Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Aside from the original Lovecraft short stories, are there any works from this genre on audiobook? I haven't been able to find anything on audible, which is a shame because I have a lot more time for listening (ie car/work) than reading right now.

Charles Stross's Laundry Series is on audiobook, if you like that. I like the horror in it, but his attempts at comedy always grate on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SlaveTrader posted:

Don't do this. The Adversary Cycle has some nifty ideas wrapped in a blanket of crappy writing. With Repairman Jack, the blanket is infested with small pox and is made of asbestos. Wilson writes Repairman Jack as some libertarian ubermensch with all of the secondary characters being hilarious racist stereotypes. It gets incredibly grating.

I had heard great things about the Repairman Jack series, but reading the first novel put me off anything further, for the exact reasons you've just mentioned.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hedrigall posted:

Equoid was great. It was like reading Johnny-English-style wacky spy parody, then all of a sudden you're in Laird Barron territory and throwing up your lunch.

I read it based on this, and while I liked it, I felt it was a lot of work for Charles Stross to go through just to make the same joke that Cabin in the Woods made in 2012.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

JerryLee posted:

It reads to me like you used the word perfectly properly and God of Paradise just parsed it wrong. 'The nameless protagonist overcome with nameless dread' doesn't indicate that the protagonist is overcoming anything if one reads it correctly; rather, it says just what you intended it to.
That is also what I got out of his post.

I'm halfway through Teatro Grottesco and I'll be excited to talk about it when I finish.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bolverkur posted:

I've been reading Ligotti and like another poster here, am excited to talk about Teatro Grottesco when I finish it. I'm taking it real slow, only one story at a time with some intervals. It's absolutely terrific so far. The apathy and the dreamlike reality of every story really gets to me like nothing else.

That was me, and I just finished. Teatro Grottesco was fantastic, and while people like to compare Ligotti to Lovecraft, I think he's a lot closer to being the David Lynch of print. Teatro Grottesco has a lot of stories concerned with turning the mundane, daily grind into a thing of horror (or exposing the horror in capitalist existence, if you prefer), much the same way Eraserhead does. People like to say that things are "nightmarish" when they really mean scary, but Ligotti and Lynch both deal in horror that uses actual elements of nightmares in the way they're presented. Time is questionable, and most of the stories take place more in a strange everyplace rather than any country in the real world. Characters end up in menacing situations without any linear narrative of how they got there. I can't help but think that this would make an amazing horror anthology film, because all the stories work together, but each stands alone really well, and so many of them deal with working environments rather than, say, the plateau of Leng.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

I guess Patreon is the new hotness for indie horror writers. A few people dipped their toes in it last year, but Brian Keene jumped in and is making a reasonable chunk of change for letting patrons read chapters of his books as he writes them (he still plans to do a traditional release once they are complete). Now it seems like everyone is rushing to get their account set up.

Are any other horror writers doing this? I'd put into a patreon for more Zack Parsons horror.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Pope Guilty posted:

I only ever read Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon, what horror has he done?

Like Rough Lobster pointed out, he did the horror-comedy series, Conex Convict Connections, which actually had a couple of sequel articles:
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/conex-last-meals/1/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/clavo-pageant-conex/1/

He also did the Instruction for a Help series, which you see referenced on the forums occasionally:
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/daily-dirt/instruction-for-america.php

And my personal favorite, That Insidious Beast
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/that-insidious-beast/

They're all fantastic. LIMINAL STATES had some great horror elements, but I didn't like the overall story. I suspect it didn't sell as well as My Tank is Fight, and I hope he doesn't give up horror altogether. I'd put into a patreon if it meant another That Insidious Beast or even a couple more clavo adventures.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Are there any writers like Phillip K Dick, but uncontaminated by being a subhuman schizophrenic?

Are you doing a thing here?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I'm guessing "aspie" is the part that he's taking issue to but honestly "snark" was the operative word in echopraxia's post.

Oh, yeah, I didn't even read echopraxia as hatin' on disabilities, so I thought Vosigan was serious. Now that you point it out, though, aspie is a weird tag to hang on snark.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

What do people think of Andersen Prunty? Does he belong in a thread about weird fiction?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

End Of Worlds posted:

Wow Robert Aickman's short The Swords disturbed me more than any story I've read in a long, long time

Just, like

augh
What did you find disturbing about it? I thought the author was going for kind of a darkly comedic tone.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dr. Killjoy posted:

unfortunately Stross decided to keep up with his "spend 75% of the book on bureaucratic circlejerking" balance of content from the Rhesus Chart.

I kept hoping that Case Nightmare Green would be his excuse to stop this. I get the feeling that his fanbase doesn't hate this as much as I do, but I don't understand why, it is legitimately unfunny and a distraction from the actual horror that is ostensibly the point of the books.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Prop Wash posted:

The books started as, and continue to be, a balance of bureaucratic circlejerking and cosmic horror. If you have a problem with the basic premise of the books then maybe you should stop reading them?

The books started as A Colder War which was the best thing he's ever written, and which he keeps hinting he'll get back to. He just doesn't.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Noam Chomsky posted:

Has anyone read The Deep by Nick Cutter? It's pretty loving weird.

