Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

"This summer... do not hold in hand. If you light John Fuse, get away."

"It will stick your butt in ground." -Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

If you live in a hot/dry environment, those things do not last. Hope those frames are plastic and not glass in that case.

I live in MN and have never had an issue with them in all the years I've been living here and hanging up framed posters. I used to have issue when I'd try and be a cheap rear end in a top hat and put up big stuff like this with only 4 medium sized things, but now big posters get 6 large ones.

Also of course they're plastic, because I'm cheap as gently caress. Hence living in an apartment from the 50's with ceilings this low.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I loved the book, I loved the movie and it sure as poo poo should have been called 'John Carter of Mars'.

Combine both. "John Carter and the Princess of Mars".

That's the best title and immedietely tells you what kind of movie it is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wish they hadn't changed the title just so people wouldn't have a reason to white knight a movie that was the worst parts of Avatar and Attack of the Clones wrapped up into one bloated, expensive mess of a movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Wendell posted:

Joker you have just not done anything right in the hanging of these posters. Just nothing, man!

It's the groverhaus of frame hanging.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vagabundo posted:

It's the groverhaus of frame hanging.

They're load bearing frames.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

effectual posted:

Combine both. "John Carter and the Princess of Mars".

That's the best title and immedietely tells you what kind of movie it is.

John Carter of Mars and the Princess, also of Mars

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Which was the bigger gently caress up, John Carter or The Lone Ranger?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mister Chief posted:

Which was the bigger gently caress up, John Carter or The Lone Ranger?

I just looked it up and found a site entirely focused on gross profit from a movie.

John Carter grossed $282 million in theaters, with a further $37 million from domestic home market sales. The budget was $275 million according to this, but other Googling suggests 250.
The Lone Ranger, meanwhile, got $260 in theaters and $45 million in domestic home market. Its budget is also claimed to be $275 mil by The Numbers, but I'm reading conflicting reports on how accurate this is; it's definitely lower, probably lower than John Carter, it's just not clear how much.

So they were both pretty big fuckups, but John Carter probably hurt more.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 22, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

QUACKTASTIC posted:

They're load bearing frames.
They certainly look like they're holding up the ceiling.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

John Carter was entertaining at least and I enjoyed it. Lone Ranger was a loving slog.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lone Ranger also had the weird racism of Johnny Depp playing a Native American when the character would have worked as a white person who was just raised by the tribe or whatever.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

muscles like this? posted:

Lone Ranger also had the weird racism of Johnny Depp playing a Native American when the character would have worked as a white person who was just raised by the tribe or whatever.
If I'm remembering correctly, there's a scene where Tonto goes full Chinaman down to a rice paddy hat - Johnny Depp disguised as a Native American disguised as a Chinese man.

That loving movie has some weird layers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RDJ actually does that in Tropic Thunder too, which is where the "I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude" line is from.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The train scene in Lone Ranger ruled

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Tropic Thunder was a good movie though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Seshoho Cian posted:

The train scene in Lone Ranger ruled

This is how most people see The Lone Ranger...

I'm weird and like the whole thing, but I'm also not sure why others don't.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whenever I see John Carter or Lone Ranger get mocked for being box office bombs; I find it hilarious that they still registered on film geeks' radar for being disasters.

In contrast to R.I.P.D. which also cost a ton of money to make; yet disappeared from even the mythology of box office flops because it was so forgettable and bland. Its performance on its first weekend (7th place) was far behind the second weekend of another perceived box office flop, the geek-loved Pacific Rim (3rd place).

I guess what I'm really saying is that there's probably an interesting backstory to the Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds movie because a lot of people behind the scenes probably knew nobody would pay to see it yet the project wouldn't die.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
RIPD was an OK movie, most people call it a ripoff of Men in Black, which it is to some degree. But the weird thing to me is that it reminds me even more of the TV show Good VS Evil aka G VS E that like hardly anybody watched and isn't available on DVD or streaming or anything unfortunately. I liked that show a lot, and RIPD was extremely reminiscent of it. So weird.

Perhaps even weirder is that both RIPD and G VS E are essentially "paranormal cops*" which is a concept that has worked plenty of times before on TV and movies so I dunno why no one gave a poo poo about either of them.

*probably more like bounty hunters I guess

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't think that RIPD aired in Dutch theaters, which probably means it went straight to DVD in the entirety of Europe. John Carter and The Lone Ranger did, so they both had some domestic earnings to fall back on.

