Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dillbag posted:

Awesome (loving retarded) video game derail, bros!

I have no idea what this movie is about, but I like to imagine it's about some Soviet super bad-rear end who builds railways with his fists for mother Russia.

At first glance I thought the train was giant communist robot and that that dude was standing on its chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know what that movie is about either, but I know I want to see it.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I don't think you're that far off, actually. As I understand it, it's going to be a dark comedy/thriller/action film set in post-war Siberia, with people exiled by Stalin trying to survive on a train they've commandeered, or something along those lines. The trailer's pretty cryptic, but what I've read about it makes it sound pretty interesting.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

What's the name of the movie in English? Because I don't know any Russian.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Desperado Bones posted:

What's the name of the movie in English? Because I don't know any Russian.

The Cyrillic is "Krai," but I don't know if that means anything or if it's a proper noun. The bit above the title just says "in theaters September 23"

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
It means "edge" or "border".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thank you!

That kinda explains the poster, and I love the slightly propagandist style.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Triumphant posted:

The Cyrillic is "Krai," but I don't know if that means anything or if it's a proper noun. The bit above the title just says "in theaters September 23"
Going by Wikipedia, it sounds like it basically means "the arse-end of nowhere". Or in other words, Siberia, as mentioned above.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It is a great poster.

Sadly, the summary on IMDb makes no mention of soviet supermen or atomic powered locomotives.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Red posted:

Well, I'm on Letterboxd.com, and it's awesome - but it's apparent I'd have to create such a wallpaper myself, unless... ?

Yeah I used my films list, and just cropped a bunch of screenshots together in paint.net. Like I said, I had time to kill :)

E: Oh, and I need more people to follow, so if you're on the site, add me (Same username as here).

victorious fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 19, 2012

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I was hoping it was the Russian version of Atlas Shrugged. I am kind of sad that it isn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

It is a great poster.

Sadly, the summary on IMDb makes no mention of soviet supermen or atomic powered locomotives.

I saw it and all I could think of was this:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The badly translated synopsis at imdb makes me want to see this even more than the poster does.

IMDB posted:

The action takes place shortly after the end of the Second World War in the Siberian hinterland, among Russians and Germans with damaged personal stories and a strange transformation: the victors seem to be crawling into the skins of the defeated, and vice versa. Ignat, is the embodiment of the larger-than-life image of the Soviet victorious warrior who, in fact, proves to be shell-shocked, sick and broken, although not completely destroyed. Trains become fetish for the heroes of the film, and speed becomes a mania; they virtually become one with their steam engines, while the machines take on human names. The heroes set up an almost fatal race in the Siberian forest, risking their own lives and those of others.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Wow, that sounds kinda good actually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy poo poo, that sounds so completely absurd that it becomes awesome in its own right.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
The Fast and the Furious: Siberian Drift.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

victorious posted:

Yeah I used my films list, and just cropped a bunch of screenshots together in paint.net. Like I said, I had time to kill :)

E: Oh, and I need more people to follow, so if you're on the site, add me (Same username as here).

Done! Once the site goes full-on, you should make a thread for the site.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

victorious posted:

I followed you and the people who are following you. Jonathan (whoever you are) - interesting "Worst films ever" list. I have only seen two of them (Thin Red Line and Kung Pow) and I like them both. :D

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

It was in the early teasers, actually.

Warning: watching that will remind you how awkward and clunky CGI was in 2001.
Top-rated comment:

quote:

if spider man was only real and couldve saved all those people inside the world trade center

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
But then why would Doctor Doom cry?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

But then why would Doctor Doom cry?

Because of RICHAAAAAAAAARDS!...?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Because of RICHAAAAAAAAARDS!...?

Richards cause him to raise his fist in the air. The Twin Towers being destroyed makes him cry

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Richards cause him to raise his fist in the air. The Twin Towers being destroyed makes him cry

What if Richards destroyed the Twin Towers? Possibly by launching it into space, just to add insult to injury?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

What if Richards destroyed the Twin Towers? Possibly by launching it into space, just to add insult to injury?

Cry first raise fist second, also on one knee

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It wouldn't really have mattered if Spider-Man saved people from the World Trade Center.

J. Jonah Jameson would still hate the guy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So there's this.

From IMDB:
“After losing his son to a tragic accident, Clayton Elie’s [Diamond Dallas Page] life was destroyed by alcohol abuse and violence that ended his marriage. When he moves to the small Midwestern town of Black River in an attempt to begin again, he finds himself at the center of a series of murders that echo a long dormant secret from the town’s past. After several sleepless nights that lead to a long night of heavy drinking and a subsequent blackout, Clayton awakens the next morning to find his neighbor and her small child brutally murdered and the murder weapon inside his apartment. When he is forced to hide the evidence by the untimely arrival of an FBI profiler, Clayton’s life rapidly deteriorates into a storm of violence, murder and small town intrigue. Is Clayton a cold-blooded killer, or the victim of a malevolent force that has descended upon the town of Black River?”

I don't....I don't know. It took me a little bit to realize Hulk Hogan is holding a gun and its not a shadow from off poster. Also, I'm still not 100% sure it is a gun and not a shadow from off poster.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Lobok posted:

It wouldn't really have mattered if Spider-Man saved people from the World Trade Center.

