Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm working my way through Laird Barron's The Croning now, and really everyone needs to go buy this book right now.

Just about finished with this book and its awesome.

Anyone suggest anything else with a similar style? It was an easy read, and just kept me going because what the gently caress is going on was not revealed until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

Generally speaking they're better, likely because he's had a lot more practice writing short stories. The Imago Sequence is readily available, and while it looks like Occultation is sold out at a lot of places, that's most likely because Night Shade is about to release the trade paperback edition.

Where are you finding the Imago Sequence? I picked up Occultation no problem on Amazon, but they canceled my Imago Sequence order.

I will add that Occultation is very good, but I think I liked The Croning a bit better.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
That must be it, I was hoping for The Imago Sequence hardcover edition, I just see the paperback version on NightShade.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Don read like a man in his late 60s. Some frailties and neuroses but nothing crippling. Then again, he could have been a Rupert Murdoch type who defies senescence, I guess. Honestly I thought the mid section was very weak, while the Rumplestiltskin story and conclusion were very strong. The former appealed to my basic superstitions and human fear of the dark, while the latter was pure cosmic horror.

I've read the first few stories in Occultation and Other Stories and I have really not been impressed. Occultation itself was okay but not particularly scary. The ghost story was just kind of meh. It meandred along and never emerged from the muck.

Barron has a few writer ticks that bother me as well. "He/she lighted a cigarette" (which reads wrong to my Australian English) and his obsession with alcohol (despite being an inveterate boozehound myself) are a little jarring every time.

Barron is all about sex, drugs and cosmic beings. I think thats pretty awesome.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I've found John langan to be ok, worth two books. I just finished north American river monsters as recommended by Barron and that was some good stuff. Obviously not the same as Barron but it was pretty good. The stories were pretty horrific, which is always a plus. Just not monster horrific, more like single mother ditching her daughter at a truckstop horrific.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I just got my copy of The Children of Old Leech in the mail, along with accompanying chapbook :drool:. I'm excited to dig into it, because while I agree with all of the criticisms of Barron's writings being the product of a hairy-chested Xerox machine, I love his stuff and I'm excited to see what other people do with it

I'm about half way through, some hits some misses. I'm definitely enjoying it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Dead Sea was some great pulp on a higher level than I expected, thanks for the recommends. I didn't quite expect the "everything and the kitchen sink kills someone" approach which seemed to make it drag out a bit longer than I'd have liked (especially at the end as everyone is snipped off abruptly which seems to not do much but avoid a complicated epilogue) however, it was a mostly well-written (if poorly edited in kindle) novel which tied off all of the loose ends fairly snappily right when I thought it was in danger of flailing out of control.

I found the repeated descriptions of the water and fog pretty obnoxious after the 100th repeat. Could have cut 200 pages and made a better book.

I will say that The Hive by the same author is much better and worth a read. It's essentially At the Mountains of Madness extended edition.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Speaking of vandermeer, I just finished the ambergris books and loved them. Anyone know anything similar? I read the southern reach books first and was really only into the first one.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Ambergris is very heavily influenced by M. John Harrion's Viriconium sequence and has not a little bit of Fritz's Leiber's Lankhmar of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser and The San Francisco of Our Lady of Darkness. Maybe Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast, but that is set in a castle, not a city, until the last book.

Cool, I'll check these out.

Not so much the based in a city or setting, but the writing style and the strangeness that I love. Thats not to say the world building isn't excellent.

I've read the mieville books already and those were great.

I've gone through a ton of the horror mentioned in this thread and am starting to get into the "weird" fiction.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 1, 2014

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Bolverkur posted:

I thought the first story was just terribly bland and underwhelming, like the rest of the book. I can't say much though, I gave up after a few stories. There was just nothing in them. Everything felt so bland and watered-down.

I've been reading Ligotti and like another poster here, am excited to talk about Teatro Grottesco when I finish it. I'm taking it real slow, only one story at a time with some intervals. It's absolutely terrific so far. The apathy and the dreamlike reality of every story really gets to me like nothing else.

I recently read the first Southern Reach novel and really liked it. Everything about it was just great and I really liked how nothing was overexplained or made dull. It felt very fresh and exciting. When starting the second novel I found myself unable to continue somehow, the leap from the narrator of the first book to the beginning of the second one was too jarring. I'm going to take a short break and then give it another try, because I know this is something I want to explore further. Maybe I'll try the Ambergris stuff in the meantime.

The rest of the southern reach books are not so great. Worth the read for completions sake. The first ambergris novel, city of saints and madmen, is amazing though.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Dr. Benway posted:

Can anyone comment on Tim Curran's The Hive vs. The Dead Sea? I finished The Dead Sea a bit ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it could have been about a hundred pages shorter without him mentioning that, "There's seaweed everywhere and this place is creepy. No, seriously, it's really creepy.", every other paragraph.

I had the exact same thought. The hive is much better. It's essentially at the mountains of madness extended edition.

Seriously, dead Sea could have been cut in half.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I'm kinda torn on Vandermeer since I loved Southern Reach but almost equally hated Verniss Underground (how can you even turn a setting this cool into so dull a story, ugh) so I'm honestly not sure how the rest of his work is. Any books stand out?

That is probably his least favorite for me. City of saints and madmen was great, as are the other ambergris books.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Having read the annihilation trilogy and then roadside picnic, what else is there out there in a similar vein?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

There's The Silent Land by Graham Joyce.

Thank you, sounds like a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

I don't know exploring a weird place you don't understand is like the best parts of roadside picnic and southern reach, but I couldn't think of anything else that fits.

But yeah, there's a bit more to it as the main characters being dead ain't even a spoiler. It's like considering the day repeating forever a spoiler for Groundhog Day, it's the loving premise! The interest is in seeing how the characters react.

This is the weird fiction thread, if you aren't here primarily for tone and mood, I don't even loving know.

I picked up the book but have not yet opened it up yet. The exploration of the strange and mysterious place is exactly what I was looking for.