Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Uh-uh. No way. No way in hell that second one is real. How many people had to okay that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I want to make a pulp fiction poster, but I just can't remember themes or events from the film. I guess I'll just visualize famously trivial dialogue instead.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'm really hoping they top the birds' screen time in this one by having them appear once, in the last five minutes.

The funniest parts of Birdemic came pre-birds.

"I get it, lovers on the moon!"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Teaser for Lars von Trier's latest.

I don't know, should I link it with :nws: tags?

Every single thing this Director has done in his career seems carefully and meticulously planned to piss me off more and more. Though I guess he peaked with The Five Obstructions

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

On top of everything else, the dude is getting Shia laid.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bad moon posters

What do the other dots represent?

Why is that one "moon" in bold?

Why is the poster implying it's Gerty's story?

Why are Gerty's eyes moons besides "lol its called moon"?

The focus on the Gery makes me think the people who made these posters were children who can only identify/like the cartoon character faces.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Oh my goodness :swoon:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I just remembered that Criterion actually did one of those "minimalist" things for a video cover:

"One"? They've done tons! They're (arguably) responsible for the whole fad! Though , to be fair, they're actually smart people who love cinema so most of the time they do good stuff:

Actually you know what Criterion covers own

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The Asylum films are way too self-aware to be funny anymore. That said, I am looking forward to seeing their Avengers knockoff

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sockser posted:

I will stick with 2 ___ 2 ___.

Personally I always liked _____ 2 The Streets

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Is that a weird photoshop on the right leg there? Because it looks reeaaalllyyyy weird.

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, not really. This was 1964, it wasn't exactly hitting the mega-plexes across the country next week.

Dude, they'd have to rewrite whatever scenes had animation, then get the cast and crew back for reshoots, then re-edit the film, when it had premiered already. The ship hadn't just sailed, it was sitting in a boat graveyard on the other side of the word.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 24, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Tripwyre posted:

I think you're underestimating how many fans David Sedaris has, but okay.

Well we better hope they're all walking through the same theatre and see this poster and aren't put off by that awful quote then, because it's not going to win over anybody who isn't already a fan of his.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Until screenwriters start having good and bad "runs" we're very far away from comic book plotting.

Yeah, Iron Man 5-7 were terrible, but the 8-11 arc was actually really great!

We need a :911: emote but with the eagle weeping.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that what you just used?

Oh, is it? If the tears are light blue I may not see it as i'm a lil colourblind. My bad if that's the case.

zenintrude posted:

I can't imagine the midnight crowd for this being anything other than insufferable.

I can't see how an almost empty theatre could be insufferable.

... I saw it in theatres three times once with an Edgar Wright Q&A. I asked him a question. I got laughs. He signed some of my things. It was cool.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 28, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Nic Cage in the top left there. Eugh, what an ugly, dull poster for one of the most visually inventive and colourful Hollywood films of the last ten years. Seriously it looks like Scott's head at the bottom looks totally disconnected from his body.

Jedit posted:

A very fitting poster for the movie. They're both hipster poo poo.

I know man these posters totally seem like they would dress a certain way and listen to a certain type of music.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 28, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

uPen posted:

I think I like it, just not enough to refresh twitter every 5 seconds to get it before it sells out.

Now that is one pretty poster.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Barometer posted:

Meh, it's ripoffs all the way around on this one.

I wouldn't call it a ripoff - it's a fairly obvious homage I think everyone who see's the poster is going to get. I mean, seriously, who would have the balls to just rip off one of the most iconic war movie posters ever and think no one would notice?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Pascallion posted:

Christ, Ringo can never catch a break.

If there is one thing this thread has taught us it is that it is not loving hard to get five heads on a poster

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I'm still just upset they didn't go with Trans4mers

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Edit: Never mind

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 15, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I just saw Shi Gan (Time). Let's have a look at its nice posters.

Nice

Better.

Best.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Kaizoku posted:

I genuinely like Primer because it brought something new to the table. Time travel wasn't just "oh, we discovered it, now let's use it," but somewhat explained and given interesting limitations. Yes, the characters sucked, but I still feel like the film certainly gave more than it received.

However, I do give extra credit to shoestring budgets and first films. I haven't seen Upstream Color yet, so Carruth might've just been lucky?

Upstream Colour is sort of similar to Primer in that nothing really happens at all, but to an even greater degree. Even if you understand everything going on in the movie, 70% of its runtime is still utter nothing. I really wanted to like it, too. The characters do have personalities, though!

