Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

So I was browsing blu-ray.com's new reviews and I see this monstrosity:

Oh my god, they changed the name. I saw this flick when it was called Vs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836212/) and it sucks So. Hard.

The Q&A featured the director bragging about James Remar being a family friend and only doing this movie because of that, if that's any indication of the sort of person that would make this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DNS posted:

Haha. What was the movie about/like?

It was a bizarre, unfocused mishmash of found footage, horror, Kick-rear end, and Chronicle, while never actually living up to the potential of any of that. It honestly felt like the 'You know what would be cool?' school of filmmaking where they just tried to shoehorn everything they liked into the script with no regard for whether or not it'd fit with the story they were telling. Absolutely not worth your time.

e: also a lot of the 'reviews' and comments on the imdb page read like the director/crew wrote them.

Actually, as I say it, you know who the writer/director/star reminded me of, in terms of his motivation to make the film and ownership over the project? That Tony Tango guy.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 29, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's like a weird Ear Human Centipede going on in that poster. I can't unsee it now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

VagueRant posted:

On an unrelated note, can anyone explain what the hell this Star Trek '09 poster is? The thruster thing kinda looks like the ship, but all the other shapes and the direction of the...Stuff says otherwise?

It's the ship, but it's just obscured to create mystery around the ship design I guess? It seems more like a teaser poster than anything else to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Bunohan: Return to Murder is coming to the US on VOD and digital platforms, and the poster and trailer are already selling it too much as an action movie.

While there are a couple of muay thai fights and several people getting murdered, the movie is more about the personal conflicts of the 3 brothers that are the main characters. In other words, lots of talking. That said, it is a bit like Bullet To The Head and Jack Reacher in that it's all really about real estate. It also gets pretty surreal at times; there's a 'crocodile spirit' lady, and the beginning apparently breaks the 4th wall.

I think I like the 'pile of skulls' poster better.

Of course, when it was in cinemas in Malaysia they used this one:

I do like that each brother is holding something relevant to their professions, and the antagonist is the only one looking away from the viewer.

I saw this a couple of years ago at the Toronto Film Festival and holy christ was I mad that this wasn't actually an action film. The trailer was also cut together to make it look like Ong Bak 4, but it turned out that the action sequences in the trailer were literally all the action in the movie. I probably would've liked it more if I'd known what it was going in, but I left feeling angry. Thanks, Marketing Department!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Man, is that a Schwa alien sticker on the big block o' drugs at the bottom right? That's going back a few years to the early days of the internet :)

James Franco's character is named Alien in the movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I've been staying away from remakes since for a while,and because I loved Let the Right one In I've been staying away from that remake. Is it really good? Really,really good? I won't come back here to scream at you guys? :ohdear:

There's stuff they touch on in that movie that the original leaves out of the book. I'd say that the two movies and the book are all worth consuming as they all have their merits.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

schwenz posted:

This is kind of cool

What a fun poster. I hope that sees release by Festival season this year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ShufflerZero posted:

Chapter 10: Some movies just seem made for each other.

MURDER!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Crudup looks like a grown up Russel Hammond :allears:

Well he kind of is. I like to imagine a world where a grown-up Stillwater is running scams and doing contract killings.

Totally down for this movie as well though. That trailer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

That Tony Scott movie with Chris Pine and Denzel about a runaway train and Atlas Shrugged both come to mind.

The first movie was abysmal enough that I didn't watch the second, but the Atlas Shrugged posters are actually kinda good.

Okay not this one which makes it look like a bad Canadian forensics show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To be fair, back then EVERYTHING had a Matrix-like scene.

even Deuce Bigelow!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The last thing I saw Harnett in was the absurd, generally not-great Bunraku.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181795/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bowser posted:

I love Aubrey Plaza, but she doesn't pass as a highschooler.

Bill Hader looks like he face-melded with Timothy Olyphant here. I actually had to imdb this movie to figure out which of the two was in this. So gently caress you, poster, for making me do research into the poo poo movie you're hawking.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Thats one career I'll never understand. I never found Andie MacDowell all that good looking even, she has the presence of a shower rod but also the build of one. I've never seen her in anything where her performance wasn't completely forgettable.

Um, let me show you a little movie called, oh I don't know, HUDSON HAWK?

Actually, looking back, she was even the worst part of *that* movie. And David Caruso is in that movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Goddamn 'women' raunchy comedies, taking up valuable multiplex screens that could be better used by sequels to The Other Guys and more entries in the Grown Ups franchise

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bridesmaids
Domestic Total Gross: $169,106,725

What a poo poo movie that made $169 million dollars :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alicia Witt, you could've been something. What happened

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Raid Redemption 2: A Gareth Edwards Gado-Gado

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

schwenz posted:

This is a MONDO poster I believe.

