Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Slasherfan posted:

Here is the original poster/DVD cover for European Vacation.

The Blu Ray looks like Chevy Chase is either a Giant or missing an arm!

Motherfuck... not only is that absolutely atrocious, it breaks up the continuity with the first film's poster art, which was equally excellent:

Also is there where we all admit to liking the movie "Toys", because I liked the movie "Toys".

VV The irony there is that I so closely associate Chevy Chase with that role that when I see Chevy Chase anywhere else... I'm not thinking Chevy Chase. I'm thinking Clark Griswold.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

A couple of amusing things I noticed about the Vacation posters is that Rusty and Audrey aren't anywhere on the first movie's poster, and on the second Audrey looks absolutely nothing like she does in the film. I'd say it's because it's not meant to be her, but I think more to the point it's because Audrey and Rusty are never the same two actors. One or both were probably cast after the poster came out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

To tie this back in with movie posters, here's the excellent poster for Battle Royale:

Note that even in the original Japanese poster they use English words, "Battle Royale Survival Program". Given that the film is promoted using English words, and the name is officially "Battle Royale" and not "Having a Time on Island With Killer Children From School", I'll call it "Battle Royale".

But come to think of it, House has recently been localized in a Criterion Collection DVD as "House" and not "Hausu", so that argument should probably be put to rest. It's out in the States, it's known as "House", the end.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

"I'd like your newest DVD copy of House, please."

This is the first thing I was greeted with when looking for House on Amazon. Just row after row of this, eventually followed by the other 80's horror movie and then finally the Criterion DVD of the correct House. Luckily, I could tell by the box art which was the right one.

This is why you always look for movies on Amazon.

edit: For added fun, try looking for the poster or cover art for House on GIS solely by searching the word "house". Good luck!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Because the Japanese poster looks like this and has Japanese text on it.

I went through pages of image search results, and that poster you posted showed up once. Every other poster was in English, French, German, etc. and they all had the same design as the Chinese poster. I take that to mean that all territories outside of Japan had a better poster than the original... but all that aside, my main point was about the logo, which is in English.

Oh here, here's another official Japanese poster:

http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/4fec205b

I assume it's for an in-store promotion, what with Takeshi's head taking up the entire top half and the rest of the cast relegated to tiny stills below.

I like this poster for the second:

I heard the second was pretty mediocre, but the poster has more going for it than just "LOGO - TEXT". It's simple but effective, in a cheesy 80's B-movie kind of way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Akuma posted:

Maybe they thought it was a comedy?

The first was a satire, so that was probably an apt interpretation unless the second was supposed to be super-serious and a complete departure from the first.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The MSJ posted:

That's the last place I expect to see a Dreamworks Face.

Hey, lay off him man. He's just gone through rigorous deprogramming or something and he obviously suffered a stroke in the process.

I also like that Dolph Lundgren's AK is photoshopped in in such a way that it looks like he has to be lightly cradling it in one arm. Also the gun looks like it's turned slightly towards the viewer while the clip is straight-on from the side. At least they added the generic stock fireball effect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

Not that there aren't other things wrong with this one, but how is Tyra staying in that position? how?

Looking at it a bit more closely, it looks like she's actually merged with French Stewart into some kind of unholy, worm-like abomination.

And Bill Bellamy just can't believe that poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I have and I loved it but how many 8 year olds know what Sonic is compared to when we were 8? They're all about the Halos and the Cods and the Massive Fecs or whatever.

I have nephews who know who Sonic is, and the other day at work some kid was playing handheld with Sonic noises loudly blaring out of it. I'd say Sonic's a lot more popular with the kids than you realize, you're just not a kid so you don't notice it.

The only thing the 8 year olds probably aren't aware of when it comes to Sonic is that the character is older than they are. If you asked them what a Genesis was, they probably couldn't tell you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It is kind of weird that the poster is showing two "real" characters then one fake one made up for the movie.

Yeah, I also hear that this "Wreck-It Ralph" game isn't even a real arcade game, I mean what's up with that? Movie ruined.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Was it this one?

I like the art style, but it's abstracted to the point that Kirk Douglas looks like Jack Palance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess my only complaint with the Skyfall posters and standees is that they're lazy to the point where they just scream "gently caress you it's James Bond, you're going to watch it anyways". And the sad part is, they're right. I'm going to watch it anyways.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Not to be confused with another CG animated feature film series staring African animals.

I just automatically assumed this was Dreamworks, but I looked the movie up on imdb and can't even find a company tied to it that I recognize. Is this direct-to-video or what is this?

The poster itself is just the most generic mash-up of CGI non-characters. The giraffe, on the "back" of the hawk, is the same size as the other two giraffes who are sticking their heads out of the clouds. So is that a tiny giraffe with a huge head or is it actually just a giraffe's head growing out of the rear end of a hawk?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"Doing all this zombie research down here sure is exhausting, I don't think I could take another Day of the Dead."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I like the concept and the layout of this poster but there's something I absolutely hate about the actual portraits. They look like something out of a freshman level drawing class.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I drew in my early 20's. I even did a series of charcoal celebrity portraits for my Intro to Drawing class that were as chunky, badly-proportioned and off-kilter perspective wise as those.

If only I would've kept it up and also took some Intro to Graphic Design courses, I could make tons of money drawing film posters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Now lets see some of yours and we'll judge who is better.

