Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The poster for PT Anderson's "The Master" is pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vagabundo posted:

Came up on page 118, dude.

Of course I only searched back to page 119.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

itrorev posted:

Wait, wait, hold on there...(RE1&3 poilers) Didn't Michelle Rodriguez's and Oded Fehr's characters die? Ah hell why am I asking this... whichever way they're resurrected, no matter how utterly retarded it may be, will be the least ridiculous part about this film.

And how is Michelle Rodriguez a selling point to any film or TV show ever? She is emotional poison.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hewlett posted:

Sounds like somebody's no fun.

No she is a terrible actress that ruins anything she's in. She's way too melodramatic and "hey look at me I'm a stone cold badass" in every. loving. scene. And not in a fun B/Campy kinda way, but in just a "lovely actor" kinda way.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robert Denby posted:

Say you're a studio. You've got a big fall movie, big names, some Oscar potential, and a director with two solid productions under his belt. You've got to come up with a poster that'll put butts into seats.

:effort:

Try harder next time.

Screw y'all, I like this!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

boom boom boom posted:

I've never seen Drive, is it really as awful as all those terrible, pretentious posters make it look?

It's awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What the hell am I even looking at?

A dragon shadow projected onto a real building.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MorgaineDax posted:

Pretty sure I have the worst book/movie tie-in cover.

At least the other ones have pretty pictures. This looks like something you'd see as an example in a Photoshop thread for everything not to do in a design.

What the Christ? I remember messing with Photoshop in 1997 and doing poo poo like this. Difference Cloud + Lens Flare!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The "timg" of this sort of looks like strokey Will Smith.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Carthag posted:

I think it's more botched face lipo Will Smith or fluid retention Will Smith.

Or "punched in the face" Will Smith, which we can probably all get behind.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Goddamnit, Kickass 2 is going to be nothing but "Look! Look at how edgy we are! Look! LOOK AT US GODDAMNIT!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dick Trauma posted:

Michael Caine is awesome but every time I see him I think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY

I will never, ever, get tired of that clip.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aatrek posted:

I loving love Greg Kinnear's expression on that one. :smug:

Reminds me of the "Faces of Greg Kinnear" gag he used to do when he hosted Talk Soup. Of course I can't find it anywhere.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

Poster for Neill Blomkamp's Elysium released today. Trailer comes out tomorrow, apparently.

Petty cool. I like how the tech is pretty ugly and not super "oh hey look at how sci-fi it is!"

Looks like some old camera interface just jammed into your skull.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Donjolly posted:

Yeah, that's okay. White smoke evokes the Challenger - guess it's been long enough nobody gives a poo poo.

Hell I didn't think Challenger, but the twin smoke trails left by the meteor over Russia.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

#176 here :smug:

I also have the album preorder glow-in-the-dark Daft Punk poster and the collection of Encom Game Postcards framed.

I have a couple of Godzilla posters I want to put up but I haven't bought the frames for them yet.

I remember when that DP poster came out and most people liked the teaser image for it better than the actual poster so I traced it:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

(yes, it's a Mondo - what of it? :colbert:)

I always thought that was one of the best from Mondo. It's clever and elegantly done.

I have a lot of posters, but the only one I actually have up and framed isn't a movie poster, but a poster from Lost back when damoncarltonandapolarbear.com was doing that weird promotional thing.

It's a signed Daniel Danger print:

(The real colors are way more saturated than that image)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mind the walrus posted:

Just using a bloodied cabin floor is a bit too lazy, but it's absolutely genius that the ending is given away by the tagline.

Hell I thought it was both a standalone tag line and a winking stab at "John Dies at the End."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

penismightier posted:

I mean it's a horror film from the late 2000s that's still ragging on slasher films. What was the last big hit straightforward slasher movie? Scream 2?

It's not just ragging on modern pop culture slasher films like a parody movie. It's using our preconceived notions about an entire genre (over the past few decades) to misdirect us. I thought it was really fun and cool.

It's also very geared at folks that grew up in the 70s and 80s and early 90s with those types of flicks and is intended to invoke at least some nostalgia. Not just a cheap pop at whatever's the latest trend.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tripwyre posted:

To be fair to them, the printing process on these is fairly involved and it would be tough to accomodate print numbers on a large scale. They could still stand to print more than they do, but I understand why they do it.

No they do it to strictly create an atmosphere of "false demand." There is zero reason they couldn't print more. They just don't because it makes them "collectibles I just have to have better buy now just in case they're not available in 30 seconds!"

Also their ordering system is poo poo. If you actually click "order" and add it to your cart...it will straight up sell out of your cart while you're going through the last couple of steps. Unlike, say, Ticketmaster where - once added to your cart - it's there for like 3 minutes before going back into the pool unless you complete your order. I wanted that Superman poster recently and actually got in fast enough to add it to my cart, but apparently entering my CVV code was enough time for someone to buy it out from under me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slate Action posted:

So are people optimistic about Anchorman 2? That kind of surprises me.

That is a really good poster, I will admit.

Any reason not to be?

If this turkey tastes half as good as it looks, we're all in for a real treat!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

You Are A Elf posted:

I wish the entire world would give "Don't Stop Believin'" a rest until the heat death of the universe because I really loving hate that song, and I didn't always used to. It's just that I hear it no less than four times daily in various places, and it gets incredibly sickening and killed any joy I had of that song years ago. C'mon, Hollywood, you have a movie set in the very early 1980s about a guy who looks to be starting over with his life in a new city and decade. How about "Just Like Starting Over" by John Lennon? It fits the time period (released in 1980) and pretty much fits the theme of the movie by song title alone! Put the master tapes of "Don't Stop Believin'" away deep in an Antarctic vault and dip your toe into other songs for once, please?

