Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
For anyone that missed it:

OTA update for Prime GPS:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/18/asus-transformer-prime-update-imminent-supposedly-fixes-gps-woes/

Also, OG Transformers are available in a 32 GB version as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

raruler posted:

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of choices

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of iTrolls

Has anyone with a 1st Gen Transformer had the tilt sensor and compass stop working? I unrooted mine so I could exchange it and it started working after the preparatory wipe and reinstall.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The prime uses a stupid 15v charger instead of a 5v like most USB devices.

Same with the OG Transformer. It'll do 5v for everything else, so the $29.99 is well worth it for the spare.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Jesus christ, we need another thread for you idiots to have your iPad vs. Android dick measuring contest. Can we please, please, please have a thread about Android tablets without the YOSPOS trolling?

Mods? Anyone there?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

As much as some of the arguments presented doesn't make sense, to omit all comparison to non-Android platforms basically turns this entire thread into "Wheeeee, my Prime is shipping!" and "Got my Prime, fellas!" posts. This is boring, though sadly somewhat necessary since there's presently one tablet model that is running newer hardware than the other models, so it's almost all we ever talk about.

Is this forum simply not capable of maturely acknowledging the existence of competing platforms?

I would like you to describe to me a plane of reality where it's possible to live a normal life without acknowledging the existence of iOS.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

eric posted:

It's 15 million SOLD vs. 3 million SHIPPED.

This is the stupidest distinction you could make, but it's a popular one with the iOS fanboys.

See if you can follow me here:
In order to SELL a device, it must be BOUGHT from the manufacturer and then SHIPPED to the retailer, where it is the SOLD to the customer. There isn't a landfill full of things not made by Apple.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Internaut! posted:

Playbook sales are booming, great success!

Ah, the false equivalency fallacy merged with a strawman. Excellent.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Safari and IE are abandoning plugins in future releases. That will be the true death of Flash. Microsoft is even killing Silverlight to hasten that along.

Here's a serious iOS v Android tablet question: digital magazines, what kind of support is out there in the Android universe? Apple is trying to clean up the App Store by collecting the various magazine clients in Newsstand, and Amazon is a big seller through the Kindle platform but for some reason won't support it's Android client, just Fire and iPad.

Back when I set up my Mom's iPad, you couldn't get away from the apps by Newsweek, Oprah Magazine, etc. At least from my searching, Android seems kind of deficient in this area, the way the phones lacked a lot of official news apps from CNN and the like 18 months ago. But I'm probably not seeing the tablet-only apps, so I don't know if this is just my sample.

One would think magazines would be at home here, since Google isn't forcing people to use the in app purchases system to give them a cut of the entire publishing indistry's revenue.

I don't know if this would fit your needs, but check out Google Currents. There is a lot of free magazine content on it.
Does the B&N client support magazines?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Peppersmith posted:

I had one for a couple months and it was fantastic for a 7" tablet. Very little lag, awesome screen, good build quality. I ended up trading it for a 10" tablet, but I'd have no problems recommending it to friends.

My experience wasn't as good. I found the pen interface to be lacking, but that may have been corrected in the ICS update. Give it a try first.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 31, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Peppersmith posted:

You mean the Honeycomb update? The pen can now be used as a stylus without activating the "scribbling" mode, but it's no more useful than a finger for navigation. HC brought support for 3rd-party apps to use the Magic Pen pressure sensitivity- I found Quill to be an excellent replacement for the stock Notes app for drawing.

Nope, ICS. It is supposed to have native pen support, and I recall reading that it has either arrived, or will arrive soon I think.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

the yeti posted:

Am I missing something obvious about using a USB extension cable with my Transformer? It doesn't seem to charge with one in line between the wall wart and the cable that comes with it.

Yeah, I realize I'm the crazy one for needing more than a 3 whole inches or whatever of cable length :rolleyes:

The cable is short because of the power draw. 2 amps at 12 volts is exceptionally high for a tablet charger. Over twice the power draw of an iPad charger.

I've read elsewhere about USB extensions being problematic. Get an AC extension cord to gain the 4+ inches you require.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

dissss posted:

Does any tablet (or phone for that matter) have a decent wifi radio?

The vast majority are decent, but they are limited by the size of the device and the limitations that imposes on the length of the antenna, its placement within the device and lower power consumption goals. These considerations aren't really present in laptops.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

El Duke posted:

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

As much as I appreciate you being the devil's advocate here, you can't honestly say that Asus has a reputation for poo poo products. Their motherboards, laptops, etc are very well regarded. The TF-101 is very well regarded.
They jumped the gun and got what they deserved when they released a product too soon in an attempt to get a lead on other manufacturers. Everybody fucks up from time to time. Most often they learn.
Hell, even Apple can stumble. If their subsequent products are trash then your statement is valid. You're just going to have to wait for your schadenfreude.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Are you for real?

