Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

To tie this back in with movie posters, here's the excellent poster for Battle Royale:

Note that even in the original Japanese poster they use English words, "Battle Royale Survival Program". Given that the film is promoted using English words, and the name is officially "Battle Royale" and not "Having a Time on Island With Killer Children From School", I'll call it "Battle Royale".
That poster is in Chinese, not Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This earlier version wasn't too bad I thought.

It's one of the reasons I remember this movie quite clearly. It's different.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Speaking of "The Hangover", I suspect there was recently a pitch meeting that went "We've got a generic kids movie set on Halloween. How do we market it?"

Here's a huge version of the center of the poster. It looks like everyone is sitting in front of a rear projection screen.

Dude in the middle is checking out chick's rack so bad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I haven't seen The Town. Or MI:4. Gotta get on it. Jesse James... He's fine in bit parts, but a leading man he is not.

This is funny to me somehow:

The picture kinda works with the words: "The best weapon is deadliness packed under the guise of normality."

Also irrelevant but the Chinese name of the movie is literally "Crisis from the Sky".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

Same thing with the trees in Vader's mask.
I just saw that

woah

Here's some lens flare

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 21, 2012

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The unnatural shape of that head really freaks me out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What expressions are their faces supposed to show? I get that Paul Rudd is having a little "oh you" face because he's been denied but Tina Fey looks almost ponderous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That is such a bad poster it hurts my head to see it so many times.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

His arms are in more of an awkward position than Chris Evans's on the Captain America poster

What's wrong with that poster? Except that he looks apologetic and un-American :patriot:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's pretty cool that you can only see Goode and Kidman's faces in the reflection. And Kidman looks in particular freaky as hell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Here's the international poster for Les Miserables:

It's a boring heads in the clouds poster. You've got your blockbuster megastars and a love story. I don't think they're convinced the Les Miserables name will sell the film internationally.

The one with young Cosette is my favourite:

The tagline isn't doing it for me though. Could apply to about a million other epics.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 8, 2012

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's not the trend.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Standing in front of something isn't, but maybe standing facing away from the viewer into the background, framed by dark shapes in the foreground, is?

This is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For a small company they sure have some big names voicing their characters

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo that chick at 4:00. So that's where all the alien voices are coming from.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

Anyway, for content:

I don't know about you, but I'm going to go watch "Return to OZ" again.
Is this poster entirely in CGI or something? She doesn't look real at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I like the contrast between the glossy, airbrushed faces and Wasikowska's hosed up hands.
This feels too polished for me. Also the words look like a tagline from Disaster Movie or something. I like the other poster, it was freaky as hell the first time I saw it and noticed the details (reflections, blood on face).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

And the guy with the dagger who's apparently at the beginning of a very long jump

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What the hell is wrong with their necks?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who okay-ed that poster? It looks like a love story with dreamy Ryan Gosling staring into forever. Not what comes to mind when I think of Gangster Squad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I love this movie, but its posters are pretty bad:

First poster looks like a coming-of-age film, second looks like a tropical Devil's Advocate, third looks like a plain old mystery film. They sure have cast their net wide.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can read this in my head only with a bad German accent converting every W into a V. And it's a better movie for that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

This just makes me uncomfortable.

Third on the list but not featured in the poster. Olivia Wilde has a funny agent working for her.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why is he so angry at falling down? You'd think they'd want to show him with eyes closed or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only reason the mask is off is probably so people can say "Oh my god it's Robert Downey Junior!"

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 31, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Those are loving awesome, especially that Ponyo one. Not sure what's going on with that redhead's face in Porco Rosso though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The tagline doesn't do anything for me though. It obviously talks about racism but what's "greatness"? It's too vague.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wow how do you make a bad poster out of a movie like Blade Runner?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

User-Friendly posted:

Why does this one say "Edward James Olmost"?
Because he was in the film?

Every version of this poster I can find cuts off the characters' heads.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 14, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's.. a turd.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that supposed to be his reflection? It feels very much like he's gonna to fall off the bottom of my screen :ohdear:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

I like the Les Misérables mondo poster.

The "les" being in red is kinda stupid, but other than that, it looks good.
Meh, this doesn't capture the theme of the film at all. Could have been made by an Enjolras fangirl for all it mattered.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do people really bring an extra pair of shorts and shoes for... heists or whatever?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So she brought a gun and knuckle dusters to Spring Break? That gets crazier, man.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that the real poster? I can't imagine them marketing another Hunger Games movie without making Jennifer Lawrence's face as large as possible and with the words "Oscar winner".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

80s sex is so ethereal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That brown-jacketed man looks nothing like Spiderman, I could not recognise him.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Anything to get kids to read classics, I have no problem with that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

A little closer to the territory of movie posters, of which there have been gently caress all of late, I saw this response to The Last Exorcism Part 2 on my travels and it made me chuckle a little.

Careful, it's pretty close to a swastika.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Harry Potter poster is funnier if you imagine Voldemort is giving Harry the finger.

e: god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hey man don't be hating, everybody just loves their pink scribbly fonts