Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

This is done by the company Mondo, who does really gorgeous posters. Generally they only make poster for older movies but they liked Cabin in the Woods so much that they wanted to make something celebrating it.

Here's a couple more:

I love the style of these, especially the last three. Although it doesn't seem like they are available to buy (http://www.mondotees.com/POSTERS_c_12.html). Not to mention, they are a little out of my price range. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I like the "Sweet & Sour" poster. Not sure why, it just catches my eye. Perhaps it's her expression.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Blue and orange are my favourite colours, so I doubt that I will ever tire of that motif. That poster, though... Once you see the seat it cannot be unseen. :psyduck:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Orunitier posted:

So, is that the Chrysler Building in his reflection (in sunset?) and behind him (at night?)??

Yeah, it looks like it is. Or some deformed version of the Empire State Building. But I only say that because it is also a pointy building. :xd:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

kiimo posted:

Kind of surprised he isn't in this...

I'm kind of surprised that I only just heard of this movie. This poster just sold me on it. :haw:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Orunitier posted:

You both should stop by the animation thread more often, then.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3326621&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=103

Bookmarked. Thanks, will do. I have a soft spot for animated films. :allears:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

kaujot posted:

I just see a woman trying to blow a spit bubble. :saddowns:

Oh god, now I can't unsee it. I like the idea and the brush-stroke hair, though. :v:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

It's as lazy a poster as I am.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of heads being cropped off in posters. It's not that it disturbs me, I just don't find it interesting at all. Maybe it's not meant to be anything stylistic but it's kind of lame if it is.

At least it's not like the cropped half-face thing. :xd:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Nolan's TDK had a poster where Batman was staring at a beam and it was one of the biggest grossing movies ever. So the answer is yes, it is still accomplishing it's goal, OR posters are a mostly insignificant marketing tool these days and are mostly used as "reminders", where as trailers, which are commercials for movies, are now getting hyped up all on their own.

I am unsure of the whole business side of posters versus trailers, but I can say that I have a weakness for a good poster. Trailers can be very persuasive for getting me to see a film, yet I cannot hang a trailer on my wall to admire every day.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Young Freud posted:

The radiation tri-foil looks like a scared ghost. Could it be possible to make it both a radiation tri-foil and a skull?

Also, I agree, that tagline is way to loving long.

I was thinking the same thing about the tri-foil. I think it looks good now but I wonder if it can look scarier. Anyway, good job on the poster! You may have already sold me on the film. :3:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I know James Cromwell is old but man does he look old there.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Get the Gringo is a title that makes me want to see the film. It sounds horribly amusing. If only the posters weren't so average...

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Is Danny Dyer more of a British actor? I am Canadian and have never heard of him, but that could just as likely be because his films look like poo poo so I have never watched them.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

To call him an actor is giving him undue credit. You know The Rock, right? Imagine the exact opposite of him.

Ah, it's all starting to make sense now.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

I really, really like this fan poster.

That is the sort of poster that makes me wish I had a good printer so I could replace the cover of my DVD. Very cool.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Those Ghana posters are really endearing. I especially like "Raiders of the Lost Arc".

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Now I am really curious what a CSI unit would do in a post apocalyptic world. Obviously someone needs to determine who was killed by a mutant rat and who was killed by a mutant human.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I appreciate what they attempted to do here but man did they gently caress it up.

The movie looks rad though.

I agree. It's a cool idea but at first glance it seems like they were trying way too hard. Maybe it would have worked better if it weren't realistic but some simpler art style. At least then the human eye on the bird might not look as out of place.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I am all for a trailer thread and am a little surprised that I never noticed the absence of one.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Oh god, are those fists for breasts?

edit: I guess so. :xd:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

I really like that one. I could actually see myself hanging it on my wall. The DVD cover, not so much.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

That Nightmare on Elm Street poster is really good. Are there any more posters by the same artist or in the same style?

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks! I like that Videodrome one, too. I really like Dali's melting imagery and I think the molded bed sheets remind me somewhat of that.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

These are all great. Though the Shame one makes me sad. Oh, adulthood...

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it that they found a bathroom mirror that gives no fucks about the physical laws that govern reflection?

Whoa, yeah, between that and Paul Rudd on the toilet, this poster is all sorts of wrong. Seriously, though, who thought no one would notice that the taps and sink were not being reflected?

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

CRINDY posted:

This one was a bomb of epic proportions. Despite a budget reported to be about $11 million, Lionsgate unceremoniously dumped it in about 100 theaters over the May 4-6 weekend (probably because their Hunger Games success would let them eat the loss of production costs, or at least made eating the loss more viable financially than throwing another $10-15 toward trailers, TV spots, prints, etc.)

The result? It made about $44k over the weekend nationwide. That's the amount Avengers averaged... per theater.

http://news.yahoo.com/lol-miley-cyrus-flop-earned-just-440-per-155600224.html

Well, that makes me feel less like :barf:.

Seriously, I hope whoever green lit this learns from it. Mind you, I haven't seen it but if the posters are any indication of the film I am sure it is atrocious.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

NO

He's apparently walking down the barrel of the gun, because he's the size of a thimble. It just looks like he got sick of having that thing pointed at the beginning of every movie so he's decided to take matters into his own hands and take out that bullet once and for all.

I was also wondering why James Bond was walking down the gun barrel. Maybe the movie is in 3D? He's coming right at you!

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

The posters for John Hillcoat's latest are out.

Guy Pearce looks loving badass. I loved him in Lockout, and have been a fan of his since Momento/The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favourite films) so I cannot wait to see this. Just for him.

The fact that Gary Oldman is in it is just icing on the cake. :allears:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I really don't like those US Dark Knight Rises posters with the characters standing in the rain. I just find them boring as gently caress.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

The Great Gatsby (in 3D) is coming out in December. Posters have just started arriving.

I want this poster on my wall! I adore this 1920s/art deco style.

The Great Gatsby is possibly my favourite novel. I absolutely love F. Scott Fitzgerald. If the film is even half as beautiful as his prose, I will be happy. :allears:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Madkal posted:

That was dissappointing. I love the Great Gastby but the movie (judging by the trailer) seems to be all falsh with little substance.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got, too. :(

I also wasn't sure about Leo as Jay and now I am even more unsure after seeing the trailer. I love Leo as an actor, but (as shallow as it is) I don't think he has the face for Jay. Maybe that's just me, though...

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

Seriously, does The Great Gatsby really have to be in goddamn 3D?

C'mon, who doesn't want to experience a flapper projectile vomit into your face?

I'm really left wondering what 3D gags can be pulled out of The Great Gatsby. So now I am more curious to see the film, in an odd way. Not happy that it will cost me twice as much, though. :argh:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

User-Friendly posted:

Daisy Buchanan runs over you!

Ok, I'm sold.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Sockser posted:

I'd have gone with Ryan Gosling or Chris Evans for Gatsby myself

Yes! I am totally in favour of Chris Evans as Jay Gatsby, especially since seeing him as Captain America. Not that Jay is ripped, just his hair and his old-fashioned demeanour.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

kiimo posted:

That foot is inhuman. It is a crime against nature.

Anyway, check out this light-source nightmare!

I would expect to see this on one of those 90s padded plastic VHS cases which many Disney movies came in.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

This is really bothering me. Those people look flat and extremely pasted-on.

Yeah, what the hell? They look like clip art people with a film grain filter. :raise:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

bowser posted:

gently caress your perspective :byodood:

This poster hurts my head. :stonk:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

That poster is oddly amusing. The guy with the shovel reminds me of Julian from Trailer Park Boys.

Jasta fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

This is a work of art.