No, but I have read The Shallows by John Langan. It's the one that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, about an old man recounting stories of his life to a little crab-thing as he tends to a garden in the post-Old Ones apocalypse. It was part of his collection The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies but I got it in audiobook format as part of The Book of Chulhu. That anthology was a real mixed bag, but The Shallows was definitely the highlight for me.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Evfedu posted:

If you haven't got it yet I would utterly recommend The Wide, Carnivorous Sky because that poo poo was fantastic.

It's unfortunate that so many cosmic horror authors don't get audiobook releases. I first heard one of Thomas Ligotti's short stories on a Best New Horror audiobook, and ended up making time to read the ebook of Teatro Grottesco, which was totally worth it. I know, first world problems, but it galls me that I can hear Dean Koontz audiobooks for days and the best Ligotti or Langan can do is a short story in someone else's anthology.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

The Subterranean Press editions and the new Penguin Classics edition have revised stories; any other collections should be original. If you want a side-by-side, you're probably going to have to pony up for the original editions since Ligotti posting such a thing would be giving away a fairly large chunk of his work essentially for free, and anyone else doing it would be pirating the material to do so.

I imagine a person could just post up excerpts of what was changed without pirating it, unless really large portions were changed. Even then, there could be some key examples.

Edit: If someone wants to send me an un-revised book or ebook, I'll post comparisons of an appropriate length for fair use.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 19, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GrandpaPants posted:

Given how much of Ligotti is the mood that he evokes, it's probably really hard to notice a tangible difference from a sentence or two vs. reading an entire story and seeing how both are affected by the change in diction or whatever. But here are some examples from a random blog: https://heroictimes.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/ligotti-vs-ligotti-comparing-subterranean-press-vs-carroll-grafs-grimscribe-editions/

Oh, thanks, that's perfect. Those are really really small changes, too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey so I'm looking for some fairly specific recommendations-- I'm working on a project that's cosmic-horror inspired, and we'd like to track down some good short stories or novellas that have a theme of alien nature or the surrounding environment (a la Southern Reach) or specifically cosmic horror that puts heavy focus on unhospitable or Arctic environements (a la Mountains of Madness). I've read some Laird Barron, but I've been led to believe that a lot of his stuff is at least marginally focused on the Pacific Northwest or settings like that, is that true?

I'm not sure if it's what you're after, but maybe The Crystal World by JG Ballard?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ZeusJupitar posted:

The Night Land is a full novel, but it definitely has the inhospitable environment theme down.

Aw, good call.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hey cyclops, howsabout you tell Fido to fetch you a glass eye for the photo shoot, huh?!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I don't know anything about John Gwynne but now I want to.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hughlander posted:

I feel I asked this before. I had a recommendation for a weird tale. Radio telescope finds souls traveling after death to another planet where they are trapped in aliens bodies that drive them crazy due to their sense of id. Really want to reread it.

You're asking which one this is, and also recommending it, or you recommended it a while ago and can't remember? I mean, could someone with archives find you posting about it by name?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hughlander posted:

Sorry phone posting. I asked about it before either here or in the tell me the name of this story thread. However I also found out about it on these forums maybe this thread so I'm hoping someone recognizes it.

Searching this thread isn't yielding any quick results.

EDIT: But then it wouldn't if the person recommending it didn't also describe the plot like you did.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

mdemone posted:

Yeah I read this recently and I had to finish it in one sitting. The last scene is…whew.

It really is one of my favorite endings to anything ever.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

mdemone posted:

I had to go outside and get some fresh air at like 2AM. One of Koja's pieces of imagery there (Malcolm's face getting turned into viperfish teeth) really got to me for some reason, even though it's not a particularly remarkable idea.

I just really liked the conclusion (though I maybe should have figured it out before) of what the hole really IS.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So right now The Story Bundle says it's doing weird horror as a genre. I've never heard of any of these people before, is this worth buying?

The initial titles in the Weird Horror Bundle (minimum $5 to purchase) are:

The Art of Horrible People by John Skipp
Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson
American Monster by J.S. Breukelaar
The Pleasure Merchant by Molly Tanzer
Where We Live and Die by Brian Keene

If you pay more than $14, you also get:

The Last Final Girl by Stephen Graham Jones
Animal Money by Michael Cisco
The Last Horror Novel in the History of the World by Brian Allen Carr
Witch Hunt by Juliet Escoria

Are these worth money / my time to read?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

The $5 tier is definitely worth it. Jones and Cisco are aces, but i can't say I'm familiar with the other two in the $14 tier, so I can't in good conscience recommend it.
Thanks, though I maybe should have asked what all these books are and also if they are any good, but

Daveski posted:

I've read Skullcrack City and I really enjoyed it. Similar in style to John Dies at the End but with a slightly more mature sense of humor (i.e. less dick jokes).

Thanks for the heads up on the bundle, I went for the $14 tier even though I haven't heard of the others.

