Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

The older I get the more I think TMP is the best Trek movie.

I agree it's the best one that encapsulates the ethos of the show, but 4 is basically a fun two-hour episode, since plenty were just the crew stuck in a weird primitive society. Also the joke of Scotty using the mouse just slays me. I like all 6 of the first movies, to some extent.

Since this is a poster thread, here are the rest of those posters:

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
please help, our heads keep going into hyperspace

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

It absolutely kills me that the dramatic improvements of the director's cut never made it to blu-ray.

Does the director's cut pick up the pace a bit? I mean, I know it's from a different time, but I have a hard time keeping interested for the first half of the film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

effectual posted:

I agree it's the best one that encapsulates the ethos of the show, but 4 is basically a fun two-hour episode, since plenty were just the crew stuck in a weird primitive society.

The problem with ST:TMP is that it is also a two hour episode of the show - with a single episode's worth of plot. Robert Wise was a great director, but when unkind reviewers referred to it as Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture they weren't wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jedit posted:

The problem with ST:TMP is that it is also a two hour episode of the show - with a single episode's worth of plot. Robert Wise was a great director, but when unkind reviewers referred to it as Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture they weren't wrong.

The sheer volume of filler really brings it down, and it does feel like it takes about 3 months before anything interesting or even actually plot-related happens. Like, the 2 Vulcans getting hosed up by the transporter malfunction is a memorable scene, but what's the points of it? Hell, does the movie actually lose anything if that got cut out? I doubt it. You can basically go out and get lunch and come back and hour later with that movie playing and not really miss anything essential to the plot.

I mean, say what you will about the new Star Trek movies, but at least they get going in a more timely manner.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

3 nice posters and 1 stinker is still pretty good for a tv show:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

The sheer volume of filler really brings it down, and it does feel like it takes about 3 months before anything interesting or even actually plot-related happens. Like, the 2 Vulcans getting hosed up by the transporter malfunction is a memorable scene, but what's the points of it? Hell, does the movie actually lose anything if that got cut out? I doubt it. You can basically go out and get lunch and come back and hour later with that movie playing and not really miss anything essential to the plot.

I mean, say what you will about the new Star Trek movies, but at least they get going in a more timely manner.

Did you ever watch the director's cut? It's about five minutes longer than theatrical but it actually added something like 20 minutes of content, they just also tightened up every scene slightly. It vastly improves the pacing.

It also fixes the colour balance and royally fucks the sound.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, is Dead of Summer another zombie show or something?

MikeJF posted:

Did you ever watch the director's cut? It's about five minutes longer than theatrical but it actually added something like 20 minutes of content, they just also tightened up every scene slightly. It vastly improves the pacing.

It also fixes the colour balance and royally fucks the sound.

It's still an issue with the director's cut though. With the theatrical cut, it takes about what feels like 3 years before anything interesting happens. That overture at the start is totally gratuitous as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

That overture at the start is totally gratuitous as well.

It is, but it's also really drat nice music. TMP's just a movie that isn't afraid to take its sweet time when it has something to show off.

I dunno. It's kinda like Blade Runner; you've gotta get yourself in the mood for a slow journey first, turn up the bass, and relax.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpek posted:

3 nice posters and 1 stinker is still pretty good for a tv show:

noooooooo :gonk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

It is, but it's also really drat nice music. TMP's just a movie that isn't afraid to take its sweet time when it has something to show off.

I dunno. It's kinda like Blade Runner; you've gotta get yourself in the mood for a slow journey first, turn up the bass, and relax.

I lot of older movies aren't as ADHD when it comes to setting the scene. I love Taxi Driver with a passion, but there are several scenes where the camera just sits there for minutes at a time while nothing really goes on.

Modern movies and TV go from action to action to action so it can be incredibly jarring to watching something from a time where people weren't so rushed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

So, is Dead of Summer another zombie show or something?

I would think so, but the hornet poster doesn't seem to fit the 'dead bodies/zombies' theme so I'm hoping the horror aspect is something much more complicated.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I would think so, but the hornet poster doesn't seem to fit the 'dead bodies/zombies' theme so I'm hoping the horror aspect is something much more complicated.

