Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Farbtoner posted:

And then they cast a Mexican to play the white guy :woop:

Yeah, now it's about a down-on-his-luck senior Mexican who protects an old black guy from skinheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cacator posted:

So is The Hunter a brooding psychological thriller, or an inspirational family film?

Well... it actually is kind of both. poo poo, maybe that lovely poster is doing something right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

And from what I remember of the trailer, the black guy is played by a white guy.

The nonchalant hipster girl looks exactly the same, though.

Is she credited as "Amber Lamps"?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Robert Denby posted:

Last year, the Samuel Goldwyn Company gave you two of the most bizarre and unintentionally hillarious posters to ever grace theaters.

Face: rough, weathered, basically the surface of mars

Arms: Smooth as a babies rear end

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

davidspackage posted:

Danny Trejo has his torso put on backwards.

Danna Trejo dresses like a 45-year old woman on a day trip to the farmers market.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's like rejected artwork for a potential Trejo character in Saint's Row.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Robert Denby posted:

This year… they're going to do it… again!

Did they hire Robert Zemeckis to do that poster? Tejo's face looks like something out of Nightmare Central The Polar Express.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they've airbrushed all his tattoos off, I guess. I don't know why that's easier than giving him a sleeved shirt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

dolphins are gay posted:

they've airbrushed all his tattoos off, I guess. I don't know why that's easier than giving him a sleeved shirt.

They just picked this still and reconstructed him in photoshop. Nothing below the neck is him.

A clean shirt isn't Bad rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

Takes a real badass to clean off blood stains and keep the shirt's color nice and vibrant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Danny Trejo could wear a friendship is magic shirt and make it look Bad rear end.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

You know, everyone mocks this poster but I think it's actually pretty good. Everyone's getting blinded by the shittiness of a Dwayne Johnson-knock off Hulk Hogan Triple H vehicle (there's some irony there). I know the two people up top are photoshopped in, but only because it's been discussed enough that on-set photoshoots aren't a thing. Actually examining it closer I'm pretty sure they've just been hit by a shrink ray, but still, leagues ahead of most of the photoshops for much more normal poses. It doesn't really make much sense that H is standing smugly in front of a moving bus or why Professorson is grimly accepting his head will shortly smash into the tarmac but at least behind Hthey all look like they're actually within the same space. I could be wrong but even the lighting looks like it's even across the shot. And though they don't tell me anything useful, I quite like the dollar bills, windshield crack, and bandage for at least being visually interesting details? It reminds me of David Dees http://www.sl-webs.com/deesillustration/artwork.asp?item=526&cat=satire in a weird way, that strange mix of hyper-realism and cartoons (and ideologically abhorrent).

I mean fair enough Hogan Triple H is staring at us like, "If you want those 3 bucks for shoving a plug up my rear end, fine, just take them from me!" but whoever designed this was working with the lowest of the low and at least put more effort into that than quite a few blockbuster posters.

Tegan and Sankara fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 10, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The poster must be pretty loving bad if it made you mistake Triple H for Hulk Hogan.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Teenage Fansub posted:

They just picked this still and reconstructed him in photoshop. Nothing below the neck is him.

:( They removed his tattoos. Why? Is it a "Think of the children/my fragile mind!! :byodame::byodood:" situation? Just like with guns?

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

The poster must be pretty loving bad if it made you mistake Triple H for Hulk Hogan.

Oh right, whoops. Not into wrestling. I thought I saw someone say it was Hogan and I just assumed he shaved off his goatee at some point. Actually I'm pretty at one point in time I thought Triple H and Hulk Hogan were the same person, like Hogan "retired" and came back...aichier? Yeah, I know gently caress all about wrestlers.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
This is still that poster's FedEx-arrow:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, once you see that you realize the face and neck of the shirt are from a very different picture than the lower body and arms and it becomes VERY obvious.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Triple H isn't even in that poster, that's clearly a promotional cardboard cutout of him.

Well, two of them, I guess, looking at the shirt.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm just gonna assume that Gina Gershon is under that Burqua.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I can't help but read that title as "New York Minaret," and now I think that this super serious (presumably) action/drama (?) is a comedy based on Muslims in New York, like that Olson twins movie. I also get the feeling that that premise would somehow be less groanworthy than whatever this is.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

LOOK AT HIS TINY ARM.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

BROS SUN PRAISER posted:

LOOK AT HIS TINY ARM.

In all fairness, he is also a tiny man.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Triumphant posted:

In all fairness, he is also a tiny man.

Extend the bat-holding arm down in your brain.

I know he's like 5'5" or something, but your arm shouldn't be as long as your torso.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This would have worked better as "A New York Minaret".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The discussion, no. The actual reasoning, I'd say 'pretty much'.

It isn't, but I was wondering that myself. I guess it's a last minute fail safe; they'd scrubbed any and all references to the Asian girl but welp, audiences, don't be surprised if there are Asian people in this movie.

