Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
There's been a few mentions of Thomas Ligotti already who's quite an amazing author but sadly most of his works are incredibly expensive. Is there anyone who knows about another author who's more along his lines? Instead of having cruel gods like The Old Ones, Ligotti just has a really dreadful world and he's less gratifying when it comes to the horror. I don't remember him often going into big huge monsters with tentacles everywhere and such which was what made his work so terrifying.

I have to get myself a copy of Teatro Grottesco again... might buy his 2 other cheaper novels at the same time and I'm seriously considering to pre-order Noctuary or get a copy of Grimscribe. Does anyone know HOW different the new editions of Grimscribe/Noctuary are compared to the old ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Ligotti is certainly a talented writer, but the way he approaches keeping his poo poo in print is loving infuriating. I'm all for signed limited editions, god knows my shelves are full of them, but put out a drat trade paperback or an ebook, too.

I've never seen an author as popular as Ligotti that is so seemingly against having people actually read his stories. I think I mentioned it before, but I essentially don't recommend Ligotti anymore because it only irritates people when they learn they're going to have to drop $40 (if they're lucky) for just one of his books. There are numerous writers that are just as good as Ligotti and that have the added bonus of being constantly in-print and affordable.

I agree that it's infuriating although I've yet to read another author similar to him. I'll definitely check out the recommendation said earlier though :).

And thanks for the info about the reprint, I'll check for what I can get for cheaper when it comes to Grimscribe and Dead. Probably pre-ordering Noctuary tonight though!

EDIT: Just got myself a new copy of Teatro since my ex lost it :sassargh: hopefully I receive it during my Easter break to read around 1AM while listening to the rain

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 27, 2012

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Just read Blood Will Have Its Season by Pulver Sr. after having it for many years. Why is he considered a good author? Most of the stories were completely uninteresting to me and the prose was poor to put it mildly. I was also astounded as to the number of typos throughout the book. Am I really just missing something here? I love Ligotti and some of the authors in Vastarien but Blood was one of the few books I didn't manage to get through.