Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

You have problems? Go into an actual brick and mortar store and get it replaced by guys who know what they're doing. You don't live close to one? Call Apple Care and get an English speaking guy from the same country you're calling from and get help.

Apple also has a good business practice where the customer is always right, and a very high reputation to uphold so they'll bend over backwards for their consumers

Their products are so popular that random stores stock random accessories - you can't go into one mall without finding a slew of cases or cords.

They are also so popular that the products will continue to be supported for years to come, and because it's so popular you know you're not buying into something that will phase out with it's own competitor in the same year.

People keep recommending Apple because it's like recommending it to a friend - you want to say what's best and what will work the most. You wouldn't tell someone to buy an Android that requires root and the exclusion of a front facing camera or Netflix because of it. This thread is evidence enough that it's just the wild west with Android and no one knows what the gently caress they want/are doing

Probably the truest post ever written in this forum. Until google has a brick and motor presence and releases devices from them first party, Android will never be able to match the quality and customer experience that iOS has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Seriouslly, I thought there were rule changes to police the blatant trolling coming in from YOSPOS.

I'm not trolling, one of Android's faults is that the customer has no real comfortable place to go for support, other than returning an item back to the store they brought it from, possibly paying restocking fees. There really should be an Android store but not like anything from that concept place that was going around a few months ago.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Actually now that I think of it a google store would just make everyone on XDA mad because obviously hacked devices wouldn't be supported anyway.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Appreciating excellent customer service from the most popular and well regarded manufacturer of consumer electronics is naive because they do it for marketing?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

El Duke posted:

this analogy doesn't work. People don't buy old POS cars to fix them up so they have a fully working POS car in the end. They buy cars to restore them to former glory. Same with bikes. People don't waste their time loving with stuff that was poo poo in the first place. They repair quality to bring it back to quality.

Actually if you think about it, Android rooting is more akin to gluing gears to a car/bike to make it steampunk.

vvv Why would you need a colour, non eink display to read a book? To see the cover?

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 29, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'd point the Apple supporters here to this article on MacStories that points out that the iOS stock system, specifically the launcher, is far from perfect.

All that's saying is someone's opinion on how the home screen started as one thing and is now another. Nitpicking about what pictures the icons have? I mean, come on. It's not commenting on its usability, stability or anything else, it's about the theoretical concept of "badges on a table."

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 29, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

If someone is advised that fixing up a nook can make it into a mediocre tablet how is that bad advice? If they don't have the time they won't do it, and frankly a lot of you are overestimating how much time it takes to put the latest cyanogen mod on a Noook. I'm not advocating this for people who can afford iPad's or primes or whatever.

People who can't afford iPads or Primes probably also don't have a tablet already or are new to tablets, so recommending to hack an ebook reader into tablet is a dual concern. For one you won't be able to get support for it since it voids the warranty, so someone who buys an ebook reader and hacks it into a tablet because they could only afford it and screws up the process is now out of luck with a defective device they could barely afford (I say barely because not being able to afford ~$300 for a used device versus a $99 ebook reader is student/poverty ratio of income for toys most likely).

So in that case, it's rather poor advice.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
The little thing for the iPhone that comes with a fisheye and macro lens is pretty great, though. It just snaps on the side. Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Also to clarify some other wrong information, styluses are mostly designed for art related programs on the iPad, not as a means of direct input functionality.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
WebOS is really good, it's just a shame HP didn't know what to do with it.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I've never seen anyone with an Android tablet in the wild, let alone at a party.

I'm like that with booze though.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
How? You plug devices in and they show up in the sidebar and tick to sync over Wifi if you want it. Hell, my 70 year old dad can manage.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Some software coming out will probably take more advantage of the higher resolution display or the more RAM or any of the other new features. It's futureproofing in these cases. The same could be said of tablets that will be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich and tablets that won't have Ice Cream Sandwich but are less expensive.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
It's probably worth keeping or getting the new iPad if only for the sunk cost of your purchased iOS apps.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Can someone seriously explain the idea of buying cheap tablets with known issues and faults for the purpose of "tinkering?" I seriously don't understand it.

I mean people put Linux on computers to tinker with because it's fun For them to explore a technical focused operating system, but in the end if you get bored you can always go back to osx or Windows.

With Android tablets, they're designed to be a self contained environment that does one thing - act as a tablet operating system for browsing, buying applications, etc. There's really no need to add any extra technical expertise to the experience. There's also no need to have it designed for a specific purpose because there are computers designed to do specific things like act as a server or media center for a price well under what a tablet designed as an interactive environment can offer.

In essence a tablet is a toy, not a computer. Trying to make it something it's not doesn't seem worth it. The idea of people buying low quality, often broken from the manufacturer tablets for purposes of experimentation seems so counter productive that I can't wrap my head around it.

I mean you don't buy Walmart brand TVs to turn them into oscilloscopes.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Be sure to teach mom how to root and use the search function before asking questions.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Please don't buy a used device from Craigslist for your mother. Android or not that's a really scummy half-assed thing to do. She's your mother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I've never seen an Android tablet in Boston in the wild, never seen a portable video game being played either, thankfully.