Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Out of 16 features I'd only call two of them awful. I'm there for you, Tim.

Charlie gets a pass for this flag scene, in case you were wondering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvo7Go-Vd4&t=4941s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In a lot of ways, many women are a poorly drawn Pam Grier.

:golfclap:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Charlie at least had amazing sets and some pretty good Danny Elfman musical numbers to back it up. And it still got the essence of the story right. Its main flaw was not having Gene Wilder.

But Alice was just a big greenscreen nightmare that turned a well-known, beloved, unique story into something indistinguishable from any other fantasy movie.

This new thing looks good though!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They took a chance in Charlie with Johnny Depp's bizarre Michael Jackson impression for his role as Willy Wonka, and it failed, hard. Just because Jack Sparrow worked doesn't mean that we should fully accept his artistic vision every single time.

Alice was atrocious. I'm shocked that they are making a sequel, because it seemed like it was on Netflix just a month after being out in theaters.

I'd contend that aside from Big Fish, the last good movie Tim Burton made was Sleepy Hollow.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Nihonniboku posted:

They took a chance in Charlie with Johnny Depp's bizarre Michael Jackson impression for his role as Willy Wonka, and it failed, hard. Just because Jack Sparrow worked doesn't mean that we should fully accept his artistic vision every single time.

Alice was atrocious. I'm shocked that they are making a sequel, because it seemed like it was on Netflix just a month after being out in theaters.

I'd contend that aside from Big Fish, the last good movie Tim Burton made was Sleepy Hollow.

Alice made over a billion.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Mars Attacks was the last good one :colbert:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Alice made over a billion.

I always forget that because it doesn't make any sense.

Alice is bad, but it also seems really un-Burtonlike. Does anyone know if it had major studio interference or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all acting like Frankenweenie wasn't dope.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I always forget that because it doesn't make any sense.

Alice is bad, but it also seems really un-Burtonlike. Does anyone know if it had major studio interference or something?

To be honest everything about Alice in Wonderland's success has always baffled the poo poo out of me. I straight-up do not get why that movie was so popular, Burton-y or no.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Teenage Fansub posted:

Y'all acting like Frankenweenie wasn't dope.

I liked it a lot - great set pieces, fun story and I can see it hitting the same spot that Nightmare did with young people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

To be honest everything about Alice in Wonderland's success has always baffled the poo poo out of me. I straight-up do not get why that movie was so popular, Burton-y or no.

I say it everything it's brought up. Japan. It, Frozen and Avatar are three of the most successful foreign films in Japan, ever. I think Titanic's still way up there, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I say it everything it's brought up. Japan. It, Frozen and Avatar are three of the most successful foreign films in Japan, ever. I think Titanic's still way up there, too.

Japan didn't give Alice in Wonderland $330 million domestic gross.

The smash hit success of that film just confuses me, too. When it was new I didn't hear anyone interested in it or anyone saying a nice thing about it, and afterward it seems to have completely vanished from public consciousness. Nobody cares about that movie, not even strongly enough to hate it. And yet it somehow made a billion dollars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
True, but it's not that surprising that it was a hit here. It seems surprising that it was a smash overseas.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Actually, It was a miniseries.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Actually, It was a miniseries.

It was later released on home video and all that as a movie too. Your move bitch.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Alice probably just lucked into some sweet spot of coincidences, and I expect the sequel is going to bang its nose if it gets like a $200 million budget.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

davidspackage posted:

Alice probably just lucked into some sweet spot of coincidences, and I expect the sequel is going to bang its nose if it gets like a $200 million budget.

That's how much the first one cost, so it'll probably be more. It's a combination of a megastar, a property well-known internationally because of Disney, and visuals the advertisers can sell around in every market. I assume it'll do OK.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Japan didn't give Alice in Wonderland $330 million domestic gross.

The smash hit success of that film just confuses me, too. When it was new I didn't hear anyone interested in it or anyone saying a nice thing about it, and afterward it seems to have completely vanished from public consciousness. Nobody cares about that movie, not even strongly enough to hate it. And yet it somehow made a billion dollars.