I am also perplexed by this dismissal of the MAIN REASON I got my Transformer. It's a replacement of the $1000.00 flagship Pioneer Avic GPS head unit in my truck that was installed by the previous owner. My hatred of that device knows no bounds. I made a mount for it so that the poo poo-tastic GPS unit is covered by the tablet. You don't put it ON TOP of the dashboard. That would be idiotic.

EDIT: Ok, the main reason is probably as an Evernote input device, but the GPS is extremely useful.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Something's been bugging me; why the rush to retina displays? I have a 15" Toughbook with a 1900x1200 display and the pixel density is too high. I find myself leaning in and squinting all the time. A 10" or 7" tablet would be miserable.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

SA-Mart.

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I might get mine up and running again on ICS. My only complaint was a lack of a GPS receiver, but that was a deal-breaker.
I actually prefer the 4:3 layout for business - type stuff, since that's closer to the aspect ratio of a US letter-sized sheet of paper.

My Transformer is mainly used for web surfing, Evernote, reading technical manuals and GPS navigation. 16:9 is pretty awesome when watching Netflix on the road.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Uthor posted:

It might be, but it's relatively new. The first time I lost all the files was the very first time I used it. I couldn't get it connected, then once I did, the files were gone.

Is it from a reputable brand? Did you buy it fom a reputable seller?
Have you been properly dismounting/ejecting it?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Why? Just sell it and get yourself an iPad. Anyone with half a brain and a modicum of maturity can acknowledge that there are advantages to both platforms. I think Apple hardware is excellent, but I prefer the open nature of Android. For me, a little more fiddling is acceptible. 20 minutes getting root access isn't a big deal.
If you hate your tablet and don't have the inclination to troubleshoot it or research the issue you're having, sell the drat thing. Life's too short to waste on electronics that you don't like.
You're already invested in the Apple ecosystem. It works for you, so stick with it. My wife has a lot of Apple hardware and a dad that is a huge Mac nerd, so I got her an iPad2 for Christmas. She got me a Transformer. We both love our presents. Her phone contract is up and I'll probably get her a 4S with some of my bonus money.
Any Android fan that can't acknowedge that iOS is a good platform is a moron. The same thing applies to Apple afficionados that form clubs to antagonize everyone else. Get what you like and don't entangle your identity with an operating system. That just makes you a tool.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Using my go-to PDF app (ezPDF) I was able to get it to pause 1-3 seconds every other page if I flipped continuously. With the second file, page flipping was instantaneous.

Even with a huge scanned PDF I wasn't offended by its performance. I guess the manuals and tech documentation (even with vector images) aren't a challenge since page flipping is at least as fast as my work laptop.
Now that I think about it, viewing PDFs on my personal laptop (core i5, 8 gigs ram, SSD, 7 Home) isn't instantaneous either.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

Right, so back to the canard of it fits my needs and false dichotomies with choices. It's possible I've been spoiled by Apple's built in PDF reader, but keep in mind I have no complaints about foxit reader on my PC.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm the trying to get you to get rid of Android and go back to Apple.
You brought something up, the rest of us find it interesting and we're discussing it. Nobody is really talking to you because all you are willing to do is bitch about how your tablet isn't an iPad. People are offering help and you ignore it so you can keep complaining. Take your own advice. Please.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

davestones posted:

Wading through the internet posts about rooting and whether pdfs render faster than a kindle etc is rather tedious at times!

Fair enough.

quote:

We both use Nexus android phones so are well-versed on the ecosystem but half of our apps don't seem to exist for this thing on the marketplace

Now that's odd. You should be able to get most if not all of the same apps. Which ones are missing? I can see if I get the same behavior.

quote:

Aside from browsing the internet and using BBC iplayer is there any other suggestion as to what it could be used to do, or any apps etc that are a must-have?

I use Evernote quite a lot on mine, to the point that I have essentially gone paperless at work. Instead of printing project specs, I use word to convert them to PDF and then upload them to Evernote.
Instead of crappy hand-drawn diagrams, I take a photo and then mark it up with Skitch.

Games... Cut the Rope looks awesome scaled up to tablet size.

I prefer Thumb Keyboard for typing on a tablet even though I swear by Swiftkey-X on my phone.

Node Beat is a goofy synth that's fun to play with.

Star Chart is cool as hell even if you're not into astronomy.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

More RAM. Considering how much storage is cloud-based and SD cards are cheap, you could scale back the internal bulk storage to fund more RAM.
One of the intangibles that has worked so well for Apple that seems to be ignored by Android manufacturers is scrolling smoothness. I think there are specific optimizations for this purpose built into the Cortex chips made for Apple, but perhaps some kernel tweaking could be effective?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

So we get a day or two to discuss the technology instead of fending off the YOSPOS knuckle-draggers and you declare the subject off limits? C'mon man... I'd rather read re-hashed content than shitposts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I dusted off the touchpad and applied an ICS ROM. Wow. Damned impressive for an alpha release. This shows a lot of promise. I look forward to the official CM9 release and ICS on the TF101.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

As soon as that happens I'm selling off my jot (capacitive stylus)..it's good, but nothing capacitive can come close to an active stylus like in a wacom system.

