Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.

Kerbtree posted:

If you're having trouble reading HPL, how about listening?

Man I thought this was possibly the best thing ever when I thought it was professional sounding readings of all the stories so I downloaded like 30 episodes and then realized that only like 8 stories were straight readings. The rest are just snippets of story then 2 guys bantering about the story. My excitement plummeted through the floor. I guess it's not so bad a thing in and of itself but it could have been a treasure if they just had full readings with no banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah, The Night Land is a tough read because of idiotic manner of writing Hodgson adopts to make the protagonist seem like a 17th century guy. But, it's totally worth fighting through because the story is just absolutely wild.

Thats kind of like saying that having your hand crushed by industrial machinery is worth it for all the morphine you get to have at the hospital. Yes, I found the writing to be THAT bad. Dont get me wrong I agree the story is great, but I will be waiting for the re-write to be completed before continuing to read, I can't bear to read the original.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm reading through the Night Land rewrite and I keep thinking how this would make a loving epic movie or miniseries.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr.48 posted:

Man I read the whole of the re-write that is currently available in one reading and it was really great. I really wanted to know what happed after the most recent re-written chapter and switched over to the original. I cannot express in words just how terrible the original is compared to the re-write. I gave up after about 5 more minutes because reading the original was like hammering nails into my own head.

I didn't know a re-write existed, and when I went to see if it was available on Amazon, I was greeted with one of the worst covers I have ever seen: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327380136&sr=8-1

That is actually sort of making me hesitant on getting it even though everything I have heard makes me think that I will like the book.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kerbtree posted:

If you're having trouble reading HPL, how about listening?

I've occasionally considered doing something like this-- I've run into audio adaptations before, and the vast majority of them seem to come off dry and uninteresting. There are good ones out there, though. Just not always the ones that I think work best read aloud.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't know a re-write existed, and when I went to see if it was available on Amazon, I was greeted with one of the worst covers I have ever seen: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327380136&sr=8-1

That is actually sort of making me hesitant on getting it even though everything I have heard makes me think that I will like the book.

Well I mean it is basically a love story set in a weird, hosed up future. That cover is awful, yes, but it's not totally out of place.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo, I didnt realize the full version was already available! And $3 for the kindle version is a great deal, gonna buy the poo poo out of it!

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
C'mon guys no love for House Of Leaves? It is kinda subjective though on that but still its a bloody ace read.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MyNameIsAlex posted:

C'mon guys no love for House Of Leaves? It is kinda subjective though on that but still its a bloody ace read.

It is, though it strays pretty far from the sort of "weird tales" template I'm thinking of. The Minotaur and the House itself definitely qualify as "cosmic horror" though.

I definitely didn't trust my walls after reading it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MyNameIsAlex posted:

I have no idea how anyone has ever managed to read House of Leaves. I've tried three times and failed to get more than five pages in before wanting to gouge my own eyes out. Horrible, terrible book.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I kept a page of two of the more absurd pages of House of Leaves bookmarked. A few months ago my brother came snooping around looking for books to "borrow" AKA never return, and he asked me about this.

I flip open to my chosen page and it has prose running up, down, sideways, in a little box in the corner that persisted for like a chapter, and a ton of footnotes. Not to mention there's at least three colors in play and a paragraph of footnotes.

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers

Jedit posted:

I have no idea how anyone has ever managed to read House of Leaves. I've tried three times and failed to get more than five pages in before wanting to gouge my own eyes out. Horrible, terrible book.

Most people disagree with you on that. It's confounding as gently caress but if you can break into the baffling set ups its actually very good. I will say though the authors other main book ain't too great.

Hmmm trying to think of choices not mentioned here already...

3000psi
Jan 25, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I really felt compelled to post in this thread, there are two modern books that namedrop lovecraft a lot: Cyclonopedia, and The End of Mr. Y. I haven't read the latter, but Cyclonopedia is really weird. I wouldn't say that it was good, there were a few interesting ideas obscured with really bad writing. It's a made up of some phony manuscript written about occultist archeology, but it degenerates into chatlogs of internet people talking about horror movies, so...

I've found that there's a lot of really good pre-modern fiction that Lovecraft took his ideas from. Fantasy, horror, detective fiction were all genres created primarily by German authors around the turn of the 19th century. But they don't have much of a presence in discussion. Of the top of my head, here are some books that may interest Lovecraft fans in one way or another.