See this is what I'm saying. I'm no expert on this sort-of thing but Alice is just bizarre in ways I can barely comprehend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hahaha is he like, blind? This is a tragic story about a really bad blind swordsman who died pretty quickly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why is Gandalf holding the Eye of Sauron.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

That dragon or whatever looks like a Xenomorph with goofy eyes and nostrils plastered to the front. Looks bad. Trash bad.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mind the walrus posted:

I was in high school when it came out, and all the goth/scene kids were bonkers about that movie, I'd imagine that was part of the success.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

That dragon or whatever looks like a Xenomorph with goofy eyes and nostrils plastered to the front. Looks bad. Trash bad.

It's a transformed Julianne Moore. It looks as stupid as you imagine. Check the red hair. :rolleyes:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I'm kind of hoping that this time next year, we'll be seeing Seventh Son posters with "20156" written on the bottom.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was in high school when it came out, and all the goth/scene kids were bonkers about that movie, I'd imagine that was part of the success.

It's this. I must've seen at least 20 Burton Mad Hatter costumes of varying quality around Halloween.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget that Alice In Wonderland was the first big 3d movie to come out after Avatar. A lot of people saw it because they were expecting a similar level of spectacle and instead they got burned on a shoddy post-conversion.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Don't forget that Alice In Wonderland was the first big 3d movie to come out after Avatar. A lot of people saw it because they were expecting a similar level of spectacle and instead they got burned on a shoddy post-conversion.

I got burned by the shotty 3D so bad. Really turned me off to all 3D movies (still saw Dredd though!). I always check if a film's post converted now. I remember watching the movie and the scene with the caterpillar starts by having the shot where it closes in on the giant mushroom and it was so bad my eyes started to hurt.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

The tiny text undercuts the idea of the poster, showing a tiny little Bruce Wayne going towards a giant bat shaped future.

Indeed, upon viewing in negative-space mode, Wayne is but a bat-dropping falling mid-flight. Makes you think.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

KinkyJohn posted:

Indeed, upon viewing in negative-space mode, Wayne is but a bat-dropping falling mid-flight. Makes you think.

It's a neat little commentary about Bruce Wayne actually being batshit insane.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I got burned by the shotty 3D so bad. Really turned me off to all 3D movies (still saw Dredd though!). I always check if a film's post converted now. I remember watching the movie and the scene with the caterpillar starts by having the shot where it closes in on the giant mushroom and it was so bad my eyes started to hurt.

Post-conversion can be good these days if they actually put a decent bit of effort into making it so. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, for example, was post-converted but still top notch 3D and one of the few films I think were noticeably improved by viewing in 3D. (Pity most of the other Marvel 3D's been kinda generic)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Seriously, post-conversion is no longer a total joke. Give Pacific Rim 3D a spin and tell me it doesn't look good.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D was loving fantastic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Seriously, post-conversion is no longer a total joke. Give Pacific Rim 3D a spin and tell me it doesn't look good.

It doesn't look good, but that's safely on 3D itself, the conversion was fine. It's just not an appealing technology.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Mars Attacks was the last good one :colbert:

Sleepy Hollow is both his last good movie and his best one

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

zenintrude posted:

Most of the movie was in CG and they got the effect shots in 3D from the VFX studios. Also Guillermo asked and got more time for the conversion. It looks great and I also think StereoD has made good job with the latest Marvel movies. Conversion doesn't really work that well if the movie isn't shot with 3D in mind like not using the foreground in shots.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sleepy Hollow is both his last good movie and his best one

Everything named Sleepy Hollow is good, the story, the movie, and the tv show.

When will people accept this?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember really liking the first two acts of Sleepy Hollow and thinking it totally poo poo the bed in the third, like in almost a textbook example of how to gently caress up a perfectly good movie with a bad third act, but I saw the movie over 10 years ago so I'm can't remember particulars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is that drawn by Paul Pope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Right, you made me Google them. On your own heads be it.

TIM BURTON MONDO AND CUSTOM POSTERS, GO!