Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kirk posted:

I think you mean storage :)

But otherwise that sounds like a really sweet tablet, I'm going to look into grabbing one. Thanks for the heads up!

No, he doesn't. That beast literally supports 64 gigs of RAM. Fits my needs perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

How much are you looking to spend?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I see what you're saying (I really thought you were meaning to respond to somebody else), but buying a tablet that needs fixing was never really an option.

It's either a.)Buy a really good tablet at $400 that works as intended or b.) Buy an iPad 3 at $600 that works as intended.

To be fair, I don't think Apple is dumb enough to raise the price of the base 16 GB iPad. If anything, they'll make the iPad 3 base model $599 for 32 GB, let the added cost of the display eat into their margins on flash memory, and keep the iPad 2 around for $399.

Actually now that I read that I'm not sure it makes sense. Either way, I'm not sure you should let 100 measly bucks stand in the way of a better purchase (iOS or not).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

sethsez posted:

This is pretty much it, yes. People with more money than sense who think that if you can't afford to (or don't want to) buy the absolute best thing available then you should just go back to your cardboard box in the alley. Nevermind that the next step down was, in fact, the latest and greatest only a little while ago and was serving people just fine. And nevermind that a good chunk of the cost of the latest and greatest might be for features that the person buying won't actually use.

It's like the idea of compromise and budgeting just don't matter in the face of new consumer products!

The new iPad is great. The best tablet currently available. The iPad 2 is also great, if not as great, and still does 95% of what the new one does. The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are good, not great, but for the price "good but not great" is a reasonable proposition for a lot of people.

There is, however, a difference in how these prices scale. As far as I can tell, the difference between a 5D Mark II and III (now, not at the time of their release) is about $1300 on Amazon. I can see that making a difference. Telling someone to buy an iPad 2 ($399 new, $349 refurb that most people aren't aware of ) is pretty dumb when the difference is a measly $100. If $100 is a major deciding factor in your decision, what are you doing buying a tablet in the first place?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

poo poo why not say you're stupid if you don't get a maxed out 3G one?

you are

And it's 4G LTE, thank you very much :hehe:

Edit: Plus the whole thing about comparing two devices not really being the same as comparing two of the same with different storage capacities. I'll conveniently exclude 3G/4G models from this because it adds on an extra cost to the device which I agree might not be worth it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

theultimo posted:

think of it this way: it's a Colby kryos with a capacitive screen. Battery life is useless and the display, at 1024x600, is not hd, and has terrible viewing angles in comparison to the nexus 7. It's 129.99 plus shipping I the us. Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.

I don't think you know what infinitesimal means.

Or maybe you do :laugh:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

It's just as bad. I'd say it's worse because every time I want to update an app from my ipad, I have to log in. My android updates apps automatically.

This is really dumb on iOS, but to be fair it's being fixed in iOS 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

In order for this post to make sense I'm trying to imagine a world in which people assumed dragging shortcuts into their recycle bin uninstalled the program. This is the best thing.

What world are you living in? You're acting like there aren't a ton of people who make this mistake every day.

And from a UI perspective I can't really fault them. Are you saying that going into Control Panel, finding the program, uninstalling it (with whatever uninstalled is packaged with it), then fishing back through the file explorer/start menu to get rid of whatever crap was left behind makes *more* sense than dragging an icon into a trash can?