Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Groovelord Neato posted:

that'd be a cool concept - take diet pills but they don't cause you to lose weight they just grow a fit as hell doppelganger that aliens it's way out of you and takes over your life.

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neil Gaiman once wrote a story about a man whose genital is sentient and slowly takes over his body and eventually mind.

And from that we segue into more posters:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

If he's playing Baby Golf, he's going to need to step back a little and adopt a narrower stance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Neil Gaiman once wrote a story about a man whose genital is sentient and slowly takes over his body and eventually mind.

Not relevant to the thread but that sounds like a variation of the bit in Naked Lunch about the guy with the talking rear end in a top hat.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if it's the same Gaiman story we are thinking of the guy was an adult virgin who only masturbates, his dick (presumably) gets sentient and takes over, ultimately turning him into a nicer and more confident person and he even gets a date with the std clinic nurse. ultimately everyone wins

e: except for the original version of the adult virgin who got absorbed by the dick, gently caress him

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Gaiman story specifically mentions Capgras Delusion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion) so it's probably not about body organs taking over the person.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
This feels like it belongs on a VHS box cover from 1987

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

The episode of Eagleheart where Bret Gelman gets a bezoar that becomes an evil, fully-formed clone that tries to kill him and create more bezoars by tricking people into eating poker chips and hair.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Co-Creator of TCM? :raise:

Good poster at least. That skull is cool as gently caress with them old school 3D glasses.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ruddiger posted:

Co-Creator of TCM? :raise:

I had to really dig through imdb to find that one of the many producers of Found Footage 3D was the writer of the screenplay for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

That feels pretty... desperate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The episode of Eagleheart where Bret Gelman gets a bezoar that becomes an evil, fully-formed clone that tries to kill him and create more bezoars by tricking people into eating poker chips and hair.

Truly a bezoar plot.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How many other movies star two guys named Benedict?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Truly a bezoar plot.

Remember Inception? Marvel is hoping that you don't.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, although the city-folding thing is kinda neat, it's odd in context as a representation of the ancient and arcane.

Like, these monks know the secrets of bizarre dimensions and alternate realities, yet apparently 90% of their efforts are spent on modern urban design.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine the filmmakers didn't initially realise marketing would focus so hard on it when they made the film, and now what was going to be amazing will be old hat by the time it actually happens.

Movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeJF posted:

I imagine the filmmakers didn't initially realise marketing would focus so hard on it when they made the film, and now what was going to be amazing will be old hat by the time it actually happens.

Movies.

The second Inception trailer was released in May 2010. The writers were hired for the Doctor Strange script in June 2010. Not only is there is no possible way the filmmakers didn't realise people were going to think of Inception when they made the movie, it's entirely likely that they were inspired by it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I meant the Dr Strange creators and the Dr Strange marketers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NoneMoreNegative posted:

HGL was also an uncredited co-director on Monster A Go-Go, possibly one of the worst sci-fi films* ever made.

*hell, you can probably drop the sci-fi bit from that statement.

Of all the movies MST3K riffed, Manos is definitely most famous for being the worst, but Monster A Go-Go, is, to my mind, the worst movie ever made. At least stuff happens in Manos.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't wait hours in between composition and posting.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 28, 2016

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Rochallor posted:

Of all the movies MST3K riffed, Manos is definitely most famous for being the worst, but Monster A Go-Go, is, to my mind, the worst movie ever made. At least stuff happens in Manos.

Perfectly acceptable, as it seems to take hours between plot points in Monster A Go-Go.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Honestly, although the city-folding thing is kinda neat, it's odd in context as a representation of the ancient and arcane.

Like, these monks know the secrets of bizarre dimensions and alternate realities, yet apparently 90% of their efforts are spent on modern urban design.

There was an interview with the director where they said that to avoid ruffling feathers with China they completely excised the Tibet stuff from Dr. Strange's backstory, which is why Tilda Swinton is mentoring him instead of an actual Asian person. I wonder if the urban focus might be an extension of that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Remember Inception? Marvel is hoping that you don't.

In fairness, Inception used city folding to illustrate a point, not to create a space for the characters to navigate. If they're going to steal, at least they're doing something new with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

There was an interview with the director where they said that to avoid ruffling feathers with China they completely excised the Tibet stuff from Dr. Strange's backstory

Well now it irritates me.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Perfectly acceptable, as it seems to take hours between plot points in Monster A Go-Go.

Now I go and edit my original post to something unrelated.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sir Kodiak posted:

In fairness, Inception used city folding to illustrate a point, not to create a space for the characters to navigate. If they're going to steal, at least they're doing something new with it.

Yeah, Inception had all of its weird and crazy imagery happen during talky head exposition scenes. The actual action is sub-par Bond poo poo except for the hallway scene.

At least Strange is having it's action and characters meaningfully interact with the weird imagery.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Now I go and edit my original post to something unrelated.

Once again, just like the movie!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

There was an interview with the director where they said that to avoid ruffling feathers with China they completely excised the Tibet stuff from Dr. Strange's backstory, which is why Tilda Swinton is mentoring him instead of an actual Asian person. I wonder if the urban focus might be an extension of that.

It seems like the only thing they really did was take out the word Tibet though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

It seems like the only thing they really did was take out the word Tibet though.

And change a major character from Tibetan to extremely white

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

And change a major character from Tibetan to extremely white

Well they were gonna do that anyway. /gitm

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rochallor posted:

I think Joel even admitted that Monster A Go-Go was the worst movie they ever did. They even cracked about it during one of the host segments of Manos: "we made it through Monster A Go-Go, we can make it through this."

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Poster Six-Pack: "Hey, I Wonder What's in my OTHER Poster File?" Edition

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Red_Museum posted:

I think that's what they are going for, tbf. It stands out too which is easier said than done in this day and age proving that perhaps simplicity is key again when it comes to film posters.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Poster Six-Pack: "Hey, I Wonder What's in my OTHER Poster File?" Edition

When the ripper slashes, not to be confused for when the slasher rips.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Let's see what is new in the postering realms.

And let's not forget that it's Halloween.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The MSJ posted:

Let's see what is new in the postering realms.

That looks hilarious!

(huh?)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

And let's not forget that it's Halloween.

That escalated quickly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

How many of these loving Fantastic Beasts posters are we ganna get that don't feature a single god drat fantastic beast

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

How many of these loving Fantastic Beasts posters are we ganna get that don't feature a single god drat fantastic beast

Unless... man is the beast the whole time! :aaaaa:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
First official poster for Dead Men Tell No Tales, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Kraps posted:

First official poster for Dead Men Tell No Tales, I guess

The Dread Pirate, Dustin Rhodes.