J. Jonah Jameson would still hate the guy.

Because he's black.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oldpainless posted:

From IMDB:
“After losing his son to a tragic accident, Clayton Elie’s [Diamond Dallas Page] life was destroyed by alcohol abuse and violence that ended his marriage. When he moves to the small Midwestern town of Black River in an attempt to begin again, he finds himself at the center of a series of murders that echo a long dormant secret from the town’s past. After several sleepless nights that lead to a long night of heavy drinking and a subsequent blackout, Clayton awakens the next morning to find his neighbor and her small child brutally murdered and the murder weapon inside his apartment. When he is forced to hide the evidence by the untimely arrival of an FBI profiler, Clayton’s life rapidly deteriorates into a storm of violence, murder and small town intrigue. Is Clayton a cold-blooded killer, or the victim of a malevolent force that has descended upon the town of Black River?”

I don't....I don't know. It took me a little bit to realize Hulk Hogan is holding a gun and its not a shadow from off poster. Also, I'm still not 100% sure it is a gun and not a shadow from off poster.

This sounds interesting but then you have Hulk Hogan and a guy named Diamond Dallas Page as the lead actors and there's probably a screenwriter somewhere who's really upset about this situation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

1stGear posted:

This sounds interesting but then you have Hulk Hogan and a guy named Diamond Dallas Page as the lead actors and there's probably a screenwriter somewhere who's really upset about this situation.

DDP is also a pro wrestler from the WCW days.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Red posted:

Done! Once the site goes full-on, you should make a thread for the site.

Thanks, yeah I was going to do one already but the creators don't want screenshots posted before the site comes out of beta. It's getting pretty popular though, I shouldn't think it'll be too long before it opens fully.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I think all of you are familiar with "Die Hard", and you probably know that Bruce Willis was on a sitcom called "Moonlighting" around the time that "Die Hard" came out in 1988.

Now imagine you're a marketing guy at Fox that same year. This trailer plays in theaters a few months before "Die Hard"'s coveted summer release date and it gets a lot of bad laughs, because suddenly the goofy guy from that sitcom is a wisecracking action hero.

The poster draws similar responses. Not only is it exacerbating the problem by prominently featuring Willis, it's also really, really dull. A cop, a skyline. That's it. How exciting.:

Time for some damage control. The movie is coming out soon. It cost a lot of goddamn money, and your marketing department needs to work overtime to make the public want to see this movie.

You've got a poster with less emphasis on the star, an indication that not only is this an action movie, it's a big action movie:

Better. Much better. But that's still not quite enough, so the marketing department decides to run one of the film's TV ads -an ad with no dialogue and a lot of fast cuts, explosions, and a promise that the movie will 'blow you through the back wall of the theater' (cribbed from a review "Aliens" got just two years ago)- as a trailer just weeks before the opening.

It worked! You've got the attention of the moviegoing public. But… they're still not crazy about Willis. So you run this visually-striking ad without Willis' name in newspapers for the first two weeks of release:

Additionally, you do a limited 70mm engagement of the film five days before it's release date to build up word-of-mouth. And guess what, it works!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

The badly translated synopsis at imdb makes me want to see this even more than the poster does.

This synopsis is probably mostly metaphor and analysis, but I want to believe that it's literally about transhumanist Russian supermen melding with their trains and battling against body-snatchers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Die Hard goodness

I wonder what people thought of the title "Die Hard" as well. It came out when I was a kid so I don't know a time when Die Hard didn't exist, but the title has always seemed ridiculous to me on its own. Like someone trying to do a parody of the most bad-rear end, 70/80s vigilante or cop flicks.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Even as a young 'un, I thought Die Hard was a silly title when I saw it at the library so I was surprised when it was loving awesome. I also thought an anthology action movie sounded really dumb. I was an idiot and the library had the '40 STORIES OF SHEER ADVENTURE!' cover.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lobok posted:

I wonder what people thought of the title "Die Hard" as well. It came out when I was a kid so I don't know a time when Die Hard didn't exist, but the title has always seemed ridiculous to me on its own. Like someone trying to do a parody of the most bad-rear end, 70/80s vigilante or cop flicks.

The phrase "Die Hard" existed long before the film came out. I think it dates back at least a couple hundred years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The phrase "Die Hard" existed long before the film came out. I think it dates back at least a couple hundred years.

I remember being entirely confused why they would name a film after a car battery.

When I first saw it I kept waiting for the battery part, I mean until it started to get awesome and I forgot about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's an old phrase (I know it more from "old habits...") but in the context it seems silly. It doesn't seem any different than the row upon row of cheesy action movies you'd see in a rental store, or any of a million of the potboiler novels in a book store.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lobok posted:

It's an old phrase (I know it more from "old habits...") but in the context it seems silly. It doesn't seem any different than the row upon row of cheesy action movies you'd see in a rental store, or any of a million of the potboiler novels in a book store.

Once something is popular (and good, mind), the stupidity of it's name no longer matters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's why I was wondering what people thought of the title before they knew the movie was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Lobok posted:

That's why I was wondering what people thought of the title before they knew the movie was good.
I don't recall anyone thinking it was a terrible name at the time. The phrase "die hard" was used enough that most people were familiar with it (and Sears advertised the hell out of it for their car batteries). But most people I knew were thinking "Bruce Willis, an action hero? You are talking about the guy from Moonlighting right?"

He was very typecast in the Dave-and-Maddie role. But Die Hard turned out to kick all kinds of rear end, and now people have a hard time thinking of Bruce Willis as anything but an action hero.

[Edit] I imagine far more people thought "Live Free or Die Hard" was a stupid name. And that was after it was an established franchise.