Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It depresses me that films like The 400 Blows get into the Criterion Collection but Cobra and RoboCop don't. The system is broken. :(

vvv Wait a minute, I knew that, the hell was I thinking? I have the drat thing on DVD somewhere.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Might as well make a related contribution since I brought up my favorite movie ever:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

When did Luke Wilson get mumps?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Red_Museum posted:

Unusual to have the poster credit in the centre of the poster, I think?

That's because it's actually two posters and they couldn't make up their mind which to keep, so we get a top with no bottom and a bottom with no top. Throw the text in the middle, no one will notice!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I don't care how old a film is, there's no excuse for promoting the format with typeface that's almost the same size as the title. That's just tacky. But I guess that's acceptable seeing as how this is a 3D release for literally the gayest film ever made.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I actually had to look for Steve Carrell when the original poster was put up, I thought he wasn't on it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Held by really tiny fingers.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Look at the year Chicago won Best Picture and tell me that's not complete and utter horse poo poo.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
"Hi, we'd like to contract you to make a poster for our re-release."
"Great! Can we have your modeling for use?"
"No."
"Uh, okay... how about some stills at least?"
"No."
"...Fine, gently caress you, here."

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Robert Denby posted:

This is a good 'For Your Consideration' poster too:

This makes Bane look like he's texting in the middle of the "proceedings" or whatever it is.

e: vvv don't remember, I've thankfully been able to forget most of that movie.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 22, 2013

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Bonus:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I don't get the anticipation for this movie, all the marketing has had the opposite effect on me. I never want to see this movie ever.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
If you can call J-Law fat and mean it in earnest, then I feel bad for you and your pitiful self-confidence issues.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Tewratomeh posted:

I like the idea of what they're doing with the film, but calling it "World War Z" at this point, with the direction they've taken it, is meaningless.

I'm worried about this, but for different reasons than you I think. The novel is a telling of how numerous countries dealt with the growing problem and it provided what was, at the time, a unique take on the genre: zombie apocalypse in a different country. That I think is the most interesting thing about the novel, experiencing what's happening in Russia and Israel and China and so on. I feel that the movie is going to be almost entirely centered around the United States and Brad Pitt's family there, with the other countries relegated to "updates" via news clips and things to that effect. That will entirely miss the concept of the novel, and I'm banking on that happening.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

mind the walrus posted:

The splash page inside one of the books from the 00s:

It could've just been a live action still of this exact thing and it would have been beautiful.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
"I'm just gonna casually kneel somberly at the edge of the bay of this banking plane, totally unaffected by wind. Or gravity."

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I'm buying this because RoboCop gun.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I was worried that all this was some "that's the joke" stuff going over my head, because yes, that is a terrible poster in every way.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It's a good still. The still conveys the mood and feeling you're talking about. The still is a tiny part of the poster, which is a horrible total product. Yes there's a great still in it, but the poster itself still has two feet of black space and poor typeface and layout management. It is a beautiful still, yes, in the middle of a poo poo poster. Dropping even the best imagery straight out of the film into the middle of a black sheet is about the laziest thing a human being can do. That poster took all of four minutes to design. A film that is that memorable deserves a hell of a lot more effort.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That one's awesome because it's impossible to not pay attention to. If it were on a wall a hundred feet away it would pull your eye.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Here's the original without the MS painted-on Russian title:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

FauxGateau posted:

My favorite movie art would be them literally cropping a scene from the movie.

If this means Aguirre, that frame in some format is literally the only thing posters of the movie have ever been made of. They're all just that picture.

Also thanks thread for bringing this movie up, I thought after suffering through it the last time I'd never have to see it again.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

penismightier posted:

For a pretty good forums poster, you have horrendous taste.

Aguirre is one of a handful of classic "you must like this" cinema that I just can't take. I recognize its merit and even celebrate its achievement, but it is absolutely insufferable from end to end. I feel everyone's allowed to have bad films as guilty pleasures, as well as a few classics they're allowed to hate.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Something like this is definitely preferable.

"No, no — the lens flare needs to be at least 3/4 of the overall print width. Longer!"

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Principal Strickland, played by James Tolkan.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Oh my God, this is great.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Maybe him and Jenny going together "like peas and carrots?"

My god even if that is the explanation that is bad

Hahahahaha, gently caress

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Noxville posted:

I like how the sun is right behind them but they're clearly being heavily lit from the side.

Except the guy foreground left, he's clearly already in the moonlight which is somehow 6 feet in front of the other people.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I do like though that a literal train wreck is present in the marketing material for this movie.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Palpatine MD posted:

I know nothing about Superman, can someone explain to me why this guy gets the huge silly S on his chest?

It's the family crest of El, Superman's birth family. This guy is his dad.

e: f,b :(

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Shoehead posted:

People know about House? I love that movie! Is House II any good?

House happens to have my favorite tagline of any movie ever.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Mondo sucks poo poo but dear GOD this is stunning.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
pjotr ring
all you need is kill

no

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

LeJackal posted:

It was as about a big a secret as the twist in From Duck 'Til Dawn

I really want to see this.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I'm getting a big Gilbert Grape vibe off of Leo in that, which is helping me imagine this film as a successor to it.

vvv I hate the Catching Fire poster. It's the boring, safe approach to that film and it lacks any sort of heart whatsoever. It's literally a picture of her face with the film title because that's all it needs to be to put asses in seats. Anything would have been better than that. Maybe I'm just grumpy from having it stare me in the face every time my train stops.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 3, 2013

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So it's Spider-man versus a Zord. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I just bought this in a one-sheet to hang in a blank space in my theatre room:

Zero regrets.