Maybe it's a summer camp massacre story that goes on all season.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I was right...

quote:

It's the 1980s, school is out for the summer, and when Camp Clearwater's dark, ancient mythology awakens, what was supposed to be a summer of fun soon turns into one of unforgettable scares and evil at every turn.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 24, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's one more:

gokus_legs.jpg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gary Busey's legs from Predator 2.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Good posters but the inclusion of Lost and Once Upon a Time doesn't fill me with confidence though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Vintage and Steampunk on the same poster :monocle:

Just put clocks and gears everywhere, glue them to the hand, whatever. :effort:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Palpek posted:

It's a documentary about steam punk dorks, so... it's perfect in that sense. It's all gears and clocks all the way down.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Palpek posted:

Vintage and Steampunk on the same poster :monocle:

I really hate how steampunk started off being about mechanisms used in approximations of modern tech and how it was all analog and pragmatic and practical but it just slowly turned into "glue cogs onto poo poo and wear goggles"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gorilla Salad posted:

I lot of older movies aren't as ADHD when it comes to setting the scene. I love Taxi Driver with a passion, but there are several scenes where the camera just sits there for minutes at a time while nothing really goes on.

Modern movies and TV go from action to action to action so it can be incredibly jarring to watching something from a time where people weren't so rushed.

Even with that though the new Star Trek movies are extremely fast paced.

Even TFA suffers from this, or it might've been a side effect of mandating Star Wars had to be 2 hours long or whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shoehead posted:

I really hate how steampunk started off being about mechanisms used in approximations of modern tech and how it was all analog and pragmatic and practical but it just slowly turned into "glue cogs onto poo poo and wear goggles"

"I really liked the Rocketteer..."

FFWD x-years

:regd08:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vintersorg posted:

"I really liked the Rocketteer..."

FFWD x-years

:regd08:

That's diesel punk!
:goonsay:

But yeah all retrofuturism is cool right up until saturation point and then gets really really tired

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The first experience I had with steampunk was, I think, The Difference Engine by William Gibson way back in 1990. The premise was cool as hell, but good lord, did that book just fall apart in the final third and end up a piece of poo poo.

But I was fascinated by the idea for quite a while until overweight nerds in top hats with gears glued to them finally killed it for me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Palpek posted:

There's one more:

gokus_legs.jpg

It's a major award

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gorilla Salad posted:

The first experience I had with steampunk was, I think, The Difference Engine by William Gibson way back in 1990. The premise was cool as hell, but good lord, did that book just fall apart in the final third and end up a piece of poo poo.

But I was fascinated by the idea for quite a while until overweight nerds in top hats with gears glued to them finally killed it for me.

That's literally the book where the term steampunk comes from.

computer parts posted:

Even with that though the new Star Trek movies are extremely fast paced.

Even TFA suffers from this, or it might've been a side effect of mandating Star Wars had to be 2 hours long or whatever.

You're forgetting how many of those movies are just boring as hell because they have literally nothing happening for long long stretches.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Teflon Don posted:

It's a major award

Hahaha

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Why did they feel it necessary to put Kirk on a motorbike? It seems really out of place.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A motorbike from the 20th century no less.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

A friend in junior high had a really stupid dog that once ate a box of crayons and left streaky scoot marks all over his yard in this exact colour pattern.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

2 Kirks, 0 Sulu, 0 Chekov

That Kirk on the bike ruins the poster. They didn't have any good pictures of Sulu and Chekov or something?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I had no idea that Star Trek was crossing over with the Hellboy movies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: hahahaha

kiimo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 25, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kirk on the bike is the new Professor X.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The bike is not nearly as silly as Prof's Minimalist Ikea Flying Chair. I'm guessing he either found it among the junk on a planet he's on, or it's an antique he brought with him on the Enterprise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chimp on the right high af

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The bike is not nearly as silly as Prof's Minimalist Ikea Flying Chair. I'm guessing he either found it among the junk on a planet he's on, or it's an antique he brought with him on the Enterprise.

Yes, we extremely need a grimdark Tarzan? :confused:

And is Kiimo's post not showing up for anyone else?

Edit: copy/paste into new tabs and I got the images just fine. Nevermind!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wedemeyer posted:

Yeah, kiimo is using an image host that doesn't support HTTPS, so if you browse the forums using that protocol you won't see those images. That's why everyone should use imgur, which supports it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wedemeyer posted:

Yes, we extremely need a grimdark Tarzan? :confused:

Some image embeds get hidden when you're using https.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guys, you could've saved a lot of money by just leaving out the CG and just showing Alexander Saarsgard prancing around nearly naked for an hour. All good with me.