I just saw this yesterday and while it doesn't hold a candle to the original poster, I like that they have the redacted credits in there. When the credits roll on the movie, something like 60% of the names are listed as Anonymous, even for things like choreography and relatively minor crew roles.

Actually, the more I look at it the more I like it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

New, kind of lazy but still creepy, poster for this scary-looking movie, Proxy.

quote:

While walking home from her latest OB appointment, a very pregnant Esther Woodhouse is brutally attacked and disfigured by a hooded assailant. This horrible event seems to be a blessing in disguise when Esther finds consolation in a support group. Her life of sadness and solitude is opened up to friendship, understanding, and even acceptance. However, friendship and understanding can be very dangerous things when accepted by the wrong people.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it still upcoming if it's already been released on demand? :v:

I've seen it. It's not good. It's REALLY not good. Trust me. Birdemic is a more entertaining movie. The production values in this are marginally better than Birdemic but it's just not fun to watch in any way. Even Lindsay Lohan's 4 way sex scene is boring as gently caress to watch.

It's truly one of the most bafflingly horrible things I've ever seen, and Lohan has nothing to do with this. In fact, her and Deen are actually pretty decent given what they have to work with in this terrible script.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I saw Necessary Roughness in the theatre when they wouldn't let me into Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. I probably got the better end of that deal.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's a nice poster for the new Ti West. I like it, wrinkly edges and all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Two posters I saw and liked recently:

Afflicted - this makes more sense when you see the movie, but the concept is two guys take a trip around the world and real bad stuff happens to them, so it's simultaneously a city map and a grotesque head injury.

Why Don't You Play In Hell - kind of a surreal, Japanese remake of Bowfinger or Cecil B. Demented, this one's about a young director who's willing to literally die in order to make a great film. It's a little tonally darker than the film gets, but I still like it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

penismightier posted:

This one's gorgeous:

I've been hearing amazing things about this flick all through TIFF but couldn't get into a screening. Hopefully it got distribution.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Doesn't tell you much about the movie on the surface but I still like it and would put it on my wall.

alternate version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2359024/

It's an absolutely stunning, ruthless revenge flick. Here's a review that only spoils about 5-10 minutes of the beginning: http://twitchfilm.com/2013/05/cannes-2013-blue-ruin-or-revenge-is-a-pain-in-the-rear end.html

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 17, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

The alternate one looks cheap as poo poo, definitely prefer the drawn one with funky colours.

I suspect the drawn one is more official and the alternate was just to shop the movie around festivals.

http://blueruinmovie.com/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I Before E posted:

WWE Films must be getting adventurous.

Honestly through the whole movie I was like 'D-Bry nooo'.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Santa with Muscles, if I remember correctly, was the film debut of Mila Kunis.

Sure was!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well if you wanted to make me pine for the worst of the worst minimalist posters in this thread to bleach out my brain, Lars Von Trier, you've done your job.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

These posters are outstanding: a great idea, beautifully executed. These are probably the best posters to come out in ages. I feel sorry for you if you're stuck with the kind of repressed puritan mindset that would drive you to want to 'bleach your brain' to get rid of the images.

The posters are doing what they intended to do and I don't hate them, just wish I'd seen them after lunch or maybe a few hours before a "never eat anything again" diet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

And he seems to be the only director giving Goldblum anything to do.

Not a movie but Goldblum on Portlandia is loving masterful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Now I can't unsee the cute googly eyes. Thanks guys. Thanks for nothing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's a huge copy/paste job from the looks of it. Meh.

I have no idea how they are going to top the original but fuckin' right I'm going to watch to see.

The footage I've seen from it looks astoundingly good. Hammer Girl? Yeah, watch out for Hammer Girl.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Please let my life end before we see Enter The Muppet Void or Muppetcholia.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This movie is not great and is directed by a person that literally no one knows because he wears a mask and spouts a lot of pretentious nonsense on Twitter and elsewhere, but I kind of like the second one which kind of makes it look like a remake of Newsies gone hilariously wrong. I still love the backhanded compliment they put on the theatrical poster though (IIRC, Knowles posted that on Day 2 or 3 of a ten-day film festival).

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 29, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Is it a remake of Children At Play or a remake of that British PSA where all the kids die horribly on a farm?

No, it's a remake of Who Can Kill A Child which is pretty good actually.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tagline of the year.

Also, let's play 'guess what this word cloud represents' in the teaser for Expendables 3.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maarak posted:

The Expendables posters being static shots of the stars standing around trying to look tough is at least honesty in advertising.

I guess. I'd call it a kind of aggressive laziness rather than honesty though. I'm hoping Expendables 4 has those names with the actual Minutes:seconds of screen time that each has. Now that's honesty.