Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Human Tornada posted:

I think the Hunger Games poster is pretty good for what it is.

Complaining about a "cliched" pose just seems nitpicky when there's lots of other stuff going on around it, as opposed to the examples where it's just some vague lights or empty scenery. Every poster can't do something completely original.

Agreed. I don't know what else they could really do with the poster in terms of originality... Probably because I haven't read the book and have no goddamn clue what the movie is about beyond teenagers killing each other for other's entertainment. I guess it could be a poster of one child stabbing another in the face while someone watches it on TV with their kids, but I doubt that'd be acceptable in terms of a poster being marketed to kids. Blandness doesn't equal awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Here is a good poster for a film about kids killing each other.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Desperado Bones posted:

Here are more posters, the artist is Ernesto "Chango" García Cabral if anyone wants to look more of his stuff:

I hate you, because now I have to watch all of these movies so that I will have an excuse to own these posters.

Also, IMP has their nominations for its annual poster awards up. There's some impressive stuff-- good and bad.

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 24, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

You won't regret it Sheldrake, you won't. I hope you like musicals, because there's usually a lot of it there. But don't worry, it's entertaining and funny :)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Liar posted:

This poster's such a cluster-gently caress.

edit: I keep laughing at the random non-black guy on there. That Asian guy looks so out of place.

There's no corner store at Six Mile and Ilene. Besides, Six Mile is called McNichols in the city. That poster sucks! :colbert:

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Though it's quite old, I find the rat's face completely hilarious:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

There's no corner store at Six Mile and Ilene. Besides, Six Mile is called McNichols in the city. That poster sucks! :colbert:

I surveyed this road 2 months ago, he's right.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
What does the "GP" rating on that Willard poster mean?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's like PG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system#From_M_to_GP_to_PG posted:

Rated GP: All ages Admitted. Parental Guidance Suggested.
By 1972, parents perceived the "GP" rating as not indicative of a film's true content. In 1971, the MPAA added content advisories such as: Contains material not generally suitable for pre-teenagers. In February 1972 the MPAA replaced the GP rating with the new PG rating.[9]

Rated PG: Parental Guidance Suggested — Some Material May Not be Suitable for Pre-Teenagers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Liar posted:

Agreed. I don't know what else they could really do with the poster in terms of originality... Probably because I haven't read the book and have no goddamn clue what the movie is about beyond teenagers killing each other for other's entertainment. I guess it could be a poster of one child stabbing another in the face while someone watches it on TV with their kids, but I doubt that'd be acceptable in terms of a poster being marketed to kids. Blandness doesn't equal awfulness.
If it helps I watched the trailer a month or so ago in the theater and it looks just as bland.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I wonder if Bill Oberst, JR. plays the horse or the dog.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mister Chief posted:

Man that's just pandering.

"What do little girls like?"
"Princesses? Ponies?"
"Hmm..."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cacator posted:

Man that's just pandering.

"What do little girls like?"
"Princesses? Ponies?"
"Hmm..."

"Also a dog."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

penismightier posted:

"Also a dog."

Puppy.

Because alliteration.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love this cover for the the DVD rerelease of Groundhog Day. You remember that film, the one that stars Phil Murray, Bill Murray's similar but not exactly the same looking unknown brother.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I love this cover for the the DVD rerelease of Groundhog Day. You remember that film, the one that stars Phil Murray, Bill Murray's similar but not exactly the same looking unknown brother.

Bill Murray is composed of no less than 5 distinct people on that poster.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I never noticed Bill Murray's wonky eyes on that until just now.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Puppy.

Because alliteration.

"Johnson, do you know just how much revenue we lost because you didn't put 'Puppy' in the title?!"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Original poster:

Criterion release:

Both pretty good, but the Criterion release looks much prettier on a t-shirt.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Cacator posted:

"Johnson, do you know just how much revenue we lost because you didn't put 'Puppy' in the title?!"

"About $20?"

"EXACTLY! That was half of the films budget!"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
IMP Awards has some updates today, most of the posters are just bland, but the layout of this one slayed me.

I absolutely love the woman caught in Elvis' coat with the deer-in-headlights look. It's like they had a decent poster with just the guy in the Elvis costume but went,

:v: No, needs the lead actress in it. Now put still 16A of him back-to-the-camera walking on the beach with his kid to the right of the title.

:geno: Should I do a new layout, or-

:v: No time! Just drop them on that still of the actor in the Elvis costume, it'll look great!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It looks like he wants to deep throat that microphone.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Here is a good poster for a film about kids killing each other.

I don't know why you used the Chinese poster, but it sums up the point well, with Kitano in the center of everything and the student marked out and "41 to go" above them. I believe the original Japanese poster did that, but I couldn't find one, just re-releases.

