Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Canned Panda posted:

One night a year, all crime is legal

Had to look up the trailer after staring at that poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFmi1E3s3w

This looks... good? I really can't tell. Ethan Hawke might be making me think it could be good. I always have to give credit when the horror genre finds a way to tell an original story. We're not dealing with a psycho. A murderer. A ghost. Something haunted. A spell. It's just group of ordinary people who want to kill. When put like that... that's pretty loving scary. The whole trailer just seems like a better version of The Hunger Games so maybe it's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It really should be called Mischief Night.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really should be called Mischief Night.

There was a movie with that title released last year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I figure someone had to have beat them to it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CaptainHollywood posted:

This looks... good? I really can't tell. Ethan Hawke might be making me think it could be good. I always have to give credit when the horror genre finds a way to tell an original story. We're not dealing with a psycho. A murderer. A ghost. Something haunted. A spell. It's just group of ordinary people who want to kill. When put like that... that's pretty loving scary. The whole trailer just seems like a better version of The Hunger Games so maybe it's that too.

I think it looks pretty good and suspensful. Kind of gives off a Funny Games or The Strangers vibe, but I like the plot enough. For some reason I also get a Battle Royal vibe (ie the government is quite happy to let it's citizens kill each other every now and again).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Because it's awesome. I've never seen the film but that image is instantly recognisable.

You've never seen The Company of Wolves? Fix that poo poo ASAP. It's exactly what you'd expect from an R-rated adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood by the director of The Crying Game.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

You've never seen The Company of Wolves? Fix that poo poo ASAP. It's exactly what you'd expect from an R-rated adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood by the director of The Crying Game.

I actually saw this tonight at a screening with the director present.

It's a crazy movie and totally worth seeking out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

That's a very... interesting premise for a movie. What's the deal with Ethan Hawke and horror movies though?

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Ken Taylor via Mondo:

First Blood

Silence of the Lambs

Beetlejuice

American Werewolf in London

Watchmen

Metropolis

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

DKWildz posted:

Ken Taylor via Mondo:

Silence of the Lambs

Hannibal Logan?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Amphigory posted:

Hannibal Logan?

That's actually the surface of a mirror. Hannibal Lecter got in coke for a while.

Is anyone else really sick of Mondo posters and everyone on the internet aping that style?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Something about the Comedian in that Watchmen poster is really bothering me (I mean, even more than usual Mondo stuff). Does his neck look kind of dainty or something?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jedit posted:

Will do.

Snoop Radley posted:

Something about the Comedian in that Watchmen poster is really bothering me (I mean, even more than usual Mondo stuff). Does his neck look kind of dainty or something?

Ozymandias looks like Ben Stiller.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

CPL593H posted:

That's actually the surface of a mirror. Hannibal Lecter got in coke for a while.

Is anyone else really sick of Mondo posters and everyone on the internet aping that style?

I am tired that the mondo style means everyone has to have moldy, molted skin with bizarre shadowing on them to the point that Rambo looks like a grandma bit into a fresh lemon and Lector looks like he tried to wash concealer off of his forehead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DKWildz posted:

Ken Taylor via Mondo:

Metropolis

I am not a Mondo devotee and think most of their stuff is lame, but this is lovely.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Whoever made the Battle Royale comparison is spot-on. The idea of creating a successful country through a public bloodbath is actually quite chilling. Should be interesting to see.

And speaking of Battle Royale:

And a bonus lovely Akira:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lance Streetman posted:

Whoever made the Battle Royale comparison is spot-on. The idea of creating a successful country through a public bloodbath is actually quite chilling. Should be interesting to see.

And speaking of Battle Royale:

Oh gently caress you, especially for that second one.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Been awhile since seeing it, but the younger students had dark uniforms and the older two were wearing white for that first poster, right?

That second one looks like a terrible 2001 poster than a terrible Battle Royale poster.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lance Streetman posted:

You can take out the words Akira and make a really awful Three Stooges poster out of this.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I've seen Battle Royale several times and I genuinely have no idea what either of those are supposed to be.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

penismightier posted:

I've seen Battle Royale several times and I genuinely have no idea what either of those are supposed to be.

I think the second one is the bomb collar. Dumb as gently caress though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Madkal posted:

I think the second one is the bomb collar. Dumb as gently caress though.

Yup. You can see it in the official poster for the film.

Anyways, here's an actually good Akira fan poster:

And a great one of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lance Streetman posted:

Yup. You can see it in the official poster for the film.

Is there a strap holding that gun up...cause....er.....

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

DKWildz posted:

Ken Taylor via Mondo:
American Werewolf in London

Crikey, that fellas tiny.. a bleedin homunculus..

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Crikey, that fellas tiny.. a bleedin homunculus..

Something's weird about the scale in the whole thing, actually. If that were a real photo taken from that angle and distance, that'd be a little Hobbiton subway for hobbits, complete with a dead hobbit.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
I like the use of the NY subway sign style logo as a juxtaposition but it looks like the artist hit posterize on a bunch of stock photos and called it a day.

Seems Mondo's business model is at the stage where employing a few good artists/designers from time to time can save the rest from being called out as a bunch of traced duotone shite.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lance Streetman posted:

I love how they've stripped the tagline to simply read "E.X.P.L.O.D.E." What would that even stand for?

Every. Xylophone. Player. Loves. Orthodontic. Dental. Exams.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tewratomeh posted:

Every. Xylophone. Player. Loves. Orthodontic. Dental. Exams.

I'd see this movie.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wow.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yeah right, like anyone judges comedies by their posters.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hmmm. I'm not sure, but I think that's been photoshopped.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm less likely to hate that because its not out in 2012 to cash in on the Mayan crap.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

effectual posted:

I'm less likely to hate that because its not out in 2012 to cash in on the Mayan crap.

Everyone is in POST-Mayan crap now. We have TWO ADDITIONAL movies about the end of the world coming out this year. I'm a bit disappointed at that poster because the actual trailers indicate a better movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fayez Butts posted:

Hmmm. I'm not sure, but I think that's been photoshopped.

It also appears that Jonah Hill may have a severe neck injury.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's so weird... It looks like it was a group shot, but it also looks like a horribly botched photoshop job.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Actually it looks fine, it's just really boring looking. The colors are all very flat and there's no interesting elements, plus the "chasm surrounding small platform" just doesn't work, visually, with real people.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I like movies and I like drawing. The other day I took a frame from Videodrome, lightboxed it, and had a grand old time going to town with a brush and pen to make a really fun image.

I thought, "I should do more of these. They're fun and good practice for my ink work."

And then people post more Mondo posters and I kind of never want to do it again.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why don't you post what you did?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DKWildz posted:

Metropolis

I'd buy this one in a heartbeat, if only it didn't cost more than my rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Renoistic posted:

I'd buy this one in a heartbeat, if only it didn't cost more than my rent.

You pay less than $50 for rent? drat dude, where are you living?

In all seriousness though the black-and-white one is going on sale for $50 tomorrow.