still on 3.x but I would probably say assume the issues persist. Post or send me a link with examples of what you're seeing and I can try them out in both the ICS browser and Chrome for you.

Actually, I want to say ICS completely retooled the browser - and brought in mandatory 2d acceleration, though I don't know if CM brought that in - so maybe not.
You could also try forcing hardware acceleration - 'Force GPU Rendering' in the Development menu.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nukethewhales posted:

Have any companies even demonstrated GPU chipsets that can outperform what's in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX) yet? ASUS might end up undoing Google's attempt at smoothing the UI out in Ice Cream Sandwich if they're not careful.

Nah, 2d hardware acceleration (scrolling and stuff for example) is really pretty light on the GPU. If they hit problems, it would show up mostly with 3d games, presumably in the fragment shader area.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

This is getting out of my expertise, but I have friends who are full time app developers, and at the very least on the phone side don't have too many issues getting their apps to scale correctly for different screens and resolutions (only exception really being low end Android phones).

This is correct. Good programmers do not design apps that are based around the idea of 'this bit of the UI should occupy exactly this many pixels'. A well-written app will scale. If you write your UI like it's 1995 and manually position everything, not only will your app not scale properly but it also can't be internationalised properly because given strings of text are longer or shorter in other languages and won't fit in the same screen size.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tunga posted:

It's the same price as the N10 so the price is not exactly unprecedented. Although that didn't exactly sell in great numbers.

I'm british, I bought an n10 and it cost nowhere near half a grand.
(And indeed the preorder price is 320 pounds)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

Doesn't the Shield K1 have a Tegra K1 in it though? I thought those were terrible, given the bad reviews of the Nexus 9, does it not suck rear end with Marshmallow finally?

Oh right, it's because the N9 used that special crappy 64-bit 'Denver' ARM variant, but I guess the Shield K1 is still 32-bit

On that note, I wonder what the Tegra X1 is like in the Pixel C (and whatever the next Shield tablet is probably)

I'd kind of like to hear what the Pixel C's like too if anyone has one, because I'm thinking of upgrading to it from my Nexus 10 at some point.
(And yes, having a non-terrible 64 bit processor is one reason why)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Um. Ash and burning smell? You should probably get rid of that as it sounds like a portable house fire.

Im guessing Finster meant the tablet not the charger.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, they spiked the quality too - a Pixel is definitely a few grades above a Nexus.

Depends on a Nexus what. I was/am pretty happy with my Nexus 10; not all Nexus releases are full of lemons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xaarman posted:

Costco has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" for $379 which was looking good until I read some mediocre reviews online. Costco also has a Galaxy Tab A but the screen looked a little small

I have one of these (pre-refresh version) and it's just fine as far as I'm concerned, lovely and light too. The pre-refresh ones come with Android 5 and are rootable (meaning you can remove all the Samsung crapware), the post-refresh ones with Android 6 and aren't, if that matters to you.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

People just don't want tablets that much these days.

Or they do, but already have a tablet, and don't upgrade at the rate people do with phones. I know I don't (though that said I had my last phone for five years, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

The Pixel Slate was the last one.

The 9 was the last Android one, though.