Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
From earlier:

Struzan blends his heads with the backgrounds and light, which is a totally different thing than changing the opacitiy on the head layer in photoshop. I'm not actually a huge fan of his Blade Runner cover - I prefer the original - but the way he utilises the floating head is the opposite of lazy.

His BTTF1 poster is one of my favorites. Wish I had a quad version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Ez posted:

Oooh ya got me. Except I wasn't talking about sperging in this thread, I was speaking about goons in general.

Typography is hugey, hugely important. It's an art. A lot of 'goons' have taken to recognising one or two standard fonts and ranting about them, much in the same way that many of them in CD cling to the "praaaaaactical effeeects" bandwagon because it's the fast-track way to looking like a Film Connoisseur.

However, rather that than the other instance on here were someone was raging "why does it even matter" that Papyrus was on the Avatar poster, and that it wasn't important. This why we have such terrible posters now, because execs know that people will swallow any old poo poo and that the details don't matter.

It was mind blowing to see someone post 'lol u care about something' when discussing art - albeit commercial art.

Desperado Bones posted:

But then we have this:

I like this. Immediately evocative of the TV movie, and actually quite chilling. I really like Radcliffe and I'm excited to see him in this. The posters showing him beardy and sleep-deprived is a GREAT way to break him out of Potterdom.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 28, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

bobkatt013 posted:

Also showing his dick on stage

Forgot about that. Also I just watched the trailer and it looks really naff, so balls to it all.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I could've sworn 16 Blocks had a cover with a similar layout but I can't find it. So I'm probably wrong.

That was the first thing I looked for too. Must be the typeface.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

kiimo posted:

edit: even if Brandon Lee did not.

Best CD post.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's a terrible poster:

This poster is at least 13 years out of date.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Desperado Bones posted:

Not a vagina made of blood, but it's illusory to a scene were :nms: a clitoris is snipped with scissors:nms:.

Look at the shape.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

GonSmithe posted:

I was born in '92

Jesus christ, how are you even allowed to operate a computer

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Who is the idiot on the left of the poster? I don't do comics.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Time means anything in film production? There have been films that took 50 years to get made. Stuff like early sci-fi from Dick and Asimov got optioned back in the 50's, and many of the stories are still in production hell. Rights get passed from owner to owner, studio to studio, endless drafts of screen plays, it goes on forever. 10 years to get a film going is nothing out of the ordinary.

True, but that's not exactly relevant when we're talking about a pop culture franchise. 10 years between second sequels is really pushing it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Why does Smith have jowls?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Kristanna Loken :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

TheJoker138 posted:

Why does everyone like Kristanna Loken? She has literally never been in anything good. From Mortal Kombat: Conquest to T3 to Painkiller Jane to Bloodrayne, everything she is in is absolute poo poo, and she is poo poo in it.

I feel bad for anyone whose career clearly doesn't pan out they way they'd hope. Doing stuff like this is obviously a paycheque but at what point do you think about giving up on your dream and getting an office job? The fall from grace from T3 (relatively speaking) must have hurt.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
What a crap tagline that is for Hanna.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm just gonna assume that Gina Gershon is under that Burqua.

Jesus christ, did someone find the portrait of Robert Patrick that was kept in his attic? Dude looks old all of a sudden. I thought it was a badly photoshopped John Hurt for a second there (John Hurt is the oldest man in the universe).

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
One way to ensure DVD sales: make it look like a lovely, generic action film.

:(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think the beauty of the BTTF2 product placements was that they were sort of in on the joke, and the brand was happy to be attached to whatever ridiculous format that they were presented in, so it felt less insidious.

The whole "vintage converse" thing from I, Robot still leaves a bad taste and I don't even know how many loving years it's been since that film came out. 10?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This whole British invasion thing going on is messing with my loving head. Ayoade next to stiller, Cornish working for Spielberg? What planet do I live on?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MorgaineDax posted:

Oh look, finally a poster is made so people can't complain that the names don't match the order of the faces! Are you happy now, Sockser?

Wow, this is the most 90s poster I've seen in quite some time. If that Helvetica was in italics it'd be indistinguishable from period - look at the costumes! Is it set in the 90s? Abbie Cornish's shoes are.

(I like it).

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Wouldn't kill them to smile, would it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mierenneuker posted:

Gotta keep those Tumblrs rebloggin' Tumblers

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Improbable Lobster posted:

So are the little guys supposed to be on the robot's shoulder?

*Edit* because it looks like a fuckup to me.

You think you'd be the first person to notice the people there, or something?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bugblatter posted:

Well having the camera die in the middle of a take and not knowing when it would be operation again is a little different from what he's talking about. The film equivalent would be something like shooting with rolls of unknown length leading to unpredictable roll-outs... and then not knowing where your other mags are.

But yes, the RED One was a poorly designed camera with frequent headaches.

The best thing about the RED One was when the fans would go beserk so you couldn't shoot sound. GREAT JOB GUYS.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
You are like, crazy-agressive every time you post. Chill. It's just a movie poster thread.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vagabundo posted:

I honestly can not make heads or tails of this mess. What the hell is going on in this poster?

I have a lot of more serious cultural black holes, but I'm sort of tempted to marathon the first 4 of these and then go see the 5th. I've never played the games, and all I know about the series is the unskippable trailer for the first one on my copy of 28 Days Later.

They keep being made for a reason, I guess, and I am compelled to understand that.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Handsome Dead posted:

In all the build up, I totally forgot Kate Beckinsale was in this. Now my interest level returns to zero.

I wonder if Beckinsale ever plans to be in a good film.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEANT

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HoldYourFire posted:

The World's End already sounds like Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

And what an excellent film that was.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
nowt to see here

echoplex fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 21, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

homerlaw posted:

I really like that :shobon:, I like "prop" posters; it's an ad for THE Jurassic Park, that's cool to me.

But even then it's entirely at odds with the film's style? The prop artwork was a representative and stylised version of the already stylised "reality" of the film:

It's a nice bit of work, I guess, just kinda pointless.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That poster will be the Facebook profile photo for a million lonely, middle-aged Wiccan women.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
And then never get laid again.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also I'm pretty sure a wooden carriage falls off a cliff and explodes.

Started reading this page from the bottom and I knew straight away what film this was about.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I will still never understand how the BTTF3 and Predator 2 score can sound the same. But they really do (Silvestri, not Horner, but similar point)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Robert Denby posted:

So a lot of people have been saying that "Movie 43" looks like some continuation of the apparently godawful "Underground Comedy Movie". Well, guess what...

This movie is literally from the people behind "Underground Comedy Movie", and I'm willing to guess its been shelved for a few years but is now getting a release thanks to the similar "Movie 43".

EDIT: I just noticed something odd. Ari Shaffir is top-billed in the credit block at the bottom (in addition to being a co-writer), but is not featured at the cast list on the top of the poster. Also, Freestyle Releasing is the same distributor that put "The Nutcracker in 3D", "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell", "In the Name of the King", "Postal", "Seed", "Dragon Wars", and "Delgo" into theaters. Hoo boy...

Jesus loving Christ.

I've seen worse films posted in here, but something about this is bleaker than I can really deal with.

I hope Brody got a good paycheque or at least had a good time. No-one deserves this.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

For an image devoid any actual real content, that's the most 90's image I've seen in a while.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Stallone looks like if he brushed up against a wet bramble he'd explosively de-pressurise.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dick Trauma posted:

I liked the initial parts of the trailer but it looks like it very quickly turns into a standard shoot 'em up. That's the problem with what passes for sci fi sometimes: they try to establish a strange, alien setting and then quickly fill it up with the usual bullshit.

It looks like it's going to be incredibly beautiful but Morgan Freeman and especially Tom Cruise are cinematic death for me. Watching Tom Cruise in a film is like watching someone else go on a theme park ride based on a film. He's a terrible actor and an annoying persona.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I want him dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I love that Primer poster - love it to death - but it's missing it's fairly fantastic tagline.

None of Primer's budget went into craft services.