Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are everybody's debate predictions?

Well Cunliffe doesn't have an AWOL finance spokesperson, so hopefully there won't be a 'show me the money' moment this time :v:

NZAmoeba posted:

Loving the av, even if your last one was also perfect

muldoon was an interesting cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The main result of the debate will be Nat supporters making fun of cunliffe's inability to pronounce homeowner. Even if key sodomizes a human baby on air this will be the only take away.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Leaders' debate drinking game, via Toby Manhire's twitter.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Thank goodness I don't drink because the first 10 minutes would've hosed me up.

Edit:

Herald's doing their own version of the TV3 Worm.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11315021

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
There's a wee bit of talking over each other.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

To his credit, Hosking has been reasonably consistent in how he's moderated this debate.

Edit: to clarify, I mean that he's doing a poor job moderating overall with constant talking over each other from either side, but at least he's not favouring one side over the other.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 28, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just on the performances, Cunliffe came off as smooth and confident, Key didn't disgrace himself but he did seem a little rattled, often trying little snippy comments and seeming a little annoyed. Cunliffe never wavered, was more assertive and got his ideas across better.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Key looked like poo poo - really deep dark circles under his eyes, not a great suit or haircut. Like he's been forced to sleep on the couch. Being a bit waspish didn't help convey the friendly easy going dude we've seen for so long.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Both sides were guilty of trying to talk over each other, but Cunliffe handled it better by basically bulldozing through.

The Herald just gave the debate to Cunliffe.

To break it down:

Fran O'Sullivan - Cunliffe
Toby Manhire - Cunliffe
John Armstrong - Cunliffe
Audrey Young - Key

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11315759

Andrea Vance at Fairfax hasn't outright stated it, but implies that Cunliffe won.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10436058/Debate-turns-slug-fest

Corin Dann gave it to Cunliffe as well.

http://tvnz.co.nz/vote-2014-news/corin-dann-probably-points-victory-cunliffe-6066785

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 28, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
hosking is so pompous haha

if consensus is that cunliffe won this one there'll hopefully be less ':byodood: john campbell liberal bias' if he does well on 3's debate

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

dusty posted:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Goldsmith waits, biding his time to strike...

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I live in the U.S, so TV3's "average New Zealander" series won't load for some reason. Don't suppose there's anywhere else to see it?

Mind you, I'm inclined to think not being able to hear the opinions of the spawn of Henry might be a blessing in disguise...

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I live in the U.S, so TV3's "average New Zealander" series won't load for some reason. Don't suppose there's anywhere else to see it?

Mind you, I'm inclined to think not being able to hear the opinions of the spawn of Henry might be a blessing in disguise...

Oh god, her voice.... :psyduck:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh god I thought it was just being abroad for so long and not being used to the accent. That is terrible in so many ways.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Wow her accent really is a horror. She's got that thing where she won't even pronounce the letter L.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

SuperiorColliculus posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm in NZ and can't watch it. 3 different networks and browsers, none of which can play it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

truther posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm in NZ and can't watch it. 3 different networks and browsers, none of which can play it.

Videos on 3 don't play with AdBlock i don't think :/
interviewer doesn't know wtf

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Closer we get to the election the more I get this dreadful sinking feeling that were going to have a Nat/ACT/UF government with confidence and supply from NZF. Anyone else?

Even with Peters obviously doing his best to destabilise National, I'm pretty sure he'd work with them if offered the right deal. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/10437549/Peters-Key-squabble-over-Collins-coup-attempt

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 29, 2014

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Jacobin posted:

Goldsmith waits, biding his time to strike...

Ah good lad, first post instantly identifies a malevolent scheming Goldsmith. He's planning next hagiography for glorious best act leader :qq: <- tears of joy

You voting Mana, Greens or hard out Trotskyist-Maoist this time around?

fong posted:

Closer we get to the election the more I get this dreadful sinking feeling that were going to have a Nat/ACT/UF government with confidence and supply from NZF. Anyone else?
You forgot Maori Party[fo sho] and Colin Craig[mebbe], but yes I agree. Minority gov with C&S - it'll cost us some chunky baubles for Winnie's old tusker constituency like free foot rubs for pensioners or some such. Winston to take minister outside of, though no idea what he'll want apart from Racing. Would Key give him Foreign Affairs again?

dusty fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 29, 2014

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Interesting extra deserving of own post -

One columnist for a rural rag I follow on Twitter swears up and down that she's got inside news that Key wants out - approach to Winston was on behalf of Key wanting to prepare way for his retirement.
Key is desperate to go, apparently.

