Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Wired Magazine finally released for NOOK, but they inexplicably restricted access to only the NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color. You can't access it with the Android app. It's been available on Amazon for a while, but again, is only available on the Kindle Fire. :smith:

They've had an iPad app for almost 2 years, but still no way to access from an Android device... Makes me a very sad panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

fondue posted:

They fall out? I've got one in mine right now and it's hard to put in and take out as it is.

If I were to drop mine in my bag with the MicroSD slot on the bottom side, it's possible for it to get pushed in, and have it pop out into my bag.

I either put it in headphone-jack side down, or put it in carefully so it doesn't pop out.

EDIT: If anyone cares, Transformer Primes appear to be readily available from Amazon at this point.

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 20, 2012

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
I would say the keyboard dock really changes things. It goes from a media consumption-only device, to one that you could easily type out notes or write a paper. Think about using supernote for class with a keyboard. You can type notes and then draw an equation right there in your notes.

The dock is real slick, but the wifi reception might be more of a deal breaker for you.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Electrical Fire posted:

Is there any word about the Prime getting an updated back panel, or is that going to be exclusive to the TF700?

No plans have been announced to alter the back of the Prime.

They pretty much just said to not use the TF201 to navigate and left it at that.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Frozen-Solid posted:

Don't like that there is always a notification that it's in with the Prime.

Same with the "dock connected" notification. Pointless, and just looks messy.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
The quality difference between different Primes is shocking. I've seen pictures of people light bleeding where it's coming from 5 or 6 different places. Claims of 4 or 5 dead pixels. The serial unknown issue. Then issues like MrMoose where the software just doesn't seem to want to work... At the same time, there's people like me that don't have any dead pixels, have never seen it re-boot, etc.

Hopefully in another year the dockable tablet will just be standard across all manufacturers. It's such a great feature, but ASUS does't seem to be great at quality...

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, it's great having the iOS fanboys poo poo up the thread and let us stupid Android users know how great it is:

- no form of expandable memory
- no standard HDMI-out
- using 4:3 screen to watch movies
- having home screens that are just app drawers with folders
- no flash when web browsing
- no USB support

iOS is great, and all the things I listed are stupid features that nobody wants. All hail Apple. They know what's best for us.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mister Snips posted:

Yo, maybe the people who buy ipads legitimately don't care about any of that?

All things listed are features I use on a daily basis with my Android tablet.

I am not really sure what your point is though. The iPad users saw fit to come to the Android Tablet thread and tell us all the things that are great and wonderful about iPad. So when I list legitimate features that iPad doesn't have, it can just be shrugged off as useless features?

Cool

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Kynetx posted:

Does the B&N client support magazines?

As long as the publisher allows it. Conde Nast, Wired's publisher, specifically blocks access to Wired on the B&N client for Android. Other publishers do allow their magazines on the B&N client.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
.wrong thread

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2012

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
I NEVER would have thought that GPS on a wifi only tablet was such a loving big priority for people that they are literally destroying their $500 devices to possibly get to work.

What the gently caress? If you need GPS on your wifi device, just buy something else. Not an iPad though. Apple also didn't think people would use GPS on their wifi model.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

eric posted:

Here's all the research you need:

BUY AN IPAD3

Remember guys, he's not trolling, just spreading the truth throughout Android land.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

graph posted:

All seven of them. Awesome!

Remember, not trolling, just truth telling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
There's no need to use a different app store. The Android Market is probably your best bet. You also don't need a task manager, just press the two window icon to the right of the home icon. It will bring up your last used apps, and you can press the X button if you want them to go away.

There are a lot of good apps in the Market. I suggest getting the Awful app, it's great for browsing the forums.

Also, I wouldn't worry about running any anti virus, I've never seen someone run into this problem on Android.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
There should be a way to clear apps off the list, but I'm not sure what it is for the TF101. Before my Transformer Prime was updated to 4.0, there was an X next to the app name, on 4.0 you swipe them to the side to clear.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hey look, a link that has Transformer Prime information and failure rates.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/

Spoiler Alert: It's less than 1%

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Your anecdotal and forum based evidence is quite convincing.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

dissss posted:

As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

I have no issues streaming HD Netflix or YouTube. Web pages load quickly and I've never had a connection drop on my Transformer Prime.

I guess you could say it's decent enough for my needs.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Really grasping at straws there buddy. It states that the global RMA rate is less than 1%, which would include all forms of return.

The Transformer Prime is not the gamble that YOSPOS likes to think it is. All of your data is based upon a few forum posts. This guy works for ASUS and is providing the actual RMA data and you want to dispute it based upon literally nothing.

