Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I didn't see it mentioned in the other thread, but Google has started pushing ICS to all US Wifi Xooms, it's no longer in the test phase. The LTE one is expected after Verizon finishes testing.

Google has also posted the ICS binaries for the Xoom (both versions) on their code page.

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html

I just installed it and I'm in love. There's no longer a huge delay in entering text in the default browser and the new font is much easier to read. Scrolling seems a little smoother too. It's not perfect, but it's steadily getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ferg posted:

Glad they fixed the typing speed issue. I've noticed it's totally fine on my Galaxy Nexus but I didn't want to get my hopes up and see it still sucking on my tablet. I can't believe that one made it out of Google's QA department.

I honestly thought it was just an issue with Xooms in particular, but the fact that it was OS-wide AND that they never bothered to fix it is what drove me to use your fine work on the Awful App. Despite the browser humming along now, I will continue to use Awful because it somehow feels more "right" for the tablet -- and phone!

Thanks for your continued drive to improve and update it. My Xoom and I are in your debt.

wandler20 posted:

I sent my Xoom off to Verizon to get the 4g upgrade today (put that off far too long). Any chance they will put ICS on it for me? Also, what's the average turnaround on the upgrade?

I'm pretty sure the only update for Xooms right now is straight from Google (read: Wi-Fi only), though it must clearly be in Verizon's hands now if the vanilla version has been pushed out. Did Verizon add any bloat, or did they just get the option to sell a system with a 3G/4G radio inside?

El Duke posted:

Also, you're not having issues with flash implementation in ICS?

I believe if you uninstall the old version of Flash and grab the new one, it fixes any issues. For me, sites now run BETTER in ICS than they did in Honeycomb, but that's probably placebo. I can't get over how much better this font is...

Text correction and cut/paste are much better too.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Apple's marketing is clear, the assorted Android adverts are less so, and information is even more opaque due to the manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves. Televisions have the same problem. Take the 240hz refresh rate feature that's standard on most premium LCD panels. It's called AutoMotion Plus on my Samsung, and my Sony has two features called Motionflow and Cinemotion, and I don't even remember what the difference between those two are. Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

Man, that's crazy that the people on the phone didn't know. Maaaany years ago (when there was still one here in SF), I worked at Sony Style and still remember what both are for:

MotionFlow = The stupid name given to Sony's 120/240Hz modes.
Cinemotion = The stupid name given to Sony's reverse 3:2 pulldown interpolation. This was actually in TVs before MotionFlow stuff, as some of the bigger projection TVs and the tube HDTVs would use it.

Sony is really, really bad about branding the most mundane feature with a stupid name. Maybe it was all those years of having to memorize all those dumb InterCapped names that made it stick.