Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
A Colder War by Charles Stross is a pretty much a must read for Lovecraft fans. You can read it for free here: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you're going to mention A Colder War then you also have to mention the Laundry novels - The Atrocity Archives, The Jennifer Morgue and The Fuller Memorandum. They're equal parts of Lovecraft, John le Carre and second line helpdesk support.

EDIT: Also dig out William Hope Hodgson. Well worth it.

I dont know, the Laundry books are fun to ready, but they dont have the note of dread that A Colder War evokes. I would say the Laundry books a more lighthearted take on roughly the same subject matter as A Colder War. A sort of cross-breed between The Dresden Files and Men in Black.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 21, 2012

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

You could make an (albeit fuzzy) argument for The Mist as well.

The Mist fits in really well, as does IT.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

If you're having trouble reading HPL, how about listening?

ed: there's a sample of the re-working of W. H. Hodgson's "The Night Land" here, the original of which Lovecraft considered "one of the most potent pieces of macabre imagination ever written."

Man I read the whole of the re-write that is currently available in one reading and it was really great. I really wanted to know what happed after the most recent re-written chapter and switched over to the original. I cannot express in words just how terrible the original is compared to the re-write. I gave up after about 5 more minutes because reading the original was like hammering nails into my own head.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah, The Night Land is a tough read because of idiotic manner of writing Hodgson adopts to make the protagonist seem like a 17th century guy. But, it's totally worth fighting through because the story is just absolutely wild.

Thats kind of like saying that having your hand crushed by industrial machinery is worth it for all the morphine you get to have at the hospital. Yes, I found the writing to be THAT bad. Dont get me wrong I agree the story is great, but I will be waiting for the re-write to be completed before continuing to read, I can't bear to read the original.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't know a re-write existed, and when I went to see if it was available on Amazon, I was greeted with one of the worst covers I have ever seen: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327380136&sr=8-1

That is actually sort of making me hesitant on getting it even though everything I have heard makes me think that I will like the book.

Holy poo poo, I didnt realize the full version was already available! And $3 for the kindle version is a great deal, gonna buy the poo poo out of it!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The new Charles Stross Laundry novel, The Apocalypse Codex, is out today!

Was about to buy it for my kindle and found out amazon wants $16. What the gently caress amazon?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

It'd be interesting to see a Lovecraftian Apocalyse actually occur for once instead of being narrowly averted

Check out the Adversary Cycle by F. Paul Wilson. You could probably just jump right into the last book, Nightworld, that has an awesome Lovecraftian Apocalypse.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SlaveTrader posted:

Wilson writes Repairman Jack as some libertarian ubermensch with all of the secondary characters being hilarious racist stereotypes. It gets incredibly grating.

Yeah I couldnt read past the 4th or 5th book, it got really terrible.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just reiterating the Thomas Ligotti recommendation. Finding his material in print can be frustrating; it's rather expensive. Thankfully, his stuff is slowly getting rolled out in the Kindle format.

Yeah, one of my biggest regrets is passing on an original copy of Nightmare Factory for a measly $40. This was before I realized just how rare and valuable that particular collection was, they usually go for several hundred dollars on ebay.

I did manage to snag copies of Noctuary and Shadow at the Bottom of the World though.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just a heads up, everyone here need to drop everything and go watch Cabin in the Woods. Its basically Laundry Files: The Movie.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MoreLikeTen posted:

Is there anything on a level with A Colder War? That was so great, and nothing has really matched it since.

I definitely havent read anything that was as pitch-perfect as A Colder War.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Finished London Falling the other day and its pretty great in terms of being more on the horror side than just urban fantasy. Highly recommended.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Neurosis posted:

That's the one. I don't remember anything about Jews. The main villains, such as they were, were a weird rural family that made everyone uncomfortable, a little like the family in The Dunwich Horror, I guess. I don't remember anything about them being Jewish, and I've always thought the science Barron used was pretty vague so it doesn't offend my knowledge of it too much. Albeit my training is in law and economics and my science understanding is mostly from private research so there's not much there to offend. I really liked the imagery in the story, the depiction of the extreme alcoholism and depression of the protagonist, and I thought the monsters, such as they were, were pretty creepy.

I believe that some neighboring farmer mentioned that the family was Jewish.

Anyways, my personal problem with Barron is that he's great at building atmosphere, but cant seem to figure out how to write a good climax in most of his stories. You get this great building of tension that ends up just sputtering out. Its a real shame.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what cosmic horror is best at being cosmic? Y'know, giving a sense of scope and grandeur, conveying a universe that is alien, uncaring, and utterly inimical to human life.

A Colder War by Charles Stross, and its even free to read online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I loved Colder War but disliked the Laundry series, at least based on the first book. I found the nerd humour extremely obnoxious and unfunny.

He actually tones it down in later books after Jennifer Morgue.