Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They did gently caress one up

This one is only bad because he's staring at a loving pillar. But even that's a small thing that I can forgive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

And who says it can't be both?

Because movies don't really have fans yet when they're still in the stage where they would have theatrical posters, maybe? Unless it was for a rerelease or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

Movies with built in fanbases (ie every superhero movie) as well as stuff like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where there was an existing fanbase before the (new) movies were released.

Anyone who was a fan of any of those before they released was stupid. Sure, you might get something awesome like LOTR, but for every LOTR there's something that turns out like Batman & Robin. Being a fan of the franchise the movie is based on is fine, but being a fan of the movie itself before it releases is a dumb thing to do.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maarak posted:

Sure, plus you can feel good knowing that paying to see it in theaters might help push back the awful institutional racism of Hollywood.

On the down side, it could encourage George Lucas to make more movies. It's like AVP again, no matter who wins, we lose.

E: I just realized that tag line makes no sense for the movie it was in, as the Predators were obviously the good guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

The vibe I get from those Expecting posters is that the film makers are trying to make a raunchy "chick-flick" with posters aimed at getting males to see the films (ie the quotes about racks and being horny). It seem's a bit like pandering but not any more than other posters. I just hope it isn't raunchy for raunchy sake (pretty much saying Bridesmaids made a poo poo ton of money so lets do that again).

Comedy option: Here is a pandering poster done right:

(I own this one and am drat proud of it)

All the Sin City posters were pretty great. I have the one that's all red, with Marv walking with his back towards the viewer, that says "Walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find anything...anything" in the same boxes that one has. It was slick looking.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I mean who the gently caress is like OK 9 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY FOR SOME BIGGER BREASTS gently caress YEAH

Men who write dialogue for pregnant women in movies based off of books about "things that happen when you are pregnant." So...horrible people, I guess?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It's been nearly 8 years since Kill Bill Volume 2 came out. I don't think The Whole Bloody Affair is happening.

About 4 years ago, Amazon.com had a page up for The Whole Bloody Affair on DVD. They even had a picture of the cover, and a release date. You could pre-order it. Then that day came and went, and...nothing. No announcement of cancellation, no announcement of it getting pushed back, no explanation as to why it was ever put up in the first place if it was the DVD equivalent to vaporware, nothing. I'm still mad about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shouldn't Kill Bill 3 be what Tarantino does after Django Unchained? It's been about the amount of time he said he wanted to let pass in between doing it. Maybe when that happens we'll see the Whole Bloody Affair release?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kiimo posted:

Here's what it is, when you stop making profitable and quality sequels you reboot. That's the new blueprint.

See Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Superman (getting a new reboot next year).

I predict a Punisher reboot and a Spawn reboot next.

X-Men hasn't had a reboot. First Class contradicts a couple of things from the other films, but it's pretty obvious it's meant to be in the same series, right down to Jackman as Wolverine and Stamos as Mystique. And they're talking about doing X-Men 4, which will hopefully ignore X3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney/Marvel bought the Punisher license back recently from whatever studio had the rights. Supposedly they're considering making a TV series or miniseries or something out of it, rather than another movie.

The rumor is TV Series on FOX, and the idea sounds loving awful. Imagine Dexter, but with a skull t-shirt.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I did get what they were trying to do instantly, but I agree that this doesn't sell the film very well. If it was a picture of the Necronomicon in the same style, I'd probably like it.

The color is what does it for me. It should have been black with a red or white tape recorder. That alone would have made it much more passable. And the recorder is too thick too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

Yes, "Not all supers are heroes" would make more sense to me.

Even that doesn't really make sense though, because everyone knows super villains are a thing. If the movie was about a guy with no powers having to fight a super villain, then the "Not all heroes are super" thing would make sense. There is no way to make a turn of phrase with those words that fits this movie though. "Some people with super powers are heroes and some are not!" is pretty much the closest you can get, but it's still super dumb and obvious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

Okay, so I thought the first trailer looked great and I didn't have the problem with the whole "dude goes evil" thing that Rageaholic Monkey had. I also don't really have a problem with that tagline. But, man, that poster looks utterly stupid. The kid is . . . what exactly? Flipping the sky the bird? Man, that's really hardcore and poo poo! What a badass! Secondly, that is about the lamest "intense face" I've ever seen. Thirdly, that cloud doesn't even make sense with his hand! The cloud's thumb is on the wrong side, isn't it? Whose hand is the cloud mimicking if it's not mimicking his? How hard would that have been to get right? I loved that first trailer, but this one stupid-rear end poster has just squandered every bit of good will I had from the trailer.

E: Me no read good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

Are you being sarcastic? I think it's one of the most downright sexist posters I've ever seen.

How so? Maybe if it's there gratuitously, but if the man is a womanizer and that's what the movie is about, it's pretty fitting. Hell, even if he's not, how is showing two people possibly having sex sexist? I think the ones where it's a random shot of a girls legs and rear end in the foreground despite what the movie is actually about are the sexist ones.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rare Collectable posted:

Perhaps because its depicting women as holes/legs for men to emotionlessly use? The way the man is staring into the camera doesn't make it look like he's very engaged with the woman he's "loving".

I never said "loving." And yeah, he's not engaged, but the woman seems to be, with her legs tossed into the air like that. Maybe he's the one being used here, as he doesn't seem to be getting any enjoyment out of the whole affair. More likely, i think that the movie is probably about some rear end in a top hat who does think exactly what you said there, and that's why the poster is fitting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Speaking of recycled posters. Which was first?

This?

Or This?

I have that last poster in my door, and it's weird (and so lazy) that they decided to use an old photo for the one of the sequels. Unless the first one is poster that was made later...

I like this one, even if the posters doesn't tell us anything about the movie:

I love for that last one that they just put some random demon that doesn't resemble anything in the actual film on it. Also, yeah, the Hellraiser 3 one there is recycled from the original. If you've ever seen Hellraiser 3, you will know that creativity and being...well...good, were not exactly in that movies wheelhouse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

"I liked the movie better"- Stephen King, on the cover of The Running Man

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I think this cover for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is pretty cool:

That's a pretty good cover, but the back is a pretty major spoiler for the end of the previous movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's this. Great job, Miramax! That helped!

What the ffffff....I'm so happy I still have my DVD copy...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sorry, I've never heard of that. Is this common everywhere?

Pretty much, yeah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_ring_%28animal%29#Pig_rings

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rubber Slug posted:

I've never seen the movie, but Gomorrah had a pretty sick poster.

Why does a giant need a handgun?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be hilarious if they made a Question movie as people would complain that it is a Rorschach rip off. Also if they do make it, it should be the O'neil Question not the Objectivist one.

It should be an adaptation of the issue where he reads Watchmen and then tries to act like Rorschach, but in the end decides that Rorschach sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are we still on Crow chat? Because I will defend Wicked Prayer as being the funniest movie I saw the entire year it came out until the death. It has David Boreanaz in a post-Angel/pre-Bones career slump, and he just had no fucks to give, at all. He over acts in every single scene he's in, chewing scenery on the same level as Nic Cage at times. He screams "hurry up and make me the loving anti-christ!" at the top of his lungs at one point.

And it has Dennis Hopper as a satanic priest who talks exclusively in 70's jive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite thing about it is that Gosling is on that poster FOUR times.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

I'm so old! :cripes:

Also never heard of that movie, though I recognise the poster from threads like this. Maybe it didn't get a wide European release.

Go watch the Rocketeer, right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kiimo posted:

Not at all, hope I didn't.

Incidentally, I was just thinking how people in advertising might convince themselves that what they are creating is art.

It occurred to me what Vincent Van Gogh might think if he was alive and saw that Midnight in Paris poster.

I'm thinking suicide bombing.

"Oh thank god thank god does this mean I'll get money for food so I don't starve to death???" Is more what I'm thinking.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Guy Pearce what happened to you? You were great in LA Confidential and Memento :(

Didn't he turn down a role in Batman Begins and then do an interview saying he thought comic book movies were ridiculous and stupid? I know for sure at least the second part of that is true, but I don't remember if it was ever confirmed he was offered a BB role, or just heavily rumored.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So it is as true as the The Amityville Horror

Or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre or any other horror movie that claims that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

That artist and that font will stick with me forever, I used to read the gently caress out of that magazine growing up. Is it still around?

Yeah, MAD is still around. But it's one of those things where you should pretend it was cancelled in the 80's and never, ever look at any new issues of it under any circumstance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

His early stuff was quite good, but yeah, by the time Vicious Circle happened he seemed to think every syllable out of his mouth was pure gold, no matter how stupid and rambling. Now that I've said that, rambling really seems to be what made Vicious Circle so bad. Each little story he tells was quick, concise, and funny in his early stuff, but later on every one of his stories or jokes gets stretched out to 15 minutes and just goes on long past when it stopped being interesting.

Kind of like how late 80's, early 90's SNL decided 15 minute sketches were great, even though they stopped being funny after the first 2 minutes.

I had a friend who I think summed it up best when he said something along these lines:

There are comedians like Bill Cosby who can go out on a stage and just make poo poo up, and they'll be funny. They can go out there with no real game plan, just a vague idea of what they're going to talk about, and it will usually be loving hilarious. Dane Cook is not Bill Cosby.

His earlier works, like his Comedy Central Presents special and his first couple of albums were alright, but Vicious Circle was pretty much the moment he decided that he could just start talking about whatever and people would still eat it up. That coupled with the joke stealing accusations, over exposure, and his awful frat boy fanbase are what made people turn on him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joe Der Maus posted:

My favorite use of review quotes on a poster is from the movie If...
I can't seem to find it online, but if you have the Criterion edition, it's in the booklet.
One side has a list of quotes praising the film and the other has quotes calling the movie vile and whatnot. Somewhere on it it tells the viewer to see the movie and decide for them self.

This isn't a poster thing, but the Matrix films did a similar thing with their commentaries. One commentary was two philosophers who really liked the films, and the other was two critics who thought they all sucked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Ok, I could have been completely drunk when I saw this in the theaters...but wasn't there a scene where Gabriel Byrne (Satan) had a threesome with a mother and daughter and during it they merged into one women or something? :stare:

So what you're really saying here is that Gabriel Byrne is Stardust The Super Wizard, right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Wasn't there a scene like that in the Devil's Advocate too? Or I'm getting confused?

Speaking of the devil, I kinda like this one. The way the characters are standing is, in my opinion, an eerie "I'm behind you,always":

Then we have the regular floating heads,flames and bored looking Keanu:

Man, that doesn't even remotely look like Keanu Reeves in the bottom poster. At least the DVD has the top one as it's art, despite being a loving god awful snap case.

And no, there was no scene like that in that movie, but the devil's entire plan was to get Keanu Reeves, who was secretly his son or something, to gently caress this other chick, who was his daughter, and also Keanu's sister, so that she could give birth to the antichrist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To be fair, that would probably be a better movie than the real Secretariat was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody tell Todd McFarlin to make a figure of him punching a wolf from his last movie.

I was going to say that this wouldn't work because that never actually happens in the Grey, but then again, that's never stopped Todd McFarlane before, as he made two figures of the Blair Witch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echoplex posted:

Kristanna Loken :(

Why does everyone like Kristanna Loken? She has literally never been in anything good. From Mortal Kombat: Conquest to T3 to Painkiller Jane to Bloodrayne, everything she is in is absolute poo poo, and she is poo poo in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echoplex posted:

I feel bad for anyone whose career clearly doesn't pan out they way they'd hope. Doing stuff like this is obviously a paycheque but at what point do you think about giving up on your dream and getting an office job? The fall from grace from T3 (relatively speaking) must have hurt.

I don't know man, it's probably bad, but it's not any worse than MK: Conquest was I bet. She probably feels at home doing horrible b-grade stuff now. She should run with it, and become the female equivalent of Bruce Campbell.

E: VVV Touche.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 11, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

You could probably just make a Saints Row character that looks like Nicolas Cage, and it would fit.

The canon Saint's Row boss is Jason Statham from Crank, sorry :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Croisquessein posted:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered MK: Conquest.

I'm doing an entire series of articles on it over at the website I write for as part of a marathon of all Mortal Kombat related tv and films. It's...it's real, real bad. I'm trying to find the positives in every episode, but it's hard to loving do for some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Why do you think they added co-op?

EDIT: Imagine THAT movie, now weep because it doesn't exist.

If the Crank guys have their way, it might actually be Crank 3. It's been something that people have brought up ever since it was announced they were doing the new Ghost Rider, and they actually acknowledged that they would love to have Cage in Crank 3 in an interview they did. So there is hope :unsmith: