Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

I want to say that someone mentioned in a different thread that the authors of the books had pretty much no say on the cover art of their books. Pretty much the publisher would tell you what the cover was going to look like, no matter how non-sensical it may be.

Sci-Fi author Charles Stross has stated that when he got his book contract he was allowed exactly ONE cover veto. I'm certain that authors of that era (the 50s and 60s) had even less say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Sci-Fi author Charles Stross has stated that when he got his book contract he was allowed exactly ONE cover veto.

Which explains this:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Which explains this:

Yeah, he wasn't too happy about that but he had already used the veto on an earlier book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The odd part is it's actually a pretty accurate depiction of the main character.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kiimo posted:

It looks like Cage is sort of sporting a Scientology tattoo.
I assume you mean the valknot, the symbol of Odin:

which does sort of look like the Scientology logo®©™ to the untrained eye:

spamman posted:

That was a really good movie that already had great posters. Having said that, putting the guns on it may generate more sales. Have there been studies done on this kind of thing?

I know my dad will go to DVD sales and buy pretty much anything with a gun or that looks a bit actiony but I'm not sure if he's really the norm.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 19, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scientology logo®©™

Nice touch.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

NO

He's apparently walking down the barrel of the gun, because he's the size of a thimble. It just looks like he got sick of having that thing pointed at the beginning of every movie so he's decided to take matters into his own hands and take out that bullet once and for all.

I was also wondering why James Bond was walking down the gun barrel. Maybe the movie is in 3D? He's coming right at you!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jasta posted:

I was also wondering why James Bond was walking down the gun barrel. Maybe the movie is in 3D? He's coming right at you!

They're just trying to shake up the status quo (New and Improved Bond tm! Go see him!) without actually thinking it through. But I seem to be in the minority here when I say that it looks dumb.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But I seem to be in the minority here when I say that it looks dumb.

The rest of us probably like it stylistically and aren't trying to make literal sense of it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cacator posted:

The rest of us probably like it stylistically and aren't trying to make literal sense of it.

Exactly. It's a striking image that is reminiscent of a thing that is in all Bond movies. It's obviously not a film about James Bond shrinking down and walking through a gun barrel or something, jesus.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

TheJoker138 posted:

Exactly. It's a striking image that is reminiscent of a thing that is in all Bond movies. It's obviously not a film about James Bond shrinking down and walking through a gun barrel or something, jesus.

Is it wrong that I want a Bond film about this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's really the only way they could make a Bond movie that's more ridiculous than Moonraker.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wolfbane, in which Bond must stop the plans of an ancient cabal of werewolves that were affiliated with the Nazis.

They tried to put werewolves in the Lone Ranger movie, so why not?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cacator posted:

Even when not approaching it literally I think it looks dumb v :) v

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The posters for John Hillcoat's latest are out.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Is it just me or do Shia and Mia look...strangely similar?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They have similar noses.

Shia LaBeouf's totally f**kin' rawking bad-azz xtreeeeeeeeem pose with the guns just makes me want to punch him in the balls. Well, even more so than usual.

It took me a bit to get that Gary Oldman is wearing his jacket like a cape. His poster still looks like a photoshop disaster though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In the trailer, Guy Pearce looks an awful lot like Crispin Glover.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

It took me a bit to get that Gary Oldman is wearing his jacket like a cape. His poster still looks like a photoshop disaster though.

Seriously. I wonder how many faces they went through. That looks like utter poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Jessica Chastain one bothers me as well. Everything below her neck looks flat.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Gary Oldman's hands definitely don't match up with his arms

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

miscellaneous14 posted:

Only Q could come up with a gun that can be easily concealed inside of another gun.

Also excited for this new John Hillcoat movie.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Wolfbane, in which Bond must stop the plans of an ancient cabal of werewolves that were affiliated with the Nazis.

They tried to put werewolves in the Lone Ranger movie, so why not?

"Live and Let Die" was pretty absurd.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spazzle posted:

Was that the one with Baron Samedi?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Her arm pits are a lot hairier than his.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Spazzle posted:

That one where he crawls out to the car and has to use a defibrillator to restart his heart was the goofiest loving thing I ever saw, like Austin Powers level goofy.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

I suppose it had to come to this, somehow, sometime, for Jay Chandrasekhar.

I want to be disappointed but I cannot be.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sheldrake posted:

That one where he crawls out to the car and has to use a defibrillator to restart his heart was the goofiest loving thing I ever saw, like Austin Powers level goofy.

Defibrillators are never used to restart a flatline. It's a common mistake in movies and TV.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thats a very uncomfortable pose Munn is in

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

the_american_dream posted:

She's just trying to fit more dicks in her rear end, that's all.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

the_american_dream posted:

Not as uncomfortable as her smile.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

The posters for John Hillcoat's latest are out.

Guy Pearce looks loving badass. I loved him in Lockout, and have been a fan of his since Momento/The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favourite films) so I cannot wait to see this. Just for him.

The fact that Gary Oldman is in it is just icing on the cake. :allears:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jasta posted:

Guy Pearce looks loving badass. I loved him in Lockout, and have been a fan of his since Momento/The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favourite films) so I cannot wait to see this. Just for him.

The fact that Gary Oldman is in it is just icing on the cake. :allears:

I'd watch the poo poo out of any Hillcoat movie and I'm way gay for Tom Hardy. Still, I'm really in two minds about this though, because gently caress lovely Beef.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

The MSJ posted:

Defibrillators are never used to restart a flatline. It's a common mistake in movies and TV.

Don't worry, Sheldrake is wrong. It was digoxin toxicity (ie. Digitalis) causing V-T which was treated with electrical cardioversion.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of any Hillcoat movie and I'm way gay for Tom Hardy. Still, I'm really in two minds about this though, because gently caress lovely Beef.

Shai's playing a wanna-be tough guy who actually just a little poo poo who completely fucks up everything in this though, right? He's a pretty good fit for such a role.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

I was really hoping this was fake and that it was just some fan's lovely deviantart creation, but nope, it's legit.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Why is the movie title's text completely and utterly not centered in any way shape or form?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What if we just throw all of the posters so far into one poster? Then do a big explosion filter, that'll be cool, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That tag line is so bad.