The Transformer Prime has 100% positive reviews. Every single one states it's a recommended buy, and arguably the best tablet on the market. Your response is that there are very vocal people on XDA and one or two here that had issues which make it a crap tablet and informing goons not to buy.

We have had goon after goon come in this thread and state their wonderful experience with the tablet. So much so that one goon couldn't even wait 2 drat weeks for them to fix his screen, so he rushed out and bought a second one.

People come to this thread for tablet information and the YOSPOSers disparage what I think is by far the best tablet on the market.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

NINbuntu 64 posted:

As somebody who has worked with this stuff, I can tell you that RMA rates are never representative of the actual scope of the problem. The only places that will actually consistently RMA products are retailers, since it affects their bottom line. A very, very large portion of people will just stick with it and assume it doesn't work well, not that it's broken and should be returned.

You're taking an article from CNET (who write nothing but fluff pieces) that directly represents a statistic from Asus (the RMA rate which is hardly representative of any real world statistics) at face value and that's pretty silly.

You are countering it with forum posts and that's pretty silly.

Is literally every single review site only writing fluff? Even the ones that didn't get one for free and waited 3 months and bought their own to review, and still came to the same conclusion (it's a great tablet)? Your only response is forum posts, and even those show overwhelming majority of happy customers.

Where are you getting the information that the failure rate on the Transformer Prime is high enough that you should recommend that people not buy it?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
alt+tab does work, but the only alt key is on the right side of the space bar, so it's kind of awkward

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
no idea what other use the alt key has

holding the home key does nothing

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Maybe CM9 for the Prime will re-map the alt key to the task switcher

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Pweller posted:

Proprietary cable pisses me off though. Don't understand why all these tablets don't have mini or micro USB for charging/data.

I don't think you can pull 15A though standard micro USB

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
They use proprietary cables to allow them to charge the tablet faster.

So they could do micro USB charging, but it would take forever fully charge the tablet.

Sorry for not stating my volts/amps/ohms/watts/joules/coulombs right.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
The Prime charge puts out 15 VDC / 1.2 Amps
USB port is 0.5 VDC / 0.5 Amps.
iPad charge does 5 VDC / 2.0 Amps

*my source is some dude on a forum

so can a microUSB output 15 VDC at 1.2 Amps?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

GreatKesh posted:

My transformer should be fixed and returned in the next few days, how do I go about getting ICS?

Settings -> About Tablet -> System Update -> Check for Update

^^^ Samsung seems more concerned with releasing 10 more tablets than updating anything that they've already sold

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

According to Droid Life: Samsung is Unveiling Angry Birds Space Tomorrow, Not an 11.6-inch Retina Display Tablet

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Do you really think the screen just randomly cracked?? That sounds quite suspect and most likely user error.

Whoops, I dropped my gadget with a glass screen and it cracked. NEW ONE FOR FREE PLEASE!

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
I just don't get this vitriol toward devices based upon XDAs experience. You act like ASUS is some type of shithole company that only makes crap. I can't tell you the actual numbers, but I don't think the Prime is as lovely of a tablet as a hand full if XDAers think. I have had no issues with mine and still think it's a great device, maybe a little overpriced compared to the competition starting tomorrow.

The GPS doesn't work... If that's something you need in a wifi tablet, then don't buy it, but to call for a boycott because people sat on their tablet and the screen broke sounds a bit extreme.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
ASUS announced a 16GB version of the Prime for either $300 or $400, price hasn't come out yet, but it goes on sale April 22.

Should be interesting to see what kind of supply they have at launch.

The Prime is still not readily available on Amazon, yet they said they sold only 80,000 of them, so I wonder what kind of capacity they are capable of.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/21/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review/

TF300 Review

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
Changing ebook cover images is the #1 feature I look for in an e-reader.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
You can put all your iTunes into Google's cloud then pull them down to your Galaxy Tab.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
It's an Asus customized widget.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

FormatAmerica posted:

Try Tweetlanes. It targets ICS/JB specifically and is quite nice.

Everyone should give this a shot. It does an awesome job remembering your position in the timeline. It feels like it should be the default Twitter client on Android 4.0+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

SlayVus posted:

I would like to reiterate that last point considering my fiasco with my ASUS tablet. Holy gently caress did they mess that poo poo up. There is NOT a lot of build quality in these tablets. I really wish someone would make something better. I would buy it in the heartbeat.

I'm not sure I understand. Do other companies make tablets with glass that doesn't crack when hard metal objects are dropped on it? I know the Nexus 7 screen and Transformer Prime's GPS have their issues, but how is you dropping hard metal on a glass screen an indicator of build quality?

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 27, 2012