I guess you missed the part where I was talking about that particular poster and not his entire body of work, or the part where I implied that I'm not that good at drawing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maybe the piano's about to fall on Ray Liotta, who's behind Tobey Maguire wearing a Spiderman costume. The two of them tried switching outfits for the day and Hobgoblin got confused and dropped it on the wrong guy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Did you just say Darkman was mediocre? What a fool you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

How the hell have I not seen this movie already? How?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

drat CONTRASTING COLORS! I demand an orange and darker orange poster!

Well here you go then!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess I'm the only person who sees John Lithgow and no-one else. The dude's pretty distinctive, even with all the make-up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Madkal posted:

I know that Depp is a lot bigger of bill then Hammer but I still find it amusing that Depp's name is first over the guy who is playing the title character.

I find it more amusing that there's an actor (who I'd honestly never heard of before) named "Armie Hammer". I'm going to go ahead and assume that his given birth name is Armand Hammer, and that his parents are both the coolest parents and the biggest assholes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The funniest part is that the name is totally a coincidence, and he was named after his Great Grandfather who was around before Arm & Hammer existed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

The (were)wolves in Twilight are giant.

E:

What kind of phenomenon can explain why it looks like every single person and/or animal in this scene was photoshopped in? Is it a Star Wars Prequel thing where every single thing is CGI, up to and possibly including Kristen Stewart?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I just realize that his wish came true, a film had been made that would change the young minds and the world of cinema, but he didn't make it. George Lucas did it with Star Wars three years later and ended up riding that into the ground. :smith:

Imagine how different the landscape of Hollywood might be today if Jodorowsky had somehow became as big as George Lucas and overshadowed him before Star Wars came out. But that would require Hollywood to be something completely different than what it is, which is a money machine which churns out the safest, widely-accessible garbage (and the occasional gem) it can to increase profits while minimizing risk.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"CHUNKY, CREAMY,
outrageously dripping...
with the PUNGENT smell
of outrageously GOOEY, STICKY drama."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Every individual thing about this poster is the worst thing. Badly photoshopped, horrible composition, premise blatantly depicted along with a tagline explaining it, wacky lowercase title in silly font, a loving sheep.

"Cat Stevens in: Nuns on the Run: Port of Call Ireland"

It's a shame, the trailer makes the movie look not-terrible. Mediocre, but not as awful as that poster.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Trump posted:

You are wrong

Yeah, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that first poster. The third one's pretty good too, the second... is "okay". The first is excellent though, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Those three aren't the greatest, but I'm still loving the 1970's font in the first of that series.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jesus, Bud Cort's movie career is as :smith: as his best-known character.

Though he's probably comfortable with it, so there's that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Everyone forgets Paul.

Don't worry, that includes me.

That was a frustrating movie, because the style and charm of an Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg movie was there, but without the Edgar Wright. All the jokes fell flat, and it was just sort of bland and forgettable. Spaced, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead were all brilliant, Paul wasn't.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

sassassin posted:

The Jamie Foxx one is good

None of them are bad as far as portraits go. They're really well-done photographs, they're just boring as movie posters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I like the layout and idea of this one, but I think it'd be better if it weren't hand-painted, and if the dashboard were just pure black or at least faded quickly into black at the bottom.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What does that say about the minor villains, who are also almost caricatures that have long been getting away with a multitude of murders?

They didn't completely ruin the movie for me, but it wasn't for lack of trying. That whole sideplot was completely unnecessary, way out of left field and even less believable than Supercop vs. Superpsycho. Yes, let's interrupt this revenge thriller with The goddamn Texas Chainsaw Massacre hillbilly cannibal clan.

I still enjoyed the movie overall though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Looks like that Carbon Copy kid did pretty well for himself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Crackbone posted:

It's easy to tell that that's not a Tim Burton thing because there's no white makeup on anything.

The munchkin would have white-and-black striped pants, the flying monkey would have a maroon outfit on, the ape's trident would be black with white stripes... Oz itself would look the same, except "dark and twisted... ooOOoooo!".

I can already hear the "la la la la, la la la la... bum bum bum bum" in my head.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That poster kind of reminded me of something, what was it... ?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

smackfu posted:

And might as well throw in the terrible Blu-Ray cover here:

Lens flares! Chris Pines giant hair! Crazy title modification! (why is it a stamp AND an editors insert mark???)

I don't know, but I can't not read that as "This Means: More War Edition".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, this is supposed to have a "deliberately cut-and-pasted wacky ensemble cast" look, but I'm not sure that excuses it for looking godawful:

I particularly like the woman on the right giving a "come and get it" motion with someone else's disembodied hand.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well if you're gonna steal, steal from... the best?

But at least the Uncle Buck poster looks like it was only maybe two different shoots, John Candy separate and then the family also separate. It could've even been one shoot for all I know, with a hand-painted background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

couldcareless posted:

For awhile there I thought the blonde's arm on the door was the shirtless guy's arm with a really awkward elbow placement.

:stare: Holy poo poo... I honestly did not even notice that it wasn't his arm. But then I'd look at her and see her holding the door too... that's some serious perspective mind-fuckery that you'd only get with the shittiest of copy-paste jobs.

And sorry about apparently starting another Freeloaders/Uncle Buck discussion.