Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I want to be clear here, are you saying Elizabeth Banks looks like a hag or is that 1st person?

I will personally defenestrate anyone who speaks ill of Elizabeth Banks. She is the prettiest, sweetest and at the same time dirtiest person I have ever met IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Jesus, that would've been perfect. What the hell, '90s Hollywood.

And just imagine a Cape Fear-era DeNiro as Wolverine...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sigourney Weaver in the clichéd "walking away from the photoshop explosion whilst wearing sunglasses" routine. Really? Sigourney Weaver?

What's weirder: old timey ray gun dildo or Maggie Gyllenhaal McPlasticFace?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

I've only seen City of Angels since it really felt like a true sequel plus it has one hell of a loving soundtrack. Haven't seen the others but they are more than likely pure poo poo. (I have seen #1, who hasn't? It's a part of most of our teenage angst years)

Someone referenced it in the Worst Movies You Have Ever Seen Thread as the worst 90's anti-drug PSA they'd ever seen and I almost poo poo my pants. Great film, but it's a goddamn shame that Alex Proyas made 2 utterly awesome movies then churned out crap fests like I, Robot & Knowing.

Related:

Not too shabby for floating heads...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

I love this poster for Ghost Rider 2 because it looks like they photographed a confused and slightly disgusted Nicholas Cage right after watching Wicker Man for the first time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Continuing with the terribly photoshopped Liam Neeson phenomena:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Awesome (loving retarded) video game derail, bros!

I have no idea what this movie is about, but I like to imagine it's about some Soviet super bad-rear end who builds railways with his fists for mother Russia.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mistakenly posted this in another thread, thinking it was this one...

Ghana has some awesome movie posters for foreign films, sometimes painted on canvas and sometimes on rice sacks. I've posted a few of them before, but these are new to me:

Tommy Lee Jones as The Terminator.

Real Life Justice!

Either this artist hasn't seen the movie, or he's a real fan of LOST.

Ok, this guy DEFINITELY hasn't seen the movie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

DNS posted:

I can't believe he's 67!

He also teaches what is possibly the creepiest acting class ever.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
New Expendables 2 poster featuring... who?

Listen, shitheads. No amount of terrible Photoshop blurring is going to make Kathleen Turner look good at this point, so why bother?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't be surprised if that's really his body, minus the obvious photoshop touchups. I've worked on one of his films and he's an exercise nut. He has a huge gym trailer on-set at all times and works out whenever he's not actively shooting or rehearsing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bunch of new posters from Filmdrunk.com

The sun is below, yet in front of the horizon... somehow...

Why is everyone's head slightly askew?
(also cue the Bruce, trigger discipline! posts from the TFR crew)

YES

NO!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Haha thread stings again. We just finished this yesterday. This is the second-to-last hurrah of the producer's contract with our studio. You can make your own determination what that means.

But what happens once you believe you die?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/theapparition/

edit: ah I missed your cleverness. How's that working for you?

Haha sorry, I couldn't resist. Personally, I don't think it's a terrible poster. The tagline, however...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Welp.

The book was published in 2008.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

This poster's been out for quite a while. And so has the movie poster (haha sorry, Barons).

Seriously, the film's about Uday Hussein's body double during the Hussein family's time in power, so it fits the motif with the golden AKs and all.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Psalmanazar posted:

An X-Treme 80s action movies thread would be great. If only I knew anything about movies or the eighties.

Awesome 80's movies you say?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did someone mention The Wiz?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, he got booted off The Hobbit, then developed ATMOM at Universal. Universal loved his proof of concept, but needed him to commit to a PG-13 cut in order to provide his requested budget. The project fell apart on that point. After having spent so many years on two projects that evaporated he just wanted to shoot something, and jumped Pacific Rim with WB. I think they'd been developing it together, sort of on the back burner while Guillermo pursued The Hobbit/ATMOM, for several years.

I really wanted to see Del Toro's take on The Hobbit and was really bummed when the story broke that he was leaving. The stories I've been hearing about the production under Jackson have not been favourable at all. Multiple splinter units with no communication or direction, a number of experienced industry vets have said it's one of the worst on-set experiences they've ever had because of the chaos, and the 48fps footage has all the depth of a Mexican soap opera after a PAL to NTSC standards conversion.

Content: gently caress YEAH (huge)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Dude what the hell are you talking about? You should post this on the Hobbit thread and see how quickly it gets shot down.

Starting with the 48 FPS which you have the option of seeing or not seeing. And depth isn't the issue, it is how your eye jumps when you scan in real life as opposed to how the 48 FPS doesn't that gives it the soap opera effect. The Hobbit is going to be awesome.

I hope so, I love the source material and I think Jackson's great (even if I would rather see Del Toro's take on it). And I know that on-set strife doesn't necessarily always show up in the finished product, but I've heard a couple first-hand accounts of the chaos. I should probably stay out of the Hobbit thread haha.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

But as far as people complaining about a chaotic set, I'd probably complain too if I had to haul a bunch of production poo poo up a mountain every day. I don't think that is going to ruin the film or anything.

No on-set labour is going to make an issue about humping gear or working in a lovely location. Well everyone complains, but it's an expected part of the job. I'm talking about half a dozen shooting units with different directors and no clear direction, actors and crew being shuffled around between units with little organization or planning, and 40 minute long rolling resets* driving the actors crazy (this is rumoured to be why Rob Kazinsky dropped out).

But yes, the proof will be in the pudding and I'll hold off on burning the film at the stake until I actually see it in the theatres. It may very well turn out to be a masterpiece.

