Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Jedit posted:

This is going to surprise a few people, but you may want to look into HG Wells. His best known short story is The Truth About Pyecraft, which is hilariously cynical more than weird, but he also wrote a few good ghost stories and tales of the weird - some of which, like Into The Abyss and The Story of the Late Mr Elvesham, are decidedly Lovecraftian.

There's a folio-style omnibus of all Wells's short fiction in print at a very reasonable price. I recommend you indulge.

I just read "The Star" and "The Country of the Blind". Although "The Star" more properly fits into the sci-fi genre, it was pretty creepy, and "The Country of the Blind" also had its moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Jedit posted:

Which version of The Country of the Blind did you read? Wells revised the story in the 1930s and had the Country of the Blind destroyed by a natural disaster that the inhabitants would not flee because they didn't believe Nunez could see it coming.

It was the unrevised version, where he found a way out of the valley on the eve of having his eyes removed

I'll have to see if I can find the revised version and see what it's like, although what you describe feels almost heavy-handed in contrast to the version I read. Almost like forcing the story to have a "moral" when it was fine as it was. Kind of like: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king and if the blind can't understand this natural law, they should pay the price for their backwardness