Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got my Asus TF-201 with 4.1.2 and rooted. Is there any modified Asus skin upgraded to 4.3? or should I just try to get a CM/whatever for it? I want to update my OS but I don't know if its worth to lose my Asus built-in apps like Asus Battery wich shows my tablet and docking battery life and the power management modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AlexF posted:

Tablet just came back from Asus (was sent there by the retailer - Media Markt - I bought it from) who found "no fault at all", except that now it's even worse than before. I'm sure it'll fall apart within six months. I really like this thing, but if this is the quality standard and support to expect from Asus I'll switch in a heartbeat. Will send it back in and see what happens.

I've own several Asus products (right now a Transformer Prime) and they all worked flawlessly, and the only problem I had was years ago with a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT that had a non working fan and they just replaced my card instantly. I live in Spain and both Asus and Gigabyte have fantastic support. I'm sure that after the second repair request, if it still comes with that problem, Media Markt will replace your unit and they'll do their thing with Asus.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I mostly watch films, read cooking recipes and play some games with my TF201, so 10" feels perfect. But not that good for my short distance traveling (45-50 mins in train). I know that I'll end getting a N7 but I want to resist. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've had an Asus TF Prime with the dock for almost 2 years and I love it. Recently I unlocked it and flashed an unofficial CM 10.2 for it and not only I have no complaints, but it scratched the itch I had for a nexus tablet. Hate on Asus all you want, mine is awesome :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think I could live with an android phone unrooted. I love greenify and removing loads of poo poo from being running so much.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Going from Dalvik to ART gave me an extra 2 hours of screen time and battery life.

ART is the best.

I'm still with 4.3 and I don't think I'm going to 4.4 until CM gets a stable 11 release.

I use greenify because it kills apps like soundcloud or facebook when I forget to log out. I like having 2 days of battery life on my S4.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

And I'm pretty sure this was a direct descendent of all the cargo-cult tweaking of config.sys and autoexec.bat that mayyybe would let you load your CD-ROM driver AND your sound card driver with enough low RAM that you could still play Kings Quest.

I had to do that the first time I tried to play DooM, then I upgraded to a 486 DX2 @ 66Mhz with 8Mb ram, was like going from a Nokia N70 to a Galaxy S I9000 (this was literally for me) :black101:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 7 can't do every codec. If MX Player and Dice aren't working, try Plex.

I went back from ART to Dalvik on my phone. I don't see that big of a change on it. Plus, I'm tired of switching the runtimes just to play PAD. :v: I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I'll see how the Nexus 7 fares with ART for a little bit when I'm not at home and probably won't charge it every night.

I probably won't be replacing my 2013 Nexus 7 until 2015, but this looks nice for the phone I'm planning on picking up in 2014. Maybe Intel will snag the next Nexus or Moto X if this happens.

I've tried briefly an Asus Fonepad using a Z2420 and was surprised how smooth it was. I want to point it was just a 10 minute session with it, messing, installing apps and so but hey, Intel is really huge and I'm sure that they can push enough to get more market.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

I had a complaint which made me return mine. It simply was too slow rendering and dealing with large textbook PDFs. The screen size is another story and that wasn't great for that purpose either, but if panning around was smooth I would have been fine with it.

Not sure if it's an issue with the hardware as some PDF readers worked better, but overall it was pretty abysmal even compared to the old iPad mini.

I think that's more of a software issue than hardware since both the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 have higher specs. The only thing that makes my Asus TF201 slow is huge PDF documents, aside from that and after changing Asus' 4.1.1 for a CM 10.2, everything is smooth.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nmfree posted:

:hfive: keyboard dock with battery buddy.

/clutches my TF101

TF201 with CM 10.2 Asus buddy :hfive:

I can outlast anything with the dock while using a wireless mouse.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's my only "but" to the TF201, it only has 512mb RAM but considering that I bought it on January 2012 and all the use It's been through, I can't complain. It literally killed my netbook (wich I rarely touch unless is to play Doom or some steam games when I'm not at home).

All things considered, I may get a nexus (more likely a 7) by the end of 2014 because I'm a sucker for stock android and performance.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kri kri posted:

Digitimes reporting that a Nexus 8 is in the works

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140207PD201.html

Welp, now that I was convincing myself about getting a Nexus 7 for my weekly train traveling. I gifted my sister a cheap Acer 8" tablet this xmas and that size looked perfect, yet the Nexus 7 screen is all sorts of amazing for magazine reading and gaming.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Horn posted:

If you really want an 8" tablet the G Pad looks promising. This is pretty much what I'd expect from an 8" nexus, down even to the lack of an sd card.

