Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yes it is Ron Perlman, but it is kind of interesting that he comes out the most normal-looking person on the poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The cover of the new UK Blu-Ray of Repo Man is appalling. Really bad job, Masters of Cinema. Really, really bad job.

When they first showed it I assumed placeholder art but it comes out on Monday and it's still like this on their site and on Amazon.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 18, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

wyoming posted:

I dunno, if it glows in the dark I'm voting "Greatest Cover of All Time"

I never thought of that, I'll take it all back if it that's why because that's perfect.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's kind of a picky point but I do agree, it's not the kind of thing you should really do unless you want the design to feel a little 'off' since that's what it's doing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The vast majority of these posters have nothing in common besides someone holding a bow and arrow.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Madkal posted:

You don't say

MY favourite part is how when they're chasing each other, the distance between the two ends becomes ten times as far.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Speaking of Wuthering Heights, has anyone checked out Andrea Arnold's adaptation of the film yet? It's wonderful.

Sadly, the DVD case is a bit lazy:

Ha they missed a letter off of James Howson's name. Is it like that on the actual box or just the promo image?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That poster does not suit that's film lurid colour scheme in the slightest.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I think it's been mentioned here how bad the Minority Report Blu-Ray cover is but man I saw it in-store today and it looks even worse in real life.

I don't think Tom Cruise is such poison now that they want to make him look not like Tom Cruise so I don't know what the hell happened here.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Shai apparently said during some interview that a joke turned into a fight and afterward Tom Hardy never picked a fight with him again? I can't seriously imagine Shai coming out on top in that scenario.

Tom Hardy is a total dandy in real life whereas Shia LeBoeuf apparently had a bit of a rough upbringing, doesn't seem unlikely to me. Also why do you keep spelling his name 'Shai'?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That complete disregard for the concept of perspective had been bothering me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really hate this. It looks like Chloe Sevigny, who I love, doing a Ms. 45 thing, which I also love. But those tags are like caution tape.

What's odd is that this is a mini-series in which she plays a pre-op transsexual trying to balance being a single parent with being a hitman. And they try to make it look as boring and generic as possible.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That rules. Is it any good?

Haven't gotten around to see it yet (it might not have actually finished airing yet, now I think about it) but it's co-written by Paul Abbot who wrote the series State of Play and the UK version of Shameless so I'll definitely get around to it at some point.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Hey. Hey! HEY!! You remember "Inception"? Our movie is totally like "Inception"! "Inception"! Remember "Inception"? This is the new "Inception"! "INCEPTION"!

I don't really get 'Inception' from that poster but it does make me interested in it because I don't know what the gently caress is supposed to be going on there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Young Freud posted:

It took me a bit to realize what this movie was (I haven't seen the trailer). This is the movie about the returning ad exec who sees aliens psychically feeding on people's anxieties driven by advertising, so he sets out to create a war between them by setting brand against brand? The strange imagery in the poster are the aliens, who look like various advertising mascots and brands.

This sounds great, poster is doing its job I guess!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Have $250 to $350 to spare for a poster?

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/mondo-struzan-the-thing/8439

$250 for that or $350 for glow in the dark.

I probably would pay that much for one, but know that there's no way I'll get chance to due to the way Mondo does things.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

I think that poster is awesome. I hear that movie is about corruption and excess, as a film about one of Saddam Hussein's son's bodydoubles would be, and that gets the point across effectively. It helps that it's a very memorable design. I wouldn't be against framing that and putting it up on one of my walls, actually.

I agree, it's just absurd and over-the-top enough for the story. Shame the movie is pretty mediocre.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sexually robust?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Is it just me or have there been like 5 millions posters for new Batman so far? Wouldn't it be better to put out a few of their best posters rather than throw out every single idea they come up with?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Paul Allen posted:

Also, why is there a white triangle on the giant Bat-Batman's chest?

He's eating a sandwich, you can see his little hands holding it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I do like the poster, but I'm not gonig to be able to think of the movie as anything but The Bloeugrancey now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't you design posters for a living dude? Who would have better Photoshop skills than you?

If this thread has taught me one thing it's that people who design posters for a living can't use Photoshop.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I'm gonna guess that from the '$10 million' in the tagline, it's called stolen because he has to steal the money for the ransom.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not a spoof, definitely a comedy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So I'm the only one who thinks that second poster is just terrible?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's not like calling Battle Royale 'Batoru Rowaiaru' or anything.

Uh, yeah it is. It's a Japanese film with English words for the title that they pronounce using Japanese syllables.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I had no idea Kim Jee-Woon had a new film coming out and that it was an action movie with Arnie. That's one to watch.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

These are so unexciting, and lack any personality or style whatsoever. It's just, "Here's some people who acted in the movie! Come see it!"

Every big movie seems to get these individual character posters now, with the actors just standing around in generally neutral poses. It's boring as heck.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Holy crap these people are twenty feet tall!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Momotaros posted:

You think they will annouce it on Twitter when it's available, or is this super-special where I have to :f5: all day from 5am til 10pm to have a chance to get it?

It's Mondo, so I'd expect the latter.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Maybe you should just make that image the poster.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Mondo really needs to do reprints from time to time :argh:

And destroy the artificial scarcity they've created? Never.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Right, let's all look at this.

What angle is he standing at? And is it just me, or is The Rock's proportions just subtly off? Like, his head just looks slightly too big, but not big enough that it stands out, but also slightly big enough that it doesn't really look right.

That looks fine to me, if unimaginative. They actually used a photograph taken at a low angle to match the fact that the scene behind him is photographed from a low angle which is the #1 problem with the posters that get posted here. Seems like they got a designer who actually understands perspective.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

gently caress this guy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Again, what is up with all the misaligned, deformed-looking faces in these posters?

That's kinda harsh on Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Peanut President posted:

The Jaws poster is pretty, it looks like a travel poster for Amity Island,

The big problem for me is that yeah it may look like a travel poster... but it looks nothing like a 70s travel poster. It might work better if the artist had tried to replicate 70s design trends but I expect that doesn't look as lovely to them, so they went purely for aesthetics and the result is just some art deco pastiche that might as well not even be a Jaws poster.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DNS posted:

Not a poster, but the boxart for Criterion's Repo Man release is just stellar:

Sure is better than the horrible UK cover.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I love the ridiculous pose by the woman on the inflatable raft. So dumb, it's great.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rahonavis posted:

That dogeared upper-right corner is distracting as hell and if you didn't know who Drew Struzan was already, would this give you any idea? This would *almost* be a place where the photomontage approach would work. However...

Seems kind of a mismatch, making a film about a guy who paints totally rad film posters and giving it the most boring photographic poster possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Also if he's 'the man behind the poster' why is the picture of him in front of another picture? They didn't think their dumb visual pun through properly.