This brings up an interesting point. Why can't the press and casual gadget fans understand the difference between a capacitive stylus, a resistive screen with a stylus and a proper Wacom digitizer?
On one hand, I think they do, but acknowledging the difference means they have to be able to articulate something other than LOL SAMSUNG NOTE=PALM PILOT.
I keep seeing blog posts that can't differentiate between the different technologies.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

It must really vary from device to device. The standard Adobe reader runs like poo poo, but ezPDF is very usable. Kinda sucks that I had to pay before being able to read PDF files, but being able to annotate them justifies the expense many-fold.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

If the Xoom is used for Android dogfooding, then it's close enough not to bother drawing a distinction.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Basically I'm asking what tablet I should get for 3-400 bucks. The bigger then better.

10" is as big as they get. A used TF101, maybe a Xoom. You won't get anything worth having for new at that price.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have the original first ever Galaxy Tab (don't laugh :smith:) and it can barely do anything, even trying to play video leads it to crash half the time and now there's a weird glitch where it doesn't manage battery correctly and drains as if I'm constantly doing stuff even when I'm not using it.

I saw this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=fe36d31f35e3f4a6d4c207782a32acd3&t=1385153&page=101

But it looks like it increases general usability at the cost of not supporting a bunch of features.

Anyway I got this as a gift so I suppose there's always the option of selling it to people who don't know the difference :v:

Your call, there's always a tradeoff. If you don't want to go that route, do a factory reset and make sure your firmware is up to date.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Flyer, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, Samsung Note

If you want something different, you could import an Asus EA800. drat, I wanted one but they never brought it to the states.

Otherwise, look into a Windows 7 tablet. There are quite a few. Just be sure that they have a proper pen digitizer.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

SlayVus posted:

So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.

No. They are completely different technologies. Capacitive digitizers aren't any good for precision.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Its the screen which has the pressure sensitivity, you just need a compatible pen. Any Wacom stylus for dual-digitizer PC's would work with the Note.

Wacom pens for Wacom digitizers, N-Trig syluses for N-Trig digitizers, etc. You can't mix and match because they use different technologies. Not sure why, but the N-Trig stylus needs batteries and the Wacoms don't even though there is at least some minimal logic inside it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Toady posted:

Content creation is a specialized need. Graphic artists need drawing tablets; construction workers need dump trucks. But the stylus is drastically more niche compared to the mouse and trackpad. iPads now outsell desktop PCs--the era of the stylus is clearly over.

(Also, "styli" but not "mice"? :) )

iPads outsold PC's in the fourth quarter of 2012, therefore I shouldn't count on being able to get a tablet with a stylus-based digitizer? I don't follow.
If a stylus is super-niche, then why are there at least a half-dozen different models mixed in with the other iPad accessories at any given store?
People have preferences that differ from yours. Stop getting cranky about it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

The stock browser on ICS is pretty drat good though.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

sethsez posted:

Why? A one word answer is useless.

You have to keep an eye on the YOSPOS iOS echo chamber so you know who the trolls are.

It's a really nice device with an awesome screen. 4.5 stars on Amazon. If you like that form factor, go for it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm not going to disparage iOS like some people in this thread, but even if it is the best tablet on the market I could never go back to iOS and Apple. I had an iPhone for a while, and it was great, but I just prefer Android. I'm very tied to Google Apps and the Android ecosystem, and no matter how great the iPad 3 is it won't have the same synergy with my email, music, and apps that I already have with Android.

I don't think there is much disparagement of iOS in the thread. They're good devices and anyone who isn't an idiot would agree.
The main problem with the thread is iOS sycophants who get hard at the thought of distracting android users. If you go into the YOSPOS thread it's full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I think the big driver in terms of what hardware people buy is the ecosystem. If you're tied in to iTunes, iCloud and you have Macbooks or Mac Pros, stick with Apple. If you've had a gmail account for years and you like Google Maps and Google Music, etc. and like more choices in hardware and UI, then Android is the way to go.
Do the research and go with whichever platform suits your needs.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

zachol posted:

I think it's more that people are saying to wait for the iPad 3 to see what the Android tablet response is, even if you have no intention of ever getting an iPad.

I hope so. With competition, everyone wins.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

JB may be released at some point in the summer, but you won't see it on non-Nexus hardwre until Fall or Winter.

What is it about ICS that compels you to recommend people avoid an entire hardware cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

Well I wouldn't say it's ics that compels me to tell people not to buy android tablets.

I mean, not buy android tablets yet!

I got myself a firesale Touchpad to play around with. It's running CM9 right now and it's startlingly good. Not just good for an Alpha release, but good by any reasonable metric. Using the stock browser, the scrolling animation is probably 90% as good as my wife's iPad2. Stability is at least as good as my SGS2, which is to say that an application might crash once every couple of days, and I've never needed a battery pull or forced reset. You ought to try it if the opportunity presents itself.