It sucks that all the Google Play Editions aren't available in Spain. 8" isn't a must for me, 7" is already good considering that I actually own an Asus TF201 wich is still serving me well but after trying a Nexus 7 is just like night and day performance wise.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That 70s Shirt posted:

Yeah, that didn't work either. I did find a solution, though. I tried the "direct" link using the router's WPS button and that works until I actually power down my tablet, then I need to do it again. So I guess as long as I only let it hibernate I should be okay. Thanks for the advice , though.

Try changing your wireless settings con your router. The option "Mode 11/bgn mixed" to 11/bg mixed. That worked for me with my TF201 at home.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 23, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Unfortunately GPE devices are all US-only, so a lot of us still rely on getting excited about the possibility of a more widely released Nexus device.

Pretty much this. I would buy a Gpad GPE right now to get rid of my huge Asus TF201, and I think I'm going to hold for the next Nexus tablet and see what it is. Worst case scenario is buying a N7 2013 wich is great, so waiting is well worth the wait.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Ordered my Nexus 7 2013, but I am curious. I have in the past some Android games from Humble Bundle and there is a new PC + Android bundle, will those work on the Nexus 7? I only ask since it uses Google Play instead of the normal Android store it seems.

They will work perfectly, just install the Humble Bundle app and download your games (once claimed on your humble account).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jarmak posted:

keep in mind my giant brick of a gaming laptop had its video card die making it pretty useless, and my old Asus netbook is so loving slow I can't stand using it anymore (and has done an Afghanistan tour so could die at any time) So I need some sort of mobile computing solution for basic internet/Facebook/entertainment regardless.

I have a desktop for proper paper writing

Killed three laptops in three tours :hfive: but tablets are more robust when it comes to overheating and dust. I now go with my TF201 and if I really need a computer I use my desktop.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm about to pull the trigger and finally get a nexus 7 2013 32gb (wifi only) and have a few questions about it before giving my TF201 to my wife:

-Does it charge with any phone charger/powerbank? My TF201 needs its original cable+charger and it gets annoying that I can't charge it on my car or anywhere without carrying the original stuff.

-Looking to buy it on Amazon(.es) instead of google (229€ vs 269€) and I hope Amazon's customer support is good :ohdear:. Should i get a flip-cover case and go without screen protector or get a decent tpu gel + screen protector?

Sorry in advance because of the spanish store links but I can't get a poetic case:
Igadgitz S-line TPU-Gel+screen protector
or
Igadgitz Tyre case+creen protector
or
IVSO flip cover (samsung style)
or
Igadgitz flip cover with screen protector

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

The included charger outputs something like 1.25A, not much more than a current phone charger. The cable included is rather short, so using one that's significantly longer may impact charging. On the other hand, I use the little oval Nokia Qi charger to charge mine, and that only outputs 750mA via lossy wireless. I'd hazard a guess that a phone charger would do the job, if a little more slowly than the official one.

I use a cheap TPU case on mine, and like it. I don't take mine outside the house very often though.

I travel on train every week and my TF201 while having enough battery is unwieldy and it lags like crazy compared to my Galaxy S4. I mostly use my tablet while on the train and for couch surfing, posting in SA with awful app is starting to become a pain because my TF201 lags quite a bit lately.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The TF201 has a funny proprietary ASUS connector I think. The Nexus 7 charges with a good old regular Micro-usb connector.

Yeah I know, what is retarded is that I can't connect my Asus USB cable to more powerful charger or powerbank so I can't charge it on the move.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Welp, Nexus 7 on its way with a TPU gel case. I guess I can join the case-chat soon :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Daimo posted:

You can't flash what hasn't been released :(

Try https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/ and choose your device.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Not really, no. The Nexus 7 is by far the best Android tablet. And the best value too.

I literally got my Nexus 7 2013 today, and after a few hours installing poo poo and messing with it this is true. It took too long to me to get it even if I still own an Asus TF201. This poo poo is awesome for gaming and bed surfing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To be honest, i've seen samsung tablets and they're nice. I'm not a fan of touchwiz but they cover sizes and prices that nexus devices don't, and they're fine for a normal user.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know then, my TF201 works perfectly well and is fantastic for video or reading with its weakest point being the ram (1Gb) and asus skin wich is fixed with a rom. The N7 still feels better overall but they've got released with almost 2 years between.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

My 201 is a piece of poo poo, although that probably has more to do with ASUS and poo poo WIFI performance than Tegra. Oh and the poo poo NAND they used, which I'm assuming is ASUS's fault

That's a thing I agree with, the poo poo WIFI performance. Both my samsung phones and my N7 have better conectivity when it comes to WIFI and way faster download rates.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I bought the new 10.5" tab s.
Overall I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it is the best tablet ever, mainly due to the fact that it is much more likely to get stranded on updates than any sort of nexus device. Still, for my purposes, I think it is the best choice out there.