My biggest problem with the latter was the museum sequences. They added nothing to the story, beyond adding a creepy old Johhny Depp. Was he prosthetics or CGI along the lines of CLU in Tron: Legacy? I can't even remember.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about RIPD is how Kevin Bacon was the main villain but most have made some kind of deal with the studio because I never saw him in any advertising for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ Joe Dante wtf :(

Vintersorg posted:

John Carter was entertaining at least and I enjoyed it. Lone Ranger was a loving slog.

I honestly find both decent enough to watch. I actually watched John Carter every few weeks when I was in china for a few months, since I could only find a couple dozen or so western films online.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anton Yelchin, you have a career.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

effectual posted:

^ Joe Dante wtf :(

I lump him in with John Carpenter for directors who were once amazing but had a stroke or something and now can't direct for poo poo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I lump him in with John Carpenter for directors who were once amazing but had a stroke or something and now can't direct for poo poo.

I don't know, I remember Looney Toons being fun and his last movie apparently has 80 on Rotten Tomatoes so some people must like it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Well hopefully Doddario gets them titties out in this too at least.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know, I remember Looney Toons being fun and his last movie apparently has 80 on Rotten Tomatoes so some people must like it.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action?

I worked on that movie, and fun it was not. It was planned as this huge semi-sequel to Space Jam (at least in the sense of cartoons with real people), and it was pretty much a total flop. And while WB certainly wanted another Space Jam, Dante hated that movie and was doing his best to distance himself from it. Which I guess worked, since Space Jam was at least entertaining, and he produced a serious piece of poo poo.

It's failure also killed a plan WB had to do a bunch of new, high-quality Looney Tunes shorts. They had made a bunch already, but shelved those, and cancelled the work on the ones still in production. Which also had the knock-on effect of killing the Toronto branch of the animation studio I worked for at the time. (although Nelvana getting bought out by Corrus contributed a lot to that too).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ruddiger posted:

Well hopefully Doddario gets them titties out in this too at least.

That Alexandra, she got a beautiful set of.... Eyes. :allears:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please be aware that if there are Dadarrio breasts in the movie, it would be the breasts of a walking corpse.

Said the guy who thinks Rose McIver looks better on her less human days in iZombie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The MSJ posted:

Please be aware that if there are Dadarrio breasts in the movie, it would be the breasts of a walking corpse.

Looks like Greene is the dead one, not Daddario.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The MSJ posted:

Said the guy who thinks Rose McIver looks better on her less human days in iZombie.

Zombie breasts are a staple of the genre.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

Looks like Greene is the dead one, not Daddario.

All them white women look the same to me. Except when they have big foreheads or bug eyes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looney Tunes: Back In Action?

I worked on that movie, and fun it was not. It was planned as this huge semi-sequel to Space Jam (at least in the sense of cartoons with real people), and it was pretty much a total flop. And while WB certainly wanted another Space Jam, Dante hated that movie and was doing his best to distance himself from it. Which I guess worked, since Space Jam was at least entertaining, and he produced a serious piece of poo poo.

It's failure also killed a plan WB had to do a bunch of new, high-quality Looney Tunes shorts. They had made a bunch already, but shelved those, and cancelled the work on the ones still in production. Which also had the knock-on effect of killing the Toronto branch of the animation studio I worked for at the time. (although Nelvana getting bought out by Corrus contributed a lot to that too).

He's talking about The Hole

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Davros1 posted:

He's talking about The Hole

And also Looney Tunes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ashley Greene needed work I guess. Apparition wasn't the launching pad she thought it was.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

So why is she buried in the plot next to her tombstone anyway?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shoehead posted:

So why is she buried in the plot next to her tombstone anyway?

Maybe that's why she came back. They moved the tombstone, but not the body.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Picayune posted:

I mainlined this entire thread over two weeks, what is wrong with me. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

82: Here come the Littles!

AKA "Smug: the Movie"

Dustin Hoffman is 1986 Jackie Chan in Little Big Man

Ehh, just shove Dianne Wiest in the back there. Nobody will notice

Elsie's agent was expensive, but he did manage to secure that "and" credit

Featuring the only monster to be afraid of skin to skin contact

What the heck is going on with these credits?

If I don't remember them, are they still famous?