*Back in the days of shooting on film a normal camera roll was around 400 feet, so you could only shoot for 4-ish minutes before having to change mags. This gave the actors and crew time to reset, go over their lines, reapplyt etc. WIth the advent of digital recording to large format hard drives, you can shoot 4k 3D for almost an hour without turning the camera off. It can be very tempting for directors to be lazy and just leave the cameras running and go again and again and again, but it really fucks with your cast. Many actors lose their places, their performances get muddled, and they get burned out very quickly.

Content: The international DVD cover for Dolph Lungren's terrible I Come In Peace

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bugblatter posted:

What?

35mm is available in 1000' rolls, which run ~11 minutes. You can get plenty of takes out of 11 min. The next mag is always ready to go before the previous one has run out and changing mags shouldn't take more than a minute with a gate check if your ACs are at all competent. There are similar very brief delays associated with shooting digital (Running an Epic for hours without stopping? Maybe in theory...) and you'll have longer delays from re-setting the actual, you know, set.

400' rolls of 35mm are also available, but 1000' is the standard. If you're on a student film and the camera crew doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing then maybe changing mags would take more than a minute? But otherwise what are you even talking about?

You're right, I'm mixing up the rolls. Had it in my mind that the 1000 foot reels were for movie projectors, but that's 2000 feet. Regardless, the costs involved in shooting & processing film made lengthy rolling resets fairly rare. Producers would poo poo down your neck for burning film.

I'm not saying everyone goes for coffee when the mags are being changed, I'm talking about the brief breather the cast & crew needs between takes to reset, reapply makeup, adjust lighting, get back into a different emotional state, etc.

As for running an Epic for almost an hour without stopping, I've seen it happen more than once. I've also seen the problems & rage that 8-10 hours of multicam dailies a day causes editorial on both low budget MOWs & high budget features.

Anyhoo, sorry for the derail.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well I would have loved to have worked on this film. Three takes, no cuts!

Interesting poster idea, meh execution, way too much text.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Naw, the best part about the early REDs was when they recorded with the same camera roll number or forgot to increment at the beginning of the day and hosed post with identical file names for multiple masters.

:negative:

Thankfully, that poo poo's been fixed with the newer firmware and there should always be unique filenames.

Now, to make up for my negative comment about I Come In Peace, a movie co-starring Brian Benben that only exists because of the "and you go in pieces" punchline, how about a poster for a good Dolph Lungren movie?

And then there's this...

What the gently caress? You couldn't even be bothered to run a loving spell check?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I know nothing about this movie, but is it possible he's Russian and they're going for a Russian spelling of detective? I also know nothing about the Russian spelling of detective so I might be wrong.

That's what I thought at first too, but his character's raised in Japan and there's really no connection to Russia at all in the first film. Haven't seen the sequel.

vvv I guess that explains why I've never heard of it until now.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2012

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I worked 13.5 hours today. I am definitely digging for things to complain about.

Comic-Con :argh:

I am in the same hell for very similar reasons, and I don't even get to go. :qq:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Handsome Dead posted:

Now you mention it, besides for him being on a promo video for Haye vs. Chisora, I haven't seen Dyer on TV for ages. Last time I remember any of his films being in the cinema was Doghouse, co-starring Noel Clarke, so maybe that was where he passed the torch.

Being from North America I don't know much about Dyer, but he sounds like a real reasonable gentleman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h9ZPBuBEs

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Real Breaking Dawn part 2 character posters are out now, and many of them are... well...

:pwn:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Like, who the gently caress is this? Some guy who just closed up his bar? A London factory worker?

According to the link he's part of the Irish coven, whatever the gently caress that means.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Glamorama26 posted:

Seriously though, is Luke Wilson ok?

He burned his own bridges. He was supposed to have Jason Bateman's role in Juno but pulled out literally days before shooting. Unfortunately for him he had already signed a contract, so the production ended up suing him. Not sure what the final result was, though.

I was told he has booze issues, which would explain the weight gain.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xandu posted:

I suspect they originally casted for generically "Asian" people.

Yeah, Hollywood is terrible at stuff like this. I once asked my Egyptian boss at the time if he had seen True Lies when it premiered on cable a few nights earlier (this was a while ago). He rolled his eyes and went on a rant about how all the arab actors were obviously from different countries, some of them were mexican, and they were speaking mostly gibberish and not even farsi or tajik or whatever.

He then postfaced that with "Of course, all these movies are made by the jews, anyways". :happyelf:

(Sorry, I couldn't NOT use that emote...)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

Sounds like a Takeshi Kitano movie.

I was just about to post this. If you like Kitano films you will like Drive, and vice versa.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
On that note, awesome poster:

Terrible DVD cover:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

zenintrude posted:

Allow me to interrupt this horror/pronunciation/nationality clusterfuck with a new poster!

:smug:

JCVD's got a Donnie Darko smirk going on there.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but I'm still wondering how the gently caress anybody rationalizes signing off on this.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I think there was a poster for this that was not horrible but I can't remember what it looked like.

Was it this one?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I believe the first draft of Big Trouble In Little China was written by W.D. Richter (Banzai's director), but he had it set in the old west and Jack Burton was looking for his stolen horse. Both the script and tone of the film were changed when John Carpenter was hired to direct.

Don't bother listening to the Buckaroo Banzai commentary, I found it fairly painful. They pretend Buckaroo Banzai & the institute actually exist and that they actually made a docudrama about real life events.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also, :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost