Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

westborn posted:

This one was just voted Worst Movie Poster of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Sometimes you have professional graphic designers doing a bad job, and sometimes you have a kid that barely knows how to use Photoshop:

Oh, and a goon acted in this one. He/She says the movie is bad.

Bad? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPz-uxhJt0
code:
" BRILLIANTLY" !
  "ORIGINAL"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Oh man, I can't believe quote/edit finally tripped me up

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

No Country... had so great posters:

Why is he wearing socks in a field?!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Two cops walking through an explosion. How does that in ANY way shape or form tell me that they go undercover as high school students to find the supplier of a new drug?

It may have been done on another poster, too. I can't quite remember right now. But it's sure as hell not original.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Early reviews are saying it's amazing. Considering it's from the guys who did Clone High, I can't wait.

Yeah, this was pretty much the only thing I could hear that would make me excited for the movie, and it worked.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

While neither Hill nor Tatum are on the level of a Rogen or an Arterton, either of whose presence basically ensures the movie is awful (honourable exception: Donnie Darko)

Somebody hasn't seen Pineapple Express :colbert:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

penismightier posted:

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/

Where's Groundhog Day :mad:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

This is why I can't watch I can't watch Jeopardy! without thinking of Capcom.

Oh, you rear end in a top hat.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Legion of One posted:

I remember being told that one of the actors for this (i think it was Dane Cook) called it one of the most generic posters hes ever seen, think he used more Colourful language though.

Dane Cook posted:

Dear Diary

Before the downpour let me just say that my new movie, "My Best Friends Girl," is the best / funniest film I've done yet. It's got a terrific cast. Kate Hudson, Alec Baldwin, Jason Biggs, and myself really kicked the funny around. This movie showcases our talents accordingly as it expands on them. It's a fun R-rated flick. An edgy comedy with a dash of romance.

That being said, let me address the fact that although I'm not a marketing major, I have a bit of a trusted reputation after 18 years self promoting. I'd like to inform you I had no say in this marketing campaign, but if I did, things would be different since it is obvious that this poster is boring / odd and has zero to do with the movie I performed in.

Here are a few things that truly blow about my upcoming movie poster to promote the release of the film opening on September 19th:

1. Graphics: Whoever photoshopped our poster must have done so at taser point with 3 minutes to fulfill their hostage takers deranged obligations. They should have called Donnie Hoyle and had him give a tutorial using "You Suck at Photoshop" templates. This is so glossy it makes Entertainment Weekly look wooden.

2. My head: The left side of my face seems to be melting off of my skull. I guess I am looking directly into the Ark of the Covenant? Are they going for the bells palsy thing here? My left side looks like Brittany Spears' vagina.

3. The Stare: My character apparently has fallen in love with a strand of Kate Hudsons hair. Kate's mannequin is desperately in love with the inside of my right ear while Jason is half stunned, half corsage.

4. Lips: It looks like I'm wearing Maybelline Water Shine Diamonds Liquid Lipstick. My characters name is now Winter Solstice and I'm a hooker with a heart of gold. Jason is my floral carrying pimp, while Kate is my first trick!

5. Fashion: My character is sporting a very high collar I mean drat they should be snow capped at that altitude. It's going for the vampire lurking in the castle basement vibe. An Olympic pole vaulter would have a tough go clearing that collar. I'm also able to turn my head comfortably 180 degrees, because I was raised in an abandoned barn by a family of owls.

6. Flesh: It's no secret that I'm more rugged facially due to a drunken visit by the teen acne fairy, but according to this poster I've got perfect porcelain flesh. I look like the fuckin' bathroom floor at Caesars Palace. One of Marie Osmond's dolls would look at me and say "poo poo … that guys got flawless skin!"

7. Hair: It's actually a close up shot of Tom Sellecks Magnum P.I. mustache they photo-slapped on my noggin'.

8. The set: Pick one. This entire film takes place:

A. on Gattaca B. at the Fortress of Solitude C. inside a crystal wind chime

9. The cast: Alec Baldwin is so loving funny in this movie! Is he on the poster? I think so. He plays the wise talking plant Jason is clutching.

10. Final thoughts: I set out to make a movie like the contemporary men and women, that you and I respect, are making. My generation of comedians, actors, directors and producers that I wish to collaborate with as I build a solid body of work.

Granted, one poster stinking up the joint isn't the end of the world. Yet it sends the wrong message about our movie and I just wanted you to know, that I feel the pain. I really love the film and I know from past missteps marketing wise that the wrong poster sends the wrong audience into the theater.

Thanks again for all of your support. If you have not seen the red band trailer (which is excellent and represents the flick accordingly) click on the link at the top of this page.

PS - "Its funny what love can make you do." I just threw up all over this awful poster. Wow, wait … it looks better.

