Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:shobon: I pre-ordered the Apocalypse Codex but forgot to sync up my kindle over the last week. Looks like the book is ready for download. Hahaha, hooray!

I've been having a lot of fun turning HP Lovecraft's stories into homemade audiobooks. It's easy for the shorter stories but man the dude gets super wordy with a lot of his fiction. What's nice is that many of his pieces use the conceit of a lost journal or final diary entry being dictated to the audience so it works well for reading aloud.

I've read one Poe story aloud but just haven't locked onto his works as much. There's something eerie but ultimately very listenable with Lovecraft's prose compared to other writers. Of course, every time he talks about how something was so horrible he couldn't possibly write it down I laugh. Woo, force us to use our imagination, HP!

Thanks for listing these other authors, they should help add some new late night reading/audiobook material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

While we consider our next mind-blasting tome of ancient horror, you might want to check out this frontpage article: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/cthulhu-mansions-madness.php

Good times in Chaosium's Call of Cthulu RPG. The second installment is even better but helps if you've met the characters from the first ep.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

Plus, they're doing "The Thing on the Fourble Board," a classic radio play about a group of roughnecks who drilled too deep and discovered something horrific.

Thank you for mentioning this. I listened to this piece and a couple others and they are creepy as hell. "Quiet, Please" is the name of the program and it's worth checking out a few episodes.

http://www.quietplease.org/index.php?section=episode&id=60

"Whence Came You" is another creepfest with Egyptian tones: http://www.quietplease.org/index.php?section=episode&id=37

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I wanted to thank this thread for turning me on to Barron. I just finished Imago Sequence and it's pretty much a given that I'll be picking up Occultation next time I visit the library.
I want to echo these sentiments since i just got Barron's "Imago Sequence" the other night and am plowing through that. The kindle version is garbage though - it has no table of contents so I just have to read read read to make it to the next story.

It's been a mixed bag and I've skipped one story almost entirely. Still, one out of several isn't too bad, I have a much worse threshold for Lovecraft.

It's not a single author but while you folks are whiling away the hours you should check out "The Horror" an audio podcast of old time radio suspense and horror stories. There are some really goofy ones and some frankly creepy stories mixed in. He releases two per week (wednesday and saturday) and they're all available online in case you want to skip around and try things out.

I recommend "The Thing on the Fourble Board", "The Demon Tree", "The Vampires Desire" and pretty much any of the "Quiet Please" stories. http://www.relicradio.com/otr/show/horror

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Which one did you skip?

I flipped through Parallax. It didn't grab me and though I saw bits and pieces it took too long to get to any point before I lost interest. Nearly at the same place with The Royal Zoo but I'll try slogging through.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Well, as long as you read every word of the final story, that can be forgiven.

No problem, I'll just sit down and read "The Imago Sequence".

:catstare:

:stonk:

:cthulhu:

That'll do Barron, that'll do.

Definitely a fun book, thank you folks for the recommendation. Now to get his other stuff.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

The Red Tree is as good a place to start as any.

Actually, the problem with Kiernan is similar to the problem with Ligotti; a lot of her stuff is out of print. All of her short story collections are done by Subterranean Press, and as of yet they haven't put out ebooks.

Oh no you don't. :colbert: I ain't gonna be diggin up no out-of-print books of blasphemous horrors the likes of which Man Was Not Meant to Know. I learned my lesson already with that Alhazred fella. Leave them ding dang forbidden books alone!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

"The Unmentionable Horror of the Taco Bell Beefy Megacrunch - or, How I Birthed a Shoggoth and Got My Writer's Groove Back."

Go go Ligotti! :unsmith:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I just finished reading "Equoid" and agree with Ornamented Death. It's another solid side-entry in the series. I like these short stories because I really like the world Stross has built. I want to read more one-offs like this in between the major novels to explore the different critters and mythology he's built up. Go Charlie, go!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Agentdark posted:

this might be a hard one, but I remember a story in an anthology about a visit to a city considered the Last Refuge of the Assyrian Empire, and something about a Diamond. Does anyone know what this story is called. It was in one of the Lovecraft Inspired Anthologies, but for the life of me I cant remember what its called.