If you don't mind cyanogenmod, samsung tablets get great support when it comes to updates and that shizzle. I hate touchwiz but high tier samsung devices with super amoled screens look drat nice, and if you get around rooting and flashing CM, you wont get behind when it comes to updates.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rooting a samsung device will end in installing a custom rom sooner or later, once you taste the blood... :unsmigghh:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I consider myself an ok son but if my mom treated something I gave her like that I'd also refuse to buy another? Like how is that strange.

Agreed. Hundreds of dollars (or euros) wasted because she treated that stuff like poo poo, not clueless handling (like loving up the OS or installing some poo poo app). My dad installed a launcher on the phone I gifted him and helped him to get rid of the app and explained what shouldn't touch on the settings just in case.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

This is true but only if you have a recent copy of the satellite data (almanac). This can be downloaded via the GPs signal itself but takes a long time (like twenty minutes or so) because of the ludicrously slow bitrate on GPS. Opening GMaps while connected to a data signal (cell/Wi-Fi) will grab this data from the internet instead (part of A-GPS), and should then be valid for at least a few days. So if you cache the map shortly before you leave you kill both birds at once and you should be good to go.

Well that's really useful, thanks for the tip!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

In Chrome there is "request desktop site".

This works aswell if you use Opera where you can select between mobile and desktop versions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It looks amazing, my biggest 'but' is how good is dell at supporting android devices as I don't know someone with one. Also the lovely name, god drat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, is that speaker design like the One M7 and M8 what makes it look so good. I wouldn't mind a 7" One M8 GPE :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I got an Asus MeMopad 8 today, is this the thread to ask idiots questions in about it?

Pretty much the right thread unless someone says that we only talk about Nexus 7 here (kidding).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My N7 2013, Galaxy S4 and Nokia Lumia 925 all charge with anything fine (even with my 10400mAh battery pack), but my Asus TF201 only charges via USB connected to a PC or with its own charger.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I own a TF201 wich is dying slowly and got a Nexus 7 2013 right before summer so I'd recommend you to wait for the new Nexus 9 or whatever they release. If you really really want android AOSP or similar and don't get a nexus tablet, get a Samsung one and slap a custom rom over it, I know its not the optimal setup but Samsung Tab S tablets are really nice and the screen is gorgeous. You can always just run nova launcher and try to remove as much bloatware as you can if you don't want to root/unlock it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doghouse posted:

Is the asus transformer TF103C any good? Is there anything better at that size and price?

I wouldn't get an Asus tablet outside of Nexus devices because their lack of software support and lovely chargers (they do NOT use a standard micro-usb and need their own cable/charger). I still own a TF201 wich I keep just as video player when I'm traveling. I'm sure you can find a 10" samsung, sony or whatever tablet will be a better option in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Just buy an OTG cable and an external hard drive.

Whenever I carry my Nexus 7, I just use an OTG cable and a 64gb usb stick. Hell, I even tried to use an USB HUB to plug in a xbox360 controller and an usb stick and both worked fine.
This poo poo costs 1$ right now on Amazon.com

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure it's left out so that you have to use a proprietary charger. Don't most tablets not use microUSB to charge?

Also, OEMs didn't "decide" to standardize on microUSB, they were compelled to by European regulations. If the EU hadn't done this, you'd still be enjoying $50 proprietary chargers and $30 proprietary sync cables like it was 1997.

I think most tablets use microUSB by design. Samsung tablets (at least the S series and bellow), Sony Xperia and other popular ones use microUSB. I love that because I hate the days where even Nokia had two or three different charging ports and was an absolute hell to find someone with a charger that worked for your phone (not to say other brands like Eriksson, Mitsubishi, SHARP, etc...). Now is just about microUSB and dudes with bitten apple devices.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as companies would try to earn with propietary chargers, wouldn't be more expensive to research/design them instead of just using a standard? In my opinion is a win-win scenario for both the consumers and them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lostleaf posted:

You're giving too much credit to the companies. Look at apple and their new mac mini. No change in form factor. But they decided to make the ram soldered rendering it impossible to upgrade. Also changed the hard drive slot to make it harder to upgrade hard drives too.

Apple customers are like a different species. They'll buy anything with the logo slapped on.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you really not remember like 10 years ago?

I sure remember 10 and even 20 years ago. Thanks for the constructive reply fishmech.