Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'm having a really hard time reading his expression.

It's "Jesus, this light in my eyes is really bright."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

And this Hungarian poster for Shame is said to have been banned. No tits or genitals, but maybe I should just link it in case it's :nws:.
http://i.imgur.com/ZQSzJ.jpg

That's pretty gross.

I mean, it's effective and I get what they were going for, but ew.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Although they could had used another type of Comic book font that wasn't Comic Sans. Like the Red Tails poster did. My boss would always avoid Comic Sans like the plague.

Comic Sans is largely based on the artist of Watchmen whose name is escaping me's handwriting in Watchmen, and he's come out as saying that he is both flattered and ashamed of that fact.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Atasi posted:

No matter how weird the rest of the movie is, it's all worth it because the movie version of Smooth Criminal is the best music video ever made, hands down.

Look at this person being 100% right.

edit-
For content, I saw this on blu-ray.com and laughed at how silly Malkovich looks:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 9, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy drat, are you ready for a doozy?

So, for The Hunger Games, they're releasing a brand of nail polish colors for this ridiculous looking woman from the books, and here is the ad:

Yes, she's supposed to look like an eccentric pale prostitute, apparently. In any case, that poster is pretty okay.

Now, there's also a few other ads on the main site for other products from other characters from the capitol in the novels. The second one is a bit ridiculous, but it makes sense since apparently everyone from the capitol is ridiculous. Here we have Lenny Kravits as Cinna, with some gold eyeliner.

Click here for a motion ad in which he blinks and the background moves and stuff.

Now here's where it starts to go bad.

Hey, let's just cut out boxes and paste them on the ad! Sounds like a great idea! Also, click here for motion ad in which his beard gets shaved into the above.

And the reason I even started this post:

That is Stanley Tucci. Apparently someone has been playing Face Lift with his face.
(Click here for shining).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

For the last one, I think he's supposed to look that way. In the book the dude's like 80 or whatever and has had plastic surgery more than any modern celebrity or person. The eyebrows are really throwing me off though.

He looks just fine in the new trailer. I mean, besides the blue hair and everything.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, having read the books I don't know how I feel about those posters. They're objectively awful, but the Capitol is supposed to be built around a lifestyle of garish conspicuous consumption so those posters being so awful fits right in with the story.

Either way, Cinna looks dreamy :allears:

Yeah, see, I don't fault them for fitting the fact they're supposed to be garish. I actually like the first two for fitting that theme. The boxes thing and Stanley Tucci not looking anything like himself or a real human being are not okay, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I adore this poster:

Regardless of your thoughts about the movie itself, the poster's got a neat art deco vibe. I had it hanging on my wall as a kid (that I ruined with a bunch of pushpins) and have another mint one waiting for a frame.
This poster is still hanging in the movie theater closest to me. I remember it being there ever since I was a child (considering I was born in '92 that makes sense), and it seriously brings back amazing memories of going to the movies with my mom.

I should probably buy that poster.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

westborn posted:

colinFIRTHTHEgeoffreyRUSHKING'SSPEECHhelenaBONHAMCARTER is such an odd name for a movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So I was just thinking about maybe buying a The Artist poster, and I see this on the page:

Am I missing something here? This is seriously garbage and I can't tell what it has to do with the movie at all.

edit- Just looked at the cast. Looks like it's in the wrong section. Either way, what a lovely poster.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Flashing Twelve posted:

Man I don't get mondotees deal at all. They make these really beautiful, intricate, interesting posters and then limit it to runs of like, 400, which sell out in under a half hour of being put on their website, no reprints ever. They're missing out on a ridiculous amount of cash right there.

30 minutes? Try 30 seconds.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I think this has been posted in here, but I'll do it again:

This was Mondo's poster for Hugo for the Oscars. I like some of their stuff, but a lot of it is really not that good.

This one, on the other hand, is the first one I felt like I needed to own. Partially because I love Hugo, and partially because I really think it's a beautiful, simple poster. My wallet is weeping a little, but all it means is that I need to not buy a video game for a while, oh no!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

Let's not forget the incredible Hover A-Team.

Hahahahaha what the gently caress. There is no way this was actually released. No way. I don't believe it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

She's the grim reaper in the movie, though. Why wouldn't she know everything/be hyper competent?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy hell, the blu-ray cover for The Artist is so awful.

Actually, it's not awful. It's just painfully average, and nowhere near as good compared to the other posters. I don't understand why they couldn't have just gone with this:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'd take any of those covers over the Special Edition Movie Tin Version.

It's the size of a disc.

That reminds me of when I was planning on buying the special-edition of Tron: Legacy/Tron on blu-ray, that came in a disc:

And then I saw this video and realized it was tiny and you literally had to take the discs out one by one to get to them.

Some marketing decisions, I swear to god.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Nybble posted:

I was going to make a post earlier (but it got eaten) that said essentially this (but adding the Spaceballs "MERCHANDISING!" clip). My young cousins love Cars toys. It's like most kids obsessions with Hot Wheels, but cars that have pre-determined personalities. Disney had to have made so much money off of the toys alone to make it worth making Cars 2, while Ratatouille, while being a great movie, probably had little in the way of merchandise.