Frederich Schiller - The Apparitionist, The Criminal of Lost Honor: A True Story
ETA Hoffmann - The Devil's Elixir, The Sandman
Heinrich von Kleist - The Marquise of O
Novalis - Heinrich von Ofterdingen
William Beckford - Vathek
Charles Brockden Brown - Wieland
James Hogg - The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
Arthur Machen - The Great God Pan
Algernon Blackwood - The Willows
George Macdonald - Lilith

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

A Colder War by Charles Stross is a pretty much a must read for Lovecraft fans. You can read it for free here: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Thanks for this. just finished it and was very excellent.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If you don't have trouble with heightened language, just about any Arthur Machen or Algernon Blackwood that is readily available is great, though less on the order of "Mythos" horror. Both of them were major influences on Lovecraft, and it's pretty apparent when you read them. Ambrose Bierce had some that he drew influence from; The Damned Thing comes to mind.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
I love the old timey language. I sometimes put on audiobooks of Lovecraft stories to fall asleep at night.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a handful of okay stories in it, but Will Murray's The Sothis Radiant in this out of print anthology is really goddamned good and does Lovecraftian cosmic nihilism as well as anything I've seen.

arinlome
Feb 13, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I love Lovecraft. Lovecraft is decades ahead of his time. I'll always think reading Lovecraft is worthwhile. That said, Lovecraft is a pretty lovely writer. I couldn't imagine reading that much of him at once.
This sums it up perfectly. Lovecraft had an amazing imagination, and he's definitely worth reading, but his writing borders on abysmal. At the Mountains of Madness is pretty brilliant though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

arinlome posted:

This sums it up perfectly. Lovecraft had an amazing imagination, and he's definitely worth reading, but his writing borders on abysmal. At the Mountains of Madness is pretty brilliant though.

The quality of his writing really is dependent on when he wrote it. The quality has been steadily improving as I've progressed through his works. It'd make sense that AtMoM would be better than most, it being one of his later ones.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should also look up Clark Ashton Smith. He was a contemporary of HPL, and Lovecraft supposedly considered him to be a better writer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

You should also look up Clark Ashton Smith. He was a contemporary of HPL, and Lovecraft supposedly considered him to be a better writer.

Weren't they actually friends and corresponded with each other, along with Robert E. Howard? Some of Lovecraft's stories even refer to some wizard or something named Klarkash-Ton.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
CAS was indeed a better writer. He was also the originator of the Dying Earth genre, if I recall correctly. Emperor of Dreams has some really good stories in it. I wouldn't really call him that good at the horror thing. He did have some horror stories but the Zothique and Hyperborea ones were always much more interesting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Weren't they actually friends and corresponded with each other, along with Robert E. Howard? Some of Lovecraft's stories even refer to some wizard or something named Klarkash-Ton.

They were. Them, along with August Derleth, Robert Bloch (at a very late point) and a couple others were called the "Lovecraft Circle" at one point.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

...August Derleth...

Twitch...twitch...

Don't read anything remotely related to cosmic horror if it was written by Derleth. Check out his ghost stories, or his Solar Pons stories. Those are good, but he completely and totally missed the point with cosmic horror.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I am a huge fan of Lovecraft. When I get bored with him, I like to go back to his big inspirations, especially Lord Dunsany (get this collection! and Robert Chambers get this, even though most of it is kind of lame, The King in Yellow is utterly brilliant.

Dunsany has the absolute best prose of anybody, period. I went on to buy a lot of his other works, and while nothing really touches Pegana, it's still fascinating.

Ornamented Death posted:

Twitch...twitch...

Don't read anything remotely related to cosmic horror if it was written by Derleth. Check out his ghost stories, or his Solar Pons stories. Those are good, but he completely and totally missed the point with cosmic horror.

I hate Derleth with such a passion. Not only did he pervert Lovecraft's mythos to suit his own stupid neo-Christian scheme, but he made up so much bullshit that is now thought to be canon it makes me sick. Every time somebody calls Hastur the King in Yellow, I want to go dig up Derleth's corpse and spit in his face. Cthulhu's 'half-brother?' C'mon, you stupid poo poo, the Great Old Ones have no need for relations - they always have been, and always will be. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 18, 2012

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

GrandpaPants posted:

I actually bought a copy of this after reading most of that retelling someone linked earlier and I was really reluctant to because of that horrible cover. I mean, I can understand a cover like that for a e-reader edition but jesus.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

I actually bought a copy of this after reading most of that retelling someone linked earlier and I was really reluctant to because of that horrible cover. I mean, I can understand a cover like that for a e-reader edition but jesus.

If I bought that I'd rip the cover off. It's a drat shame, because the imagery that could come out of that book is epic. A giant steel pyramid, burning with a thousand lights, while darkness and huge, weird beasts encroach on all sides? We should get a talented goon artist to do it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, it really just looks like someone just slapped together a couple of stock images in Photoshop and then ran it through some filters and the Smudge tool. The story deserves more than that, I mean c'mon!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CornHolio posted:

C'mon, you stupid poo poo, the Great Old Ones have no need for relations - they always have been, and always will be.

