Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, the OG Transformer won't charge with anything but the included charger, either. Your computer does not output enough power over USB to charge it (though I was told that the Transformer will trickle charge very slowly through your PC if you leave the screen off and have it at idle). I'm not sure if other, extra powerful wall chargers will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That looks like a sweet app. May have to try it out. I've been using Komik with no complaints, but it's much less feature filled.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.komik.free

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MrMoose posted:

Because there will be points where I am travelling for work and want to bring it with me. Additionally, I carry my laptop in a SwissGear backpack, and there's nothing there that would keep it from getting scratched. I'm horribly paranoid of scratches :(

Personally, I hardly ever carry the dock with my OG Transformer. I just throw it in my bag with it's screen against a book and back toward the outside in case I bump into anything. I'm not particularly careful with it and haven't gotten a scratch in the eight months that I've owned.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 25, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.
That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun.

Then again, I'd just recommend getting a different phone to someone that hates (or doesn't know how to) doing that stuff. Getting something that works right out of the box instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I spotted this guy taking photos of his daughter's xmas recital. I thought he looked like a huge idiot.

Admit it, you took that picture using your tablet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

But it's $480 for the tablet PLUS 2 years of wireless data. Not saying it's worth it, just that it's more than just the device itself. I mean, if you value the data plan at $10/month, you're getting the device for $240.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Forget about it being an older gen tablet, buy it on contract for 2 years with a 1 year warranty. If it breaks after the first year you will be stuck paying a monthly fee for something you threw away or craigslisted for 30 bucks. Not that you can be sure the warranty will be helpful in the first year mind, as rooting will void that warranty instantly.
How is that any worse than paying full price for the tablet today and having it break after a year? You're still paying the same amount for the same device that you used for the same amount of time.

Edit: or buying a phone on contract, which people don't seem to have problems with? The same potential issues exist.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 5, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ugh, had an issue with the micro SD card in my og Transformer. Actually, its the second time this happened. I plugged into my PC, copied two new music albums to a music folder on the SD card, and unplugged the device. Pull up the file browser and only about 1/3 of my albums are showing up. Reboot, pull up the file browser, and the entire SD card is empty.

I've been having an issue where the SD card will randomly unmount and mount itself. It was especially acting up yesterday.

I haven't been looking too hard, but a cursorily glance on Google doesn't really come up with any other people with the same problem. It's not a huge loss (just mp3s files lost), but annoying as gently caress.

There are still some random (empty) folders on the card, so I wonder if its not the Music app acting up for some reason.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 9, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How do you know the SD card isn't making GBS threads the bed?

It might be, but it's relatively new. The first time I lost all the files was the very first time I used it. I couldn't get it connected, then once I did, the files were gone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kynetx posted:

Is it from a reputable brand? Did you buy it fom a reputable seller?
Have you been properly dismounting/ejecting it?

SanDisc from NewEgg. Maybe I'll try returning it. And, yes (well, not when it unmounts itself randomly).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ferg posted:

Inkscape/GIMP/OpenOffice aren't exactly trivial to port...

It's not there yet, not by a long shot, but here's a recent update of getting LibreOffice onto Android and what exactly what they are working on.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/02/libreoffice-developer-shows-prototype-android-and-html5-ports.ars

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sorry, I'm gonna mention PDFs again. I've been having lag issues like others here when reading PDF comics (og Transformer). I recently installed ComicRack on my PC and tablet. The program converts PDFs and cbr files to a cbp format and they read with no lag whatsoever. It's hardly ideal (have to run through the PC to convert, seemingly proprietary file format), but it's made comics readable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there an aftermarket power charger that works with the OG Transformer? Mine's pretty much poo poo the bed. I thought there was some sort of electronic safety switch in the OEM charger that kept it from putting out too much power and I'm worried that the Transformer won't pull the charge it needs from just any old random one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The problem with the transformer is its a goofy rear end 15v charger. Some people have cut up and modified generic laptop chargers to work, on xda.

Well, poo poo. I'm not gonna do that. Guess I'll look for a new OEM one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Man, charging the Transformer over USB is slooooow. I've had it hooked up to my computer while waiting for the new charger to arrive and, in the last 24 hours, the battery meter went up about 65%. So, about 40 hours to fully charge from 0%.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Most tablets, apparently, charge very slowly over USB because they require a 15V charge rather than the normal USB voltage. Use the wall jack and it will charge MUCH faster.

I would if it wasn't broken. I just thought it'd charge over 24 hours, but I guess I was wrong.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My new Transformer wall charger is different than the one I got with the tablet.

The charger itself no longer has foldable prongs. That makes it less convinient, but hopefully it will be stronger and more stable.
(New one on the left.)

A very nice difference is the cord that came with the charger. Unlike the old one, this one is around 6 feet long. No longer need the extension cable!
(New one on the bottom.)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 23, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

If you have CWM or Rogue installed you can flash one of these http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1514658

Thanks for this link. Worked great upgrading from Prime. I wish I read the thread first as some people mentioned it working without wiping the data first, but I wanted a clean slate start anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A weird thing I've experienced with ICS on my TF is all the elements of the home screen disappearing. Like, I'll see the background and I can swipe between the screens, but I don't see anything else (no icons, widgets, menu bar, anything). If I tap around on the screen, though, programs will launch. Only a reboot will fix it. It's happened two or three times, but I don't see what causes it.

Is there an easy way of getting a custom power button menu? When I was running the Prime ROM, holding down the power button would give me the option to shutdown, reboot, or reboot into recovery. That was so convenient and I'd like to have it back. Searching around on XDA was futile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kirk posted:

My question is thus: Is the keyboard dock actually worth it?

I never use mine. For browsing the web or watching media, I don't need it. Hell, I prefer not to have it 'cause the device is easier to manipulate without the dock getting in the way. The extra SD slot is nice but I've used it about three times to get pictures off, though that may be because I never have the dock on me. I find typing on screen is just fine for short busts and typing on the keyboard I'm more prone to mistakes than using a full sized keyboard (though that may be a lack of practice). The only thing I use it for these days is the extra battery life if I'm going somewhere for longer than just to work for 8 hours. Otherwise, I leave it at home because I don't need to lug around the extra weight.

For example, I had it this weekend. I got to my parents' house, unplugged the dock, used it all day, plugged it in at night to recharge the tablet over night, unplugged it for the next day. The only real use it got was to briefly hold up the tablet when I watched a video while eating.

I'm not using it as a productivity device, though. Depends on your use case.