They were going to release a bottle of wine for Ratatouille, but it got banned because they used a cartoon mouse as the logo (you're not allowed to use cartoonish things on alcohol, lest kids think it's for them).

But yeah, Cars has made something insane like 3 or 4 billion dollars for Disney on merchandising alone.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is the square of darker grey around the ring a stylistic choice or a cock-up? It's seem a bit amateurish for such arch posters-are-art folk.

Hahaha. He literally took an image right from google and put it on the poster, definitely.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

penismightier posted:

Yeah that's what I like about it, it's overwhelmingly vertical. The gradient helps too. I feel like I'm in a hot air balloon when I look at it. And then when I focus in on the title, which is very w i d e, I get a slight rush of expansion.

I don't know what the movie's about and what the tone even is, but that poster is evocative as hell.

The trailer got released today, it's over in the trailer thread.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Have to say kiimo, don't really like this one:

Is that baby actually even there?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Prof. Numbers posted:

These were rare? Guess I shouldn't have tossed mine.

It is a great poster, but I like the imagery because it's classic and restrained, unlike the movie.

They're only selling for $10~ on eBay, so don't beat yourself up too much.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

uPen posted:

So how do you get these, just sit there refreshing for 8 hours and hope you refresh during the 10 second buying window?

Yep, that exactly.

Oh, and you also have to hope you can get your credit card information in and get through checkout before they sell out also.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

A rapper (RZA), a pro wrestler (Bautista), Lucy Liu, and Russell Crowe. I am optomistic this could be a fun movie.

Here's a still they released from the film today:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/U6X0v.jpg :nws:
For those who are squeemish it's a guy getting his eye punched out of his head, so if that sounds like something you can't handle, don't click that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jasta posted:

I've always loved all the action happening on the cover of my copy of Guerrilla War.

That guy is a dead ringer for Will Ferell.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

kiimo posted:

Oh I don't get to either. It's funny, the people who have to go don't want to and the people who have to stay are jealous.

Also all I was saying about the Steelers is that putting a football team in a comic book movie just seems kind of silly, especially when they all fall into a sinkhole and then I added the Steelers comment just because I don't really like the Steelers (nobody in America does save Pittsburgh) which is really neither here nor there.

Tinker Tailor and Inception are definitely on my list of movies I missed and should watch whenever I actually get free time again.

For more Tom Hardy, please refer to Bronson (in which he is the main character), and Warrior (EVERYONE loving WATCH WARRIOR).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Noxville posted:

He's eating a sandwich, you can see his little hands holding it.
Hahahaha, Jesus Christ.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Thinking about buying this, as Lebowski is my favorite film of all time.. Yay or Nay? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BIG-LEBOWSKI...#ht_3139wt_1037

quote:

This poster is divided in to 8 separate sections to make the giant art poster.

You will receive all 16 sections when purchasing. Each sections is

A3 size (42.6 x 30.3 cm / 16.5 x 11.7")

and is printed on to 250gms glossy thin card, witch ensures a very long lasting poster.
And it's a reproduction. Hell no.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jesus Christ :stonk:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure they stopped this one in order to make that one.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Machete fan made poster to go with all the Machete Kills talk:

Mondo Goonies poster:

Note about the Mondo one: It didn't sell out where they were selling it, so it's gonna be sold online at some point soon. Also the gold is metallic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jasta posted:

Agreed. It was bad casting in the first place. Poor makeup just makes it worse.

Whoa whoa whoa. I think he looked absolutely amazing in the trailers. That poster? Not so much. But he looks like he's literally embodying Bruce Willis in the trailers, and the makeup looks seamless.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

The guy on the right looks stoned out of his mind, and the Hunger Games dude looks like he just poo poo his pants. And now I want the original Red Dawn poster on my wall.

The guy on the right is Josh from the Nickelodeon show, Drake and Josh.

I had no idea he decided to actually try real acting. Looking through his IMDB, he actually has been in a few things. Huh.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

:stonk:
What the gently caress happened to YOUR FACE!?!?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PJStelford posted:

This. This I like. Any idea where prints could be gotten for us filthy American imperialists?

http://www.moviepostershop.com/chicken-with-plums-movie-poster-2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

Speaking of dognapping:

I don't even care what this movie is about, that is an awesome cast.

I poo poo you not, I thought they labeled the dog on this poster as #2 for a second.

On that note, I'd watch Christopher Walken: The Tale of a Psychopathic Dog any day.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

That person on the left is not Michael Sheen.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It's cool to see that Steven Spielberg has the means to travel back in time and bring President Lincoln back to shoot a movie.

Also here's one that isn't image-leeching:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Good lord. That is an astonishing likeness.

See also:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sheldrake posted:

Richard Jenkins is becoming Bryan Cranston. Good career move.

I honestly thought it was Matthew Fox in old-guy makeup for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Young Freud posted:

No. Not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSIK4lEYGk

If you think that tagline is good, just wait to you see who says it in the trailer.

As if you needed to give me another reason to watch this movie. Jesus.