I don't know, I hear Yog-Sothoth had a couple of kids. (Derleth can still go fhtagn himself, though.)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Going to put forward "Southern Gods" by John Honor Jacobs. Also, the short story "N" by Steven King from Just After Sunset is amazing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Both Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber and Greg Stolze's Mask of the Other are great.

Our Lady of Darkness, is one big tribute to Lovecraft and Ashton Smith set in 70s San Francisco in which an alcoholic author discovers the dark secrets and entities behind the city.

Mask of the Other follows a group of ex-soldiers as they try to deal with the implications of their looting of Saddam's extremely under funded occult weapons program in the first gulf war. Think Three Kings crossed with Shadows over Innsmouth.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
I enjoyed the two Tim Curran books, Hive and Spawning.

They're presented as unofficial, modern day, sequels to At the Mountains of Madness and do it justice in my opinion. The cover of Hive is a bit hokey, but don't be put off by that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Since Gaiman's story was mentioned, I'll put down "Shadows Over Baker Street" which is Holmes in a Lovecraftian world. It contains Gaiman's story and its enjoyable enough on the cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Over-Baker-Street-Terror/dp/0345452739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331491209&sr=1-1

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I did this a couple years ago. Try using The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast as a reading guide/book club. It's a great podcast and it's nice to commiserate with someone else when you get to "The Street."

http://hppodcraft.com/

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Since Gaiman's story was mentioned, I'll put down "Shadows Over Baker Street" which is Holmes in a Lovecraftian world. It contains Gaiman's story and its enjoyable enough on the cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Over-Baker-Street-Terror/dp/0345452739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331491209&sr=1-1

There's a couple good stories in here but I couldn't really recommend it. I've read every Sherlock Holmes adventure and nearly every Lovecraft story, but quite a few of these seemed like they didn't really get the spirit of feel of either of those two.

FJG
Jun 26, 2003
Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest is sort of Lovecraftian/pulp/sci-fi/cosmic horror/comic 1920s musical/god knows what - very strange book, and fair warning, a lot of people didn't like it, but interesting and worth looking at.

Also, seconding the recommendations for Ligotti.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Capm posted:

I did this a couple years ago. Try using The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast as a reading guide/book club. It's a great podcast and it's nice to commiserate with someone else when you get to "The Street."

http://hppodcraft.com/

Ygh. The Street and its brethren are what make it really tough to read the complete works.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is more for horror in general, but I want to toss out a recommendation for the Delirium Book Club. They put out 24 novellas a year showcasing some of the best talent in the horror and weird (and weird horror!) genres - if anyone pays attention to such things in the 52 books a year thread, any of my listings noted as a novella are from this book club.

Here's the current lineup for 2012 (it isn't finalized just yet). Of the titles out so far, The Underdwelling and, to a lesser extent, Heartless are monster stories, Subject 11 and Lords of Twilight are just really goddamn weird (in a good way), and The Men Upstairs is...different (it's good, though). I haven't read Thirty Miles South of Dry County yet, but the previous 30 book club novellas I've read lead me to believe it will at least be enjoyable.

There's a hardcover membership and an epub/Kindle membership. The hardcover membership can get kind of pricey ($53 a month), but you can get the epub/Kindle membership for like $70 a year, which is less than three bucks a book.

They're doing a membership drive right now with bonuses for referrers (credit) and referees (free books), but I don't want to poo poo up this thread with that so if anyone is interested, let me know and maybe we can start up a referral chain in Coupons or something.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Echoing Clark Ashton Smith. He writes better than Lovecraft and focuses more on abstract settings and concepts than on plot, which in my opinion works much better for the genre. And you can read all of his work for free here!

Start out with The Abominations of Yondo perhaps. Here's the opening paragraph:

quote:

The sand of the desert of Yondo is not as the sand of other deserts; for Yondo lies nearest of all to the world's rim; and strange winds, blowing from a pit no astronomer may hope to fathom, have sown its ruinous fields with the gray dust of corroding planets, the black ashes of extinguished suns. The dark, orblike mountains which rise from its wrinkled and pitted plain are not all its own, for some are fallen asteroids half-buried in that abysmal sand. Things have crept in from nether space, whose incursion is forbid by the gods of all proper and well-ordered lands; but there are no such gods in Yondo, where live the hoary genii of stars abolished and decrepit demons left homeless by the destruction of antiquated hells.

Some others I would recommend are the The Death of Malygris and The Charnel God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Though not exactly Lovecraftian, I'd say the Dead Space novel (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Martyr-Brian-Evenson/dp/0765325039) could fit this thread. It's based on a game, yes, but I didn't find it too terrible; the writing is bad to mediocre at best, but the plot itself is interesting enough. It focuses around a truly alien artifact found in an ancient crater, and people who don't know better (of course) messing with it until things turn very, very sour.