Aside from that dumb complaint, I wasn't particularly enthralled by the trailer for Anchorman 2, and I loved Anchorman. That dinner scene was just awful. I'll probably still watch it opening weekend, though.

Sounds to me like someone's Stopped Believin'.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kramjacks posted:

Thats a weird poster, it looks like a magazine cover.

That might be the intended desire given the egotistical nature of the character. Like it's this sort of self-aggrandizing delusion.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm fine with the "trunk" poster. I mean it's a little forced with the symbolism if you have seen the original, but it's not the worst at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There's a slight hint of something icky about the way they've greyed out all the Japanese faces on that poster.

Oh come on. It's about two people sticking out like sore thumbs in a culture they can't (literally) understand. The only thing they have in common is each other and they stumble through the movie hand in hand. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I think it's pretty clear what the poster is trying to indicate.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It might have actually been better for them to go all the way with it instead of half rear end.

Seriously. Some grunge, or dinged up cardboard edges would've sold it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God, the latest Mondo World's End poster is pretty bad:

http://www.mondotees.com/The_World%27s_End_p_1102.html

However, this bad boy came in yesterday and is loving gorgeous (and huge!):

You can't really see it in the pictures, but there's lots of really dark tendrils in there in the black.

I put it in a frame more expensive than the damned print and it's going front and center in my office.

I like the black/ice blue version that was at SDCC too, but this'll do.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 23, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

opengl128 posted:

I really like it. It's subtle enough that nobody has noticed it until I pointed it out. Hell I didn't either until I read about it. Maybe I'm just oblivious.

I don't like the constellations as I feel it's a bit forced, but even then it's my preferred version.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Der Shovel posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, of course they're making a movie out of the worst Jackass bit. 90 minutes of grandpa doing OUTRAGEOUS non-grandpa things like SWEARING, STEALING and SKATEBOARDING. Featuring guest appearance by Bam Margera where he yells a lot and laughs like a hyena!

They'e taking a Borat approach to it. Sort of real life pranks mixed in with a loosely threaded "story."

I thought the same thing as you at first, but the trailer had me reeling so... I'm down.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yodzilla posted:

I was about to quote the I Declare War poster and say "new Gorillaz album art looking good" but yup you nailed it.

poo poo, I was gonna say it was imitating Trudeau's Doonesbury.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

They already announced that Collin Trevorrow of Safety Not Guaranteed fame is directing based on a draft he wrote with Derek Connolly from the same movie

...really? Because that's certainly interesting if true. Gives me a little hope.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mr.capps posted:

I'm a bit confused as to why a dinosaur mumblecore movie would be a bad thing in the first place.

Because we just need another generic action schlock-fest. There's no room for anything different here! Move along!

In a similar note, I finally saw Star Trek Into Darkness last night and, while decent, that's another franchise that's going to have to go in a different direction. Try something new. The "hey there's a bad guy..lemme at 'im!" storyline is so loving tired. There's nothing even remotely interesting but the f/x and production design.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zenintrude posted:

If it's not one, it must be the other! :goonsay:

There are plenty of interesting directors who have proven that they can handle action in ways that are, A, not generic, and B, not schlock... Neill Blomkamp, Joe Cornish, Edgar Wright, Guillermo del Toro, Marc Forster, Kathryn Bigelow, and on and on. Instead we're going with a guy who's "written" one low budget mumblecore movie and a guy who's directed a low budget mumblecore movie with almost no special effects?

Perfect.

gently caress, I'd be more on board if the pretentious asshats who made Bellflower were making JP4 since at least they seem to have a hard on for action.

A.) Kathryn Bigelow? Lol.

B.) While those are better directors than most, the stories are still going to be relatively the same. Dinorsaurs get loose. Threaten people. People come to the rescue.

I get it, some can do it better than others, I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that even those that do it better than most are still really starting to feel tired. The formulas are STILL relatively the same. So try something completely new.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FishBulb posted:

The fact that it doesn't make sense makes it more interesting. Now I'm curious. Before I was bored.

The worst that can happen is Jurrasic Park 4 is a bad movie. That's not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Right. If it was just the second in the series I can see it making sense to go with more standard fair. But it's the fourth one...LONG after the third one came out. It's time for something different. But yeah this isn't something everyone is going to agree on and I'm ok with that!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stare-Out posted:

Oh, okay then.

Well he's right. It's a very clear cut non-ambiguous design. Not sure what gave you that idea other than "white background."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like an inFamous crossover!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think the idea of the poster is to try to get a "holy gently caress" sense of scale. I man you can always show Godzilla against buildings or whatever is the norm... but to show some skydivers jumping from 30,000 feet and Godzilla is so goddamned massive that only his scales make it into the frame a bit? That's pretty cool.

I mean it's a cool idea. The poster is kinda lame.

edit: Page Snipe have a poster:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vagabundo posted:

Oh hey, is the stupid bullshit with the Planet of the Apes titles finally over?

New poster for the All You Need Is Kill adaptation.

Trailer looks great, but I think they went a little too far with the helix shape there. I mean it may just be the way those missiles fire in the movie, but it really seems like they're just trying to cram some half assed easter egg down our throat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mustach posted:

Evolution pretty much comes down to "live, die, repeat", so I can get behind the DNA imagery.

Nothing wrong with DNA imagery. Just that I count 9 uses of it on that poster. Design wise that goes from "subtle symbolism" straight to "banging you over the head with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

scary ghost dog posted:

It's not artificially limited, they manually screen print the posters which cannot be done en masse without losing a huge amount of quality. 256 screen printed posters is a ton.

So are you saying they couldn't make 512 and sell them at the same price?