Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Uthor posted:

Yeah, the OG Transformer won't charge with anything but the included charger, either. Your computer does not output enough power over USB to charge it (though I was told that the Transformer will trickle charge very slowly through your PC if you leave the screen off and have it at idle). I'm not sure if other, extra powerful wall chargers will work.

Since the charging nub on my original transformer broke, I've been using the nub from my galaxy nexus. There's no indicator of charging, but it charges slowly. Like, on the order of 10% an hour. If you use the tablet while it's charging, it just drains slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Isn't gps kind of useless since it's wifi only and if you're doing any navigating you need a data connection, and the wifi will automatically position you?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's just weird. Apple, with the iPod, finally "got right" a lot of what was wrong with the fragmented and Engrish market of MP3 players and made it accessible and easy to use. They then continued on with the iPhone and iPad - they didn't coin just a catchphrase, but literally proved that their stuff Just Works.

You tap on something, it registers. You swipe, it registers and doesn't lag. You want music? You just download it. You want apps? There's like 600,000 and growing. You don't want to choose between 9000 different variants of a product and just confuse yourself without doing mad homework? Just pick up the flavor of the year.

You have problems? Go into an actual brick and mortar store and get it replaced by guys who know what they're doing. You don't live close to one? Call Apple Care and get an English speaking guy from the same country you're calling from and get help.

Apple also has a good business practice where the customer is always right, and a very high reputation to uphold so they'll bend over backwards for their consumers

Their products are so popular that random stores stock random accessories - you can't go into one mall without finding a slew of cases or cords.

They are also so popular that the products will continue to be supported for years to come, and because it's so popular you know you're not buying into something that will phase out with it's own competitor in the same year.

People keep recommending Apple because it's like recommending it to a friend - you want to say what's best and what will work the most. You wouldn't tell someone to buy an Android that requires root and the exclusion of a front facing camera or Netflix because of it. This thread is evidence enough that it's just the wild west with Android and no one knows what the gently caress they want/are doing

Shut the gently caress up about the iPad, this is not the right thread or forum for this.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Just so you guys know, the Samsung 10.1 and 8.9 are both really good and have excellent community support as well as having all features work and decent ICS builds out there. I think they're the only manufacturer doing anything decent right now.

It's been nothing but poo poo from Asus with both the Transformer and Transformer Prime (I own the original TF). If I don't get Apple next round, I'm getting Samsung.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I think they were saying they wanted to make the tablet a 7 or 8 inch screen, which most people tend to use in portrait rather than landscape; so the buttons would be on the side for portrait viewing

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Stopped by my staples today just to look. They still have a piece of paper up that says if you want to pre order the nexus 7, please speak to an associate.

That piece of paper is the only thing in that store that references, Nexus 7.

This is still 10 times more than any other android tablet promotion

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

oxsnard posted:

My local staples kicks rear end. The stocking manager wrote my name down after I told him about my broken screen. He called me today the second they got a shipment of 4 devices in the store and held one until I could go in after work. Apparently they should be getting small shipments once or so a week for the next three to four weeks and that's true for all us stores.

Sounds like some seriously stupid shipping logistics there.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Daimo posted:

Anyobody know how to turn off that halo feature. It just sits there adding nothing and ruining my desktop :argh:

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I installed PA on my nexus 7 and after about 45 minutes it got irritated that I couldn't get rid of it, not to mention the esoteric settings menu that didn't have any reset to default behavior buttons.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
god damnit i literally just bought a nexus 7 a week ago.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Pull a Jerkface. You have 15 days from date of delivery to do a return.

https://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/device-terms.html

Bought it from Staples because they had a $20 rebate + $20 gift card deal going on. :negative:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Staples also has a return policy.

Also how much faster is the s4 pro compared to the tegra 3.

I can tell you that the difference between the responsiveness and smoothness between the HTC One and the Nexus 7 is night and day. I don't know if it's more of a function of available RAM, but the N7 starts to choke up if I switch between tasks too fast, especially data hungry ones like Facebook and Pulse. I was considering taking it back and getting a more current gen tab like the N10, but I couldn't really justify paying 500 for an eReader and on-the-couch surfing tablet. Plus I've got some android projects that I'm working on for school and they use N7's in class.

Is the N10 a good purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

nmfree posted:

Sounds like a good thread title.

That would be a good forum title.