Hey … I love my new movie. Jeez … it IS funny what love can make you do.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I kinda like it. I haven't seen the movie but it looks kinda like sound waves hitting an abstract ear which, from what I gather about the film, seems appropriate.

That's a poster for a different movie called "The Artist."

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

There is actually a lot of work done on this but for once it came out looking natural. I'm not a huge fan of how the sun under Taylor Schilling's chin makes her face a bit distorted but it looks good one-sheet size.

With how much work went into it making everybody happy I was glad that it came out looking like they're actually there. For once.

How much of Zac Efron's bicep were you contractually obligated to show?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I think this is also another one of those odd billing situations. Notice how Martin Lawrence gets credited first at the bottom (on the embedded image).

Yup. In the trailers it's reversed -- Robbins is first on the left (but lower) and Lawrence is on the right (but at the top).

Kro-bar posted:

It's odd to me that the statue in the poster isn't the Statue of Liberty. Can anyone ID what it actually is?

It's The National Monument to the Forefathers, and Cameron is crying because it's a monument to the Pilgrims and their Christian beliefs, and it is LITERALLY FALLING APART :911:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hahahahaha what the gently caress. There is no way this was actually released. No way. I don't believe it.

No, they revised the artwork before releasing it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

westborn posted:

It's not so much just in the teaser as it is the teaser. I'm pretty sure there was never supposed to be a WTC scene (or at least not that one) in the movie itself and the whole thing was made as a very early stand-alone teaser, and that's why...

Yeah, the teaser was shot separately from the rest of the film, although I think I remember hearing that the climax of the movie was originally going to take place on top of the World Trade Center (which was definitely the case for Men in Black 2).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I will be lining up to see this. Thats the best one line description I've ever heard, and it looks like Rob Pattinson is turning into a real actor. Good on him.

I've always liked Robert Pattinson, because he seemed to have a sense of humor about the Twilight films (which it was obvious he loving hated).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

For everyone knocking Hard Candy for Ellen Page's character being a "super-smart kid who knows everything," wasn't it strongly implied that she was really a university-level medical student?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cantskate43 posted:

Explain. I don't remember anything of the sort but it sounds really interesting.

Whoops, new page. These are spoilers for Hard Candy.

I thought the fact that she has access to medical textbooks and tranquilizers strong enough to knock Jeff out within minutes were clues, but looking at the plot summary on Wikipedia, I guess it wasn't as explicit as I remember. I think there was also some dialogue near the end where Jeff accused Hayley of not being named Hayley -- and probably not even being 14?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

Oh look, finally a poster is made so people can't complain that the names don't match the order of the faces! Are you happy now, Sockser?

These People Are In Big Trouble:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Gonz posted:

If I remember correctly, that movie was pushed back and re-edited to take out several scenes involving a bomb on a plane.

Yeah, it never made its September 21, 2001 release date.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

It's worth noting also that as the movies went on, the WB studio card before the film got dingier and rustier looking. I thought it was pretty neat.

The WB logo has seen some poo poo:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

That foot is inhuman. It is a crime against nature.

Anyway, check out this light-source nightmare!

This is what Mac from Super Troopers has been reduced to :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

CRINDY posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on. Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs was a piece of poo poo the series' first 3D movie. You can't sell the fourth goddamn one like that.

To be fair, this seems to be a Dutch poster. Maybe 3 wasn't released in 3D there?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Limited edition poster that will be given away at selected midnight IMAX screenings. I quite like it, actually.
Spider-man looks like he's holding the world's longest goddamned cane

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Kiimo will appreciate this: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/25546ac0df/steve-carell-s-movie-poster-contract

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I really like the fact that they brought on the directors of Catfish for 3 and 4.

I'm not gonna watch them, I just like it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

This thread

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

And either their grammar is appalling or they had to put 'guilty' in scare quotes for legal reasons.

The expression is usually "to protect the innocent," so maybe they're just trying to emphasize the difference.

Also, that's appalling punctuation, not grammar

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Say you're a studio. You've got a big fall movie, big names, some Oscar potential, and a director with two solid productions under his belt. You've got to come up with a poster that'll put butts into seats.

:effort:

Try harder next time.

All I can see is this:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Wow wow wow:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

and here's a poster that I've always loved, the blurb about Animal House is so out of place, yet so right.

I'll take any opportunity to remind people how awesome this is:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hey wait a minute:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Uh... I think Diane Kruger's feet are on backwards.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Nothing to see here, everyone. Move along now.

Maybe this poster would be better if we replaced all the faces:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Wait, back in the '90s you could just buy 8mm prints? :psyduck:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ZackHoagie posted:

Nah, the titles wouldn't change position.

No, he's right: the cover for the Blu-Ray/DVD re-release was lenticular.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hasters posted:

I haven't enjoyed shredding a screener that much since Tree of Life.

Wait, I don't understand: is it a bad movie or not? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007