I mean he even had Asian symbols on his gun. How on the nose do you want us to make it? v :v: v

I just saw the UK version of the Safe poster tonight. Not only has it scrubbed any and all references to the Asian girl, but evidently they've taken your criticism to heart and removed the pictograms from the gun as well. It now contains nothing but Statham pointing a gun at the fourth wall.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

I just saw the UK version of the Safe poster tonight. Not only has it scrubbed any and all references to the Asian girl, but evidently they've taken your criticism to heart and removed the pictograms from the gun as well. It now contains nothing but Statham pointing a gun at the fourth wall.

Statham + Gun is enough to reel in the audience, I guess. Wouldn't want to do anything to potentially alienate anyone (or hint at plot).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Robert Patrick As The Villains From Star Trek: Insurrection

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Tegan and Sankara posted:

Oh right, whoops. Not into wrestling. I thought I saw someone say it was Hogan and I just assumed he shaved off his goatee at some point. Actually I'm pretty at one point in time I thought Triple H and Hulk Hogan were the same person, like Hogan "retired" and came back...aichier? Yeah, I know gently caress all about wrestlers.
Well clearly Hulk Hogan is only Double-H. He does not have enough H's to be Triple-H. Duh.

I could've sworn there was some sort of Hulkamania-themed smiley on SA. But now I can't find it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

FuSchnick posted:

Well clearly Hulk Hogan is only Double-H. He does not have enough H's to be Triple-H. Duh.

I could've sworn there was some sort of Hulkamania-themed smiley on SA. But now I can't find it.

There's :fella:, but that's more lime-themed than hulkamania.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

When I saw the title I thought it was something to do with the Ground Zero mosque controversy and wondered why the tagline was so... strongly-worded. It turned out it's a Turkish action film :psyduck:

quote:

The film follows two anti-terror officers from Istanbul, sent to New York to find and bring back a Turkish religious leader, codenamed Dajjal, who was arrested in the United States and who will be delivered to Turkish authorities by the FBI. The film emphasizes the rise of Islamophobia in Turkey and the United States after September 11 attacks, seeking to answer the question of whether innocence or guilt even matters to one who lusts for vengeance.

The three names in the posters are not even the main actors.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Putting Gina Gershon in a Burqua ought to be a hanging offense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Statham + Gun is enough to reel in the audience, I guess. Wouldn't want to do anything to potentially alienate anyone (or hint at plot).

Still better than the trailer for Cabin in the Woods. "You think you know the story" ... well, yes, I do, since your trailer gives away the big twist in the movie, you loving morons. I hate it when they do that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

I just saw the UK version of the Safe poster tonight. Not only has it scrubbed any and all references to the Asian girl, but evidently they've taken your criticism to heart and removed the pictograms from the gun as well.
Not all Chinese/Japanese characters are pictograms. In fact, very few are. They're usually not ideograms either. "Characters" or "logograms" are more accurate.
:goonsay:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jedit posted:

Still better than the trailer for Cabin in the Woods. "You think you know the story" ... well, yes, I do, since your trailer gives away the big twist in the movie, you loving morons. I hate it when they do that.

From what I've heard, nothing in those trailers is from after the first ~40 minutes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

It doesn't. I love it when they do that.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Jesus christ, did someone find the portrait of Robert Patrick that was kept in his attic? Dude looks old all of a sudden. I thought it was a badly photoshopped John Hurt for a second there (John Hurt is the oldest man in the universe).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jedit posted:

It's almost like you think that you know the story of the movie.

I'm actually pretty psyched for Cabin, it's been getting great advanced word and I liked Cloverfield so :toot:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jedit posted:

hahaha no. No it does not

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interesting story I came across on the internet today.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-11/frankensteins-fraudster-sentenced-to-6-dot-5-years-in-prison

quote:

Kerry Haggard is being called the “Bernie Madoff of the movie-poster industry.” The 47-year-old con man paid an unnamed New York City printing company to make high-quality ink-jet copies of vintage monster-movie posters to sell online, and traded the fake one-sheets with friends and fellow collectors for authentic ones, reported the New York Post.

On April 9, in Manhattan federal court, the Commerce (Ga.) resident was sentenced to the maximum 6.5 years in prison and ordered to pay $1.38 million to his victims.

His counterfeit lobby cards and posters included The Mummy, Frankenstein, The Mummy’s Hand, Murders in the Rue Morgue, and Werewolf of London, which were airbrushed and otherwise altered to appear authentic. Using sites like EBay (EBAY), Haggard sold posters for $500 (for a Mummy’s Tomb lobby card, for example) to $5,000 (for Son of Frankenstein) to about 25 victims.

Does anybody collect old movie posters like this? Have you been burned by any fakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

BROS SUN PRAISER posted:

LOOK AT HIS TINY ARM.

I wonder where he got that glowing leather fanny pack from?