BTW, the Anchor Bay Blu-Ray that's coming out has this cover...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I don't know why you used the Chinese poster, but it sums up the point well, with Kitano in the center of everything and the student marked out and "41 to go" above them. I believe the original Japanese poster did that, but I couldn't find one, just re-releases.

Is that not the Japanese poster? I would have thought the film would be banned in China.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Is that not the Japanese poster? I would have thought the film would be banned in China.

It's a common mistake, as Japanese uses a lot of Chinese characters in their Kanji alphabet. However, the Japanese used the Katakana alphabet for the title work for Battle Royale, which they tend to use for foreign words and abbreviations and the like, so that's how I knew it was Chinese.

This is the closest I've found to the Japanese poster and it's really for the VHS and DVD release.

\/\/\/ That's my guess as well, although I'd say more likely HK.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

It could be from Hong Kong or Taiwan. Also the languages are different.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Mister Chief posted:

This poster looks to me like someone literally broke open a pony like a Christmas cracker and there was a girl inside.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I know some people have soured on minimalist posters, but here are these. They came up in the Office Space fan page feed on Facebook.

They'll both look nice on the wall, at least.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Vagabundo posted:

I like this one because even before I scrolled down enough to see the title I knew exactly what movie it was. I didn't realize that shirt/suspenders/tie combo was so iconic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ez posted:

I like this one because even before I scrolled down enough to see the title I knew exactly what movie it was. I didn't realize that shirt/suspenders/tie combo was so iconic.

True, but I think even there, there's a missed opportunity there to do something thematic with the poster. It bucks the obnoxious trend of just picking one non-representative image from the film and making a poster out of it, though. You may be able to pick up something to do with the "square" corporate atmosphere from the presence of the suspenders, or perhaps the claustrophobic framing, so at least it works on some level beyond most.

However, it's much more iconic for someone who has seen the film, overall most of what it tells outsiders is essentially "this movie takes place in an office where people wear ties" - which you essentially already get from the title. Something that simply and cleverly conveys the idea of being stuck in a corporate hell would be much more appropriate and interesting. Or being a faceless cog in a machine, or having an oppressive amount of red tape between you and any decision, etc.

It seems like these aren't things that 99% of those designers think of when making these.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 24, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

I know some people have soured on minimalist posters, but here are these. They came up in the Office Space fan page feed on Facebook.

Why would this not be a stapler?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Really late to the party but the OP is freaking awesome, best I've seen in a long time.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

feedmyleg posted:

However, it's much more iconic for someone who has seen the film, overall most of what it tells outsiders is essentially "this movie takes place in an office where people wear ties" - which you essentially already get from the title. Something that simply and cleverly conveys the idea of being stuck in a corporate hell would be much more appropriate and interesting. Or being a faceless cog in a machine, or having an oppressive amount of red tape between you and any decision, etc.

It seems like these aren't things that 99% of those designers think of when making these.

For a theatrical poster yeah, but this is specifically made for fans of the movie.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Ez posted:

For a theatrical poster yeah, but this is specifically made for fans of the movie.

And who says it can't be both?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

And who says it can't be both?

Because movies don't really have fans yet when they're still in the stage where they would have theatrical posters, maybe? Unless it was for a rerelease or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

Because movies don't really have fans yet when they're still in the stage where they would have theatrical posters, maybe? Unless it was for a rerelease or something.

Movies with built in fanbases (ie every superhero movie) as well as stuff like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where there was an existing fanbase before the (new) movies were released.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

Movies with built in fanbases (ie every superhero movie) as well as stuff like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where there was an existing fanbase before the (new) movies were released.

Anyone who was a fan of any of those before they released was stupid. Sure, you might get something awesome like LOTR, but for every LOTR there's something that turns out like Batman & Robin. Being a fan of the franchise the movie is based on is fine, but being a fan of the movie itself before it releases is a dumb thing to do.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh Snakes on a Plane, you've taught us all a valuable lesson.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyone who was a fan of any of those before they released was stupid. Sure, you might get something awesome like LOTR, but for every LOTR there's something that turns out like Batman & Robin. Being a fan of the franchise the movie is based on is fine, but being a fan of the movie itself before it releases is a dumb thing to do.

True enough but studios depend on fanbases, and it helps get stuff made. A studio is more likely to produce a movie they know people would be eager to see than something new/different. Sometimes it backfires (Batman and Robin, Green Lantern etc) but they still know that there are comic book fans out there that will see movies with the characters no matter how bad the film is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

feedmyleg posted:

True, but I think even there, there's a missed opportunity there to do something thematic with the poster. It bucks the obnoxious trend of just picking one non-representative image from the film and making a poster out of it, though. You may be able to pick up something to do with the "square" corporate atmosphere from the presence of the suspenders, or perhaps the claustrophobic framing, so at least it works on some level beyond most.

This sums it up really well, a good minimalist poster should also tell you something about the film. Also, those Polish covers for the Chaplin DVDs looked like a Best of Hitler box set.