This is high praise, I really liked John Dies at the End.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Helsing posted:

In my paper back version of 'My Work Is Not Yet Done' there are two other Ligotti stories in the back, "I Have A Special Plan for this World" and "The Nightmare Network" and both of those are, in my opinion, much closer to straight up 'corporate horror'. I didn't find either of them to be particularly effective stories and like most of Ligotti's work I found myself admiring their experimentalism without finding them particularly engaging on a visceral level.

It's not corporate horror exactly, but I like Our Temporary Supervisor out of Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco more for workplace horror. A number of other stories in this collection have the same kind of feel, but aren't as explicitly work-related. Also, for some less-cosmic workplace horror, Bentley Little's The Consultant was an interesting attempt, and while I liked it, I can see why people wouldn't.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

General Battuta posted:

I'm pretty opposite, I wrote a big post earlier about what The Cipher is about (but chickened out of posting it),
I'd also really like to read that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

General Battuta posted:

The funhole is a process. It changes and corrupts (or exalts, depending who you ask). It wants to make Nick into a process too: alienation and alteration and mutation and dissolution, all incarnate, an entity that is nothing in itself but which bends and warps what's around it.

Interesting! Is this process directly symbolic or characteristic of a particular thing in nature or the real world, or is it meant to be read directly as paranormal corruption from without, like the devil?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

General Battuta posted:

I don't think it's quite either! But it's not a moral, personified force, and it has no good-or-bad valence in itself: it just transforms things, radically and abusively.
I'm not willing to buy into abusiveness as an elemental quality, as a universal force. I think transforming people into their worst selves must involve some kind of moral component, or must be symbolic of such.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I read The Crucible based on earlier discussion in this thread. I enjoyed the process of reading it but was almost disappointed in the ending.

The buildup of the hole and Nakota's driving obsession with it, the experiences Nicholas is an unwilling conduit for and the eventual cult following that forms around it was all really great and left me with a huge sense of dread and foreboding.

The final scenes didn't resonate with me much though, probably because everyone involved had it coming by virtue of being thorough assholes.

I agree with the poster earlier (sorry, I'm phone posting or I'd go back and find out who!) who said the hole works well as a metaphor for abusive relationships.
I think your phone autocorrected The Cipher.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zartosht posted:

So apparently, Thomas Ligotti wrote a script for the X-files.

It's like Mulder and Scully going through Cosmic Horror 101.

That was awesome. I wish they'd made that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Clipperton posted:

That was quite good. I've tried reading Ligotti (mostly his early stuff) and it didn't click--if I liked that screenplay, are there any collections/writing periods of his that are similar?

I very much liked the stories in Teattro Grottesco, and I'd say that they're similar.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, there are some writers doing interesting stuff with more traditional subgenres.

Tell us about them!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

I will when I'm not phone posting :v:

Ok, back at a real computer now.

Greg Gifune writes stories that are trippy as hell. His latest, Babylon Terminal takes place in a dream world; it's really hard to explain without spoiling major plot points, but it's a wild ride. A lot of his novels have settings similar to this, where the world as presented isn't what it seems. Going slightly older, his Lords of Twilight novella is about an alien encounter, and Apartment Seven...well I can't really tell you what it's about without spoiling it, but it is not cosmic or weird horror.

Adam Cesare writes books that capture that 80s horror vibe. Tribesmen is a kind of ghost story meets cannibal encounter novella and is the right kind of crazy. Zero Lives Remaining is about a ghost that haunts an arcade and what happens when it goes evil.

Michael McBride mostly writes various sorts of monster stories. They're all fun, if somewhat predictable at times. Tim Curran often falls into this category as well (though he writes a fair number of cosmic horror stories).

The most recent winner of the Bram Stoker award for best novel, Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts is neither cosmic nor weird, and is loving amazing.

Bryan Smith managed to squeeze a good tale out of the zombie apocalypse in Slowly We Rot, though to be fair, he did so by making the zombies part of the setting more than active antagonists.
Cool, I'll check them out! Thanks!

Ornamented Death posted:

Title change is probably the best option.
I'd really like a second separate thread just so I know if I'm about to be reading cosmic horror vs regular horror, unless there's not enough room in this town for the two threads.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

Plus shy of a small handful of authors, the gap between cosmic/weird horror and "traditional" horror has become so minimal it feels a little silly to arbitrarily separate them into two threads. There's no secret that the vast majority of modern horror writers owe a lot of inspiration to Lovecraft and his contemporaries and immediate followers.
That's not true but I wish it was. Maybe it's stopped, but last I checked "traditional" horror was being blown up by zombies, vampires, fairies, and ripoffs of Harry Dresden.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neurosis posted:

Are they? I recall a lot more 'I read this, and it was kind of poo poo' statements than in other threads. I could be wrong.

I think it'd be more useful just to get a set of those one-paragraph or one-line summaries like that in the OP so we can get the warnings too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Helical Nightmares posted:

Can you recommend a Langan story that really knocked your socks off?
The Shallows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Helical Nightmares posted:

Reading Greg Stolze's Mask of the Other. drat good. I think it's Delta Green. Try the sample. It should hook you.

And it's got an audiobook! That part sold me, anyway.