Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Vagabundo posted:

I like this one because even before I scrolled down enough to see the title I knew exactly what movie it was. I didn't realize that shirt/suspenders/tie combo was so iconic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

However, it's much more iconic for someone who has seen the film, overall most of what it tells outsiders is essentially "this movie takes place in an office where people wear ties" - which you essentially already get from the title. Something that simply and cleverly conveys the idea of being stuck in a corporate hell would be much more appropriate and interesting. Or being a faceless cog in a machine, or having an oppressive amount of red tape between you and any decision, etc.

It seems like these aren't things that 99% of those designers think of when making these.

For a theatrical poster yeah, but this is specifically made for fans of the movie.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I'll never understand the obsession goons have with fonts. At least it's not comic sans or impact right?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah man, why are people sperging out over typography in a thread largely about graphic design? What's up with that?

Oooh ya got me. Except I wasn't talking about sperging in this thread, I was speaking about goons in general.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Here's a good one designed by Mike "I'm with Coco" Mitchell:

and its alternate:

Great posters, great movie, great podcast. There isn't a way to buy this is there? I would love that first one on my wall

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

How often does this question come up in this thread? I think it's every twenty pages or so, I'm not sure. I'd have to go through the old one to get a clearer picture.

It's a fair question though. I know it would be difficult to get all the actors together with hectic schedules and all, but why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?

It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

WebDog posted:

:words:

Interesting. Thanks for the informative post WebDog. Sadly it looks like when it comes to big budget studio movies, we have to pick from unpolished, realistic looking crap and clean, digital, fake looking crap.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This rules.

It's also not a real movie, so don't get your hopes up.

Not only would a Walt Disney biopic be awesome, but that's a fantastic poster. I'm so disappointed that's not real.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

This one is pretty great too(by the same artist):

The tagline is too long and clunky but other than that it's pretty good

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Cacator posted:

Good photoshop, bad writing. WALT. WATERLOO. LIZ. All bland and boring titles.

I think that's the point. That's likely what Hollywood would name those hypothetical biopics.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

cyberia posted:

From a few pages back but the theatrical release poster for Cosmopolis is awful:

That has to be one of the worst taglines I've ever read.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Day of the Dolphin is a movie you have to see to believe. George C Scott and a talking dolphin, how can you lose?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Now that I know how it ends I just want to see it even more.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

My only minor complaint is that the clouds that make up the radiation symbol don't really look like clouds at first glance. They look more like big black holes until you get a chance to look a little closer, but like I said that's minor. Pretty good poster.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

They remind me of the covers for the Dexter DVDs .

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Is there any reason as to why there is a puppy dog in the reflection of the blood in this poster?

Haha, I didn't notice it before but it does look exactly like a golden retriever.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I like this poster.

But it looks like Lionsgate got lazy and rearranged this poster

My first thought was they're ripping off this:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

That poster for The Artist is infinitely better than that blu-ray cover. Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to stick it on the the blu ray instead of paying some graphic design dropout to photoshop something so generic?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Let the marketing blitz begin!

In all seriousness, though, I'm really excited for this. The poster's a little strange, though . . . It looks like two of them only have one leg.

When I first saw it my brain assumed that the person on the far left is wearing pants with 2 different legs and 2 different shoes and I assumed it was meant to be Brick Tamland. I thought it was a pretty funny joke, but now I'm not sure.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

The Phalanx cover is amazing just for its bizarreness. It's certainly memorable.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am sure James Franco will be tokin' it up the whole way through this Disney film, yes.

From the reviews I heard there wasn't much pot humor in that movie, despite it's title.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Noxville posted:

Is it just me or have there been like 5 millions posters for new Batman so far? Wouldn't it be better to put out a few of their best posters rather than throw out every single idea they come up with?

Shotgun marketing?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I haven't seen The Aviator, but she was in that and I've always heard it was good.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

This poo poo is starting to aggravate me every time I look at it.

loving two minutes, Universal. Two minutes.

This is a million times better.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Somebody went wild with the airbrush.

Replace the names with "Play Movie", "Select Scene" etc. and it could be the DVD menu

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I f'in LOVE Pontypool and while I'm not totally sold on a sequel, I do like that poster quite a bit.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Damon was pretty funny on Happy Endings and so is his son.
Also LAdy Gaga has acted she was an extra in Sopranos

She was like 14, and I don't think she even spoke.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, he wrote a letter to the Internet basically saying "look guys, I appreciate that you love my stuff so much you want to share it, but it feels weird seeing other people do what they want with it and I'm kind of personally attached to it, so if you wouldn't put it online that'd be cool. Thanks."

And it just goes to show that asking nicely and keeping a level head will go a long way on the Internet, even with the jaded 4chan types, since I don't think I've ever seen a Far Side cartoon online ever.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Jefferoo posted:

Here you go I guess: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the+far+side

As someone who knows pretty much every Larson cartoon by heart and is a bit of a fan, there's just a handful up through there. But seriously, pick up an anthology or two if you can, he's not bad.

I didn't mean I'd never seen The Far Side, I've just never seen it online. As far as newspaper comics go its pretty good and if I ever found a collection I'd probably buy it

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

That is an amazing poster. Very "haters gonna hate".

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

The commercial for it is also terrifying

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw, come on. Cabin in the Woods wasn't that long ago!

I wouldn't call Cabin in the Woods a spoof. It played with some conventions of the horror genre, sometimes for comedic effect, but it's by no means a comedy.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah, thinking more about it, I guess you could call it a horror comedy. I see it more of a horror thriller though, but maybe that's semantic.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm not entirely sure why but this makes me so happy.

I think it's because MJ Fox is the most likable person who has ever lived.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

And the greatest tagline since Jaws 2.

I read the tag line on top and thought "What? That's garbage!" then I scrolled down.

loving awesome!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I just can't wrap my mind around how those arms and hands work. Also Andy Milonakis is still alive, who knew?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I like the Hitchcock poster, mostly for the knife/tie.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

HBO is also making a Hitchcock movie, although they're just focusing on the filming of The Birds and how Hitchcock basically tortured Tippi Hedren while filming it. Here's what Toby Jones looks like as Hitchcock:

Edit: Also the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HxMslIwsCZU

Wow, he looks even less like Hitchcock.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I liked Cedar Rapids but that cover in no way conveys anything about the movie, in fact it conveys the exact opposite. It looks like they were trying to make it seem like The 40 Year Old Virgin or something on the cover when it's actually a dark comedy and pretty depressing most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Christopher Walkin has the power to make dogs levitate.