Hmmm.
Key's certainly having a real poo poo time and looks loving awful. If the teapot tapes made him consider quitting as he claimed to John Roughan, then Dirty Politics should make him want to crawl into his running Bentley while still parked in the five car garage.

What's actually left for Key? He doesn't really wanna do anything else, he's got no plans, no goals. No World Cup to host, no Americas Cup challenge to enjoy. He's hosted the royals, golfed with Obama and had his 3-way handshake. Apart from the naked love of power, what's left for this multi-squillioaire?

It wouldn't really surprise me, but one swallow does not a summer make.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
knighthood

Snafe
Oct 5, 2010

Is it secret, is it Snafe?
I made it through 20 seconds of Henry's daughter speak,I commend you brave goons who made it through the whole thing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even if they win it wouldn't really surprise me to see him quit not long into the term. I'd be really surprised if he's still at the helm for 2017, anyway.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Called it :smuggo:

Snafe
Oct 5, 2010

Is it secret, is it Snafe?

fong posted:

Even if they win it wouldn't really surprise me to see him quit not long into the term. I'd be really surprised if he's still at the helm for 2017, anyway.

I although I kinda wish that Collins hadn't shat in the water cooler so spectacularly, since watching the post Key power vacuum and Joyce Collins fisticuffs would have been so utterly enjoyable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snafe posted:

I although I kinda wish that Collins hadn't shat in the water cooler so spectacularly, since watching the post Key power vacuum and Joyce Collins fisticuffs would have been so utterly enjoyable.

Watching them drink from the poo poo-filled water cooler and insisting that it's OK is perversely entertaining in its own right.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Exclamation Marx posted:

Videos on 3 don't play with AdBlock i don't think :/
interviewer doesn't know wtf
Cheers mate.

What the gently caress. I don't think I could have invented worse answers if I tried.
You've all said enough and I'm late to the party but wow, that was still quite the surprise...

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Just tweeted this at Patrick Gower and he favourited it. Maybe he thinks the same thing.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

newtestleper posted:

Just tweeted this at Patrick Gower and he favourited it. Maybe he thinks the same thing.

Ahahaha - plant the seed. Plant the seed

@rfstew the source btw - she's stirring hard on twitter on right now. She's a long time columnist in New Plymouth's Daily News, but lives nearer Wellington I think

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm quite surprised this hasn't really been suggested more by the media, Key has looked like he's sick of poo poo for almost a year now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of Gower, here's his interview with Winston where he makes the allegations about Collins.

http://www.3news.co.nz/politics/full-interview-winston-peters-on-judith-collins-and-dirty-politics-2014082818

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
is Labour the party with the least internal faction rumours right now?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy loving poo poo. So I figured out the adblock thing that was stopping me watching the 'average kiwi' video. I so wanted to post it on my Facebook and say "Don't be a Bella, get involved in politics!". But then the rant about whales and their oil happened and I just didn't have the heart to go through with it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Stuff poll has Labour up 3.6% and National down 4.3% since the release of Hager's book.

National: 50.8
Labour: 26.1
Greens: 11.8
NZF: 4
Con: 2.7
IMP: 2.2
Maori: 0.7
ACT: 0.7
UF: 0.2

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Herald is reporting that Judith Collins is going to resign/be sacked.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11316644

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Hooten posted:

@MatthewHootonNZ: Random question:which minister in @johnkeypm's govt may have leaked info re Serious Fraud Office investigations to those being investigated?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm so sick of NZ media's false equivalences of the 'dirty politics' played by the Right and the Left. Serious allegations of top-down corruption, intimidation of public servants, and extremely negative campaigning from a National party that is in government clearly represents dirty politics coming from the political Right; a loving awful hip-hop song about John Key does not represent the political Left at all, even the I-M "gently caress John Key" thing is barely culpable, given it was a bunch of drunk teenagers. I've never seen the poo poo that comes out of the Young Nats ball each year being used as an example of dirty politics from the Right, and nor should it be.

I don't understand why they go after this idiotic crap, and don't just focus on something tangible coming from the political Left, like that idiot Gibson calling Key a "Shylock".

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I don't understand why they go after this idiotic crap, and don't just focus on something tangible coming from the political Left, like that idiot Gibson calling Key a "Shylock".

Because they're in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
There goes the resignation

• Locked thread