Is this the book and story you were looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Kindr...kindred+horrors

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601741.txt

"The Fire of Asshurbanipal"

I love the story, lots of good creepiness out in the desert.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ravenkult posted:

The genre hijacked by writers who couldn't get published and decided their books were poo poo ''ironically'' then created a cult around it?
Yeah, why not?

Surely you are not suggesting that such fine tales as:
- The Morbidly Obese Ninja
- The Faggiest Vampire
- Ocean of Lard (Choose Your Own Mindfuck Fest #17)
and
- The Kobold Wizard's Dildo of Enlightenment +2 (an Adventure for 3-6 Players, Levels 2-5

are anything other than modern American masterpieces! Why, that would be absurd! I just hope "The Haunted Vagina" lives up to its thrilling premise.

They are pretty dreadful stories and the prose is functional at best. Shock-value and grossouts are the main draws for anyone reading these, I think. They do make me laugh though they are a bit embarrassing to have on the shelf. The Faggiest Vampire is a pretty wholesome children's story once you get past the language.

Thing is, this dude is massively prolific. He does seem to get better with time so if you don't mind reading some of his practice stories and have a bit of a warped sense of humor then you'll find some pretty tired plots redone with very silly new premises. He writes love stories but they take place between unlikely protagonists. He'll do an action-adventure story and it's just bizarre crap that's been anthropomorphized because it makes him laugh. I doubt you'll ever see these folks win any literary awards or get any notice but so what? Not everything has to strive for that kind of recognition. I still crack open The Morbidly Obese Ninja and laugh my way through the pages. Who knows how this stuff will be seen in the future? HP Lovecraft published his stuff in tawdry pulp magazines of the day but here we are, nearly a century later all chattering about his legacy. Maybe Lovecraft's racism was ironic, ya know?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

And now I'm imagining the shocking tale of The Colon Out Of Space:

It was just a colon out of space—a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes.

I'm an ancient being of unspeakable horror, you probably haven't heard of me.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Hey, so the new Laundry book, The Rhesus Chart, is really good.

I"m reading it right now. Wooooo! I wish he could publish these faster or had more short titles in the same universe. Go Charlie Stross!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Have you read the stories "Down on the Farm", "Overtime", and "Equoid"? They're all published online and quite good.

Yes. Equoid was especially creepy. I'm loving the universe he's created and the sheer drudgery of the bureaucracy he works within. Good stuff!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

It doesn't seem quite like the other entries mentioned, which sometimes look like ironic shitposting in fiction form. Recommend giving it a try if any of this interests.
I already paid my tenbux for all the ironic shitposting I can handle. :colbert:

The Rat - For me, the Laundry series does a really good job of showing how annoying committees and civil service kinds of jobs are. I really like his description of all the frustrations of having to fill out endless forms to get anything done and keep track of every paperclip. I work in IT so a lot of his stuff sounds like "true tales from the front" that I've experienced myself.

On the other hand, I won't disagree too loudly that it was fairly limited on the action front till the final act but still I enjoyed it and look forward to the next.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Also, someone on his blog pointed this out and I love it-- in the Laundry universe, there actually is a very good and real reason to keep track of every paperclip. :v:
Hahah oh yeah, it even featured as a bit of a plot point in Atrocity Archives i think. Gotta love that attention to detail.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Just got done with "A Night in the Lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny. It was a fun read and well worth getting from your local library. I don't have any interest in reading it again but he does spin a good tale. It has loads of Lovecraftian elements but isn't a particularly scary story. It's more humorous than anything.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm glad I read it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone have a good book or collection that kind of captures a Twin Peaks flavor of weirdness? I recently read [b]American Elsewhere[b/], which kind of scratched the itch of "there's something wrong with this vaguely friendly town" but I'd like some more of that if it's out there.

Play the game "Alan Wake", it's a lot of fun and is appropriately Lynchian weirdness. As you progress through the game you'll pick up pages of the main character's manuscript. There's a creepy novel they wrote for background to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dr. Benway posted:

Ages and ages ago there was a thread in GBS , I think, of goons reading Lovecraft. There weren't many entries, but some of them were pretty well done. Does anyone happen to have these? I'm sure the links are long dead (or perhaps just eternally sleeping).

Here's my entries from that thread: http://tindeck.com/album/ivzvl