They're sad.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 28, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I'm sorry is it just me or is this a really awkward photoshop? His head looks so big... And his jacket? Am I going crazy?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Everybody look how damned cute this poster is

:buddy:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Barudak posted:

The below spoiler is only a spoiler if you believe spoiling the plot of multiple thousand year old religious texts qualifies as a spoiler.

The Grigori aka the Watchers are referenced in the promo material and they're critically important to the Noah story's action-filled expansion pack The Book of Enoch and are creators of the Nephilim the 50 meter tall fire-vomiting cannibal giants which God must drown the world to purge.

You forgot to add that they're human-angel hybrids that possibly resulted from Lucifer's angels getting busy with humans

Man, the Bible has some cool-rear end stuff in it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Barudak posted:

Am I really spoiling more of the Bible? They're not Lucifer's angels at all. The Head of the Grigori is Semyaza who convinces his host of 199 to commit the deed knowing full well they'll all be punished. Azazel is the truly evil one and is the Grigori who gives men the knowledge of how to craft weapons and armor for war.

Ah, okay, my mistake, I just checked. Don't know where I got that idea from at all.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Darthemed posted:

No no, it's 7 Adventures the of Sinbad!

No, look, the title makes total sense, guys.

It's Adventures: The 7 of Sinbad :smuggo:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I can't believe you guys haven't heard of my favourite, Spider-man villain, The Butler!!!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

making a single art film that is 5.5 hours long may be the pinnacle of pretentiousness

Lars hit that point way back in The Five Obstructions.

The movie is about a Director remaking their own short film five times in different ways at Lars' request (in theory, one time he throws a tantrum and tells the guy to just make whatever. He also outright asks the director to explain all the symbolism in his movie).

However, there is no actual "fifth obstruction" - the film ends with a black-and-white montage, with Lars reading a letter he wrote about himself, to himself. That is the end of the movie.

I mean I'm just saying that's the most pretentious thing I've ever seen, and I went to film school.

I don't know what it is about these - they're so simple - but they're executed well and are really appealing.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 10, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No offense but I don't think you got the ending to that movie.

Could you explain it to me, then? I don't know how it can be viewed as anything other than incredibly self-indulgent, but it's been 5+ years since I've seen it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well I mean part of it is I just think maybe you're remembering it wrong. For one, Lars Von Trier is not the person reading the voiceover at the end; Jordan Leth is. And the fifth obstruction is not "there is no fifth obstruction," it's that Jordan Leth is forced to assume directorial credit for a version of the film that was entirely prepared by Lars Von Trier, and read from a script that Von Trier wrote from Leth's point of view as if they were his own words. Essentially, the challenge of the fifth obstruction is that Leth is denied artistic input entirely and forced to take credit for a film he didn't make.

Agh, it sounds like I totally did remember it wrong! The execution of it is still dreadfully moody, especially considering Lars' relationship with the other Director, but anyway - thanks for clearing that up! I feel like a jerk now though, haha

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I chuckled at "please take this off my resume", but yeah, I think a movies enjoyable badness has to be earned through incompetence or lack of heart. This is just a joke trailer turned into a movie.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

holy trinity of tacked on entertainment subtitles

Revolution, and... rising?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Is this film set in London or Paris? The trailers were all London-based but that's the Arc de Triomphe.

Why is it every action movie is London nowadays? Star Trek, Thor, even the Muppets and Mass Effect 3. I'm sure there are tons I'm missing because I noticed that movies loved kicking the city around sometime last year.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

echoplex posted:

Because it's the greatest city on earth.

MikeJF posted:

It lets them avoid the 'goddamn everything takes place in America' thing whilst sticking to cities of global importance and also staying in English.

Both true. I feel like audiences, both in the US and the States, might actually just be sick of seeing US architecture getting destroyed. You're probably right about it meaning they can stay in English, though.

I personally can't wait for Thor 7, which I hear will take place entirely on The Isle of Man!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Now that's hardly fair. The first Star Wars was a knock-off of Flash Gordon, WWII movies AND Kurosawa! Darth Vader himself is a ripo- sorry, "homage" to Lightning, the antagonist from an old sci-fi Fighting Devil Dogs

Seriously look at Lightning:

Also the Seven Jedi thing was debunked as just a(n awesome) fan rumour a while back.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Have some pretty poster.

(Dream and Silence)

(Sidewalls)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

just make poo poo up?

what do you think cockney rhyming slang is?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Poster for Legion's TV spinoff Dominion.

I wonder what the character design will be like for the four-headed Lion/Eagle/Man/Cherub angels or the angels that are overlapping rings with eyes or the angel with a face made of lightning

Man with wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Man I love Matt Weiner, but I just see those three names attached and that poster and I get this heavy sense of dread