Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So Big Trouble in Little China is about an LP being struck by lightning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

Same thing with the trees in Vader's mask.

Eh, that one doesn't really work as well for me. Maybe he should have done something with the Death Star or the shuttle or the dish or something instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A Haunted House? Why don't they just continue the staple of "X Movie"?

Say... scary?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Didn't know she had a scar at all

It's big enough that they can't totally get rid of it in makeup for filming (well, not without a sci-fi level makeup job), which is why it does stand out when they constantly totally photoshop it out in pictures.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe the picture started out younger and sexier and aged, like the Movie Cover of Doria Gray.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's one of those things where if it's made by the minority, they can use the light slur comedicly applied to themselves.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 26, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect it's the same model's body a tenth of a second later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Star Trek Movie Rule got thrown off by Nemesis not being a good one but in fact being the worst thing ever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Because The Dark Knight Rises did the exact same thing. Broken/ruined buildings form a void in shape of the logo. Someone put a Batman cowl over Kirk's head.

At least this one has all the buildings and the characters obeying the same direction of 'up'.

Ironically, in Star Trek that doesn't always need to be the case.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like that we've happened to never ever see New York because hell, something had to get nuked in World War III.

But yeah 90% of the time in Star Trek on Earth, we're seeing San Francisco.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I can never decide what I like more.

80's movies where they go to the future and it's just the 80's with hovering stuff, and holograms.

80's movies where future people come to the 80's.

Or 80's movies where past people come to the 80's.

80's movies where 80's people go to 1955. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Still, something about the reflections really doesn't sit right with me but I'm not really sure what.

That might just be Nicole Kidman.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

You could literally make the tag line "I dreamed a dream..." with that Cossette image, and you'd be set. Everyone knows that title, everyone knows that song (thanks, Susan Boyle!), and I imagine a lot of people know that image (the original version, at least). Spend some money on television advertising for your plot points, and you've at least got the U.S. market sewn up.

Edit: Technologic

They might have not have used 'I dreamed a dream' for the Cosette image simply because that one in particular is aimed at people who know the musical and using Fantine's song and Cosette's image would bug the crap out of them.

That's probably more thought than put into it, though.

Are those character posters linked before all of them? I'm surprised there's no Eponine 'On My Own', that song and 'Do You Hear The People Sing?' are the other really commonly known ones.

That and they really could have had better lyrics-based taglines for Javert and Valjean.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 9, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

This poster came up on my Kindle Fire HD (who says ads on the lock screen are a bad thing?) and made me immediately check out the trailer, which got me incredibly excited for the movie. And I know nothing about Les Miz and I generally dislike musicals. They did a hell of a job marketing this.

Well, that imagery used in that poster has had the benefit of having proven over time; it's a real-life arrangement of the one image out of all the illustrations in the 1886 print that's filtered down over the years as the most evocative and become emblematic of the story, so it's kind of benefiting of survival of the fittest in terms of how striking it is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't hear After Earth without thinking of Titan: AE.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On one hand, you're all evil, on the other hand, you have a rad voicemail message, so it all balances out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You have gone far, Sally Sparrow.

Mister Chief posted:

Too many Australians!

Pft, three, and none in the starring roles? That's pretty much under average for hollywood these days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's really irritating, because if they'd scaled it right, and had the gates at their proper prominence, that could have been a really awesome poster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OK Octopus posted:

I have this bad boy on my wall. I wish to God someone would bring this era of posters back.

I love the way the island is just kinda plonked randomly in the void. And a skywriter's labelled it just in case anyone was confused as to if it was the titular island.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, if I'd been making that particular Jaws poster, I'd have had a second poster continuing the scene to be positioned to the right of it that was just the simple flat plain ocean with the shadow of a shark under the water.

The combination of the two could have worked pretty well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Invert the whole thing! It'll be like you're watching the end of the movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now it's just 200. I think if you were gonna do that you'd have to make the sun really strong, strong enough to let you do the whole 2001 in black, even if you can barely see the 2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DNS posted:

The pine trees above the title are a little cutesy, but they're also in the trailer and I thought that was a nice touch there.

I know that's what they are, but all I see is some arrows pointing at Ryan Gosling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yep, still don't make sense to me. I thought when I first saw that poster they were meant to be time travel paths but... well, the third and first do, but the second still doesn't.

EDIT: oh, never mind. Was reading it in the wrong direction. Durf.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 1, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Terminal Entropy posted:

Done and done:

No, no, remember that the diagrams show alternate timelines too, like in BTTF2.

(Just because I want to see someone try)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crackbone posted:

The effect is all wrong though, as the motion lines on the poster make it look like the ship is flying backwards, away from the viewer.

I'm sure there's a good technobabble reason to explain it though!

They're not motion lines, man. It's the tunnel effect created when they're in hyperdrivewarp. See: gif.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uPen posted:

I thought he was walking on water until you said this.

I thought his feet had come off and he was standing on stumps at first glance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The worst thing about those Jack and The Giant Slayer posters is that they spelled 'fi' wrong. :arghfist:

(And 'fo'. And 'fum'.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gotta say, America needs to do what Australia did and add MA15 to go between PG13 and R18. Granted it's only two years but it still works out a lot better having that rating there.

You probably wouldn't get young teens being casually let into an R movie by parent here anywhere near as much because the lighter R movies in America are all MA here; if it's R it probably actually does have some heavy stuff in it. (Hell, glancing through a list of the high-grossing American-R movies from last year, they were pretty much all MA or M here. Spring Breakers'll probably get an R, though)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 24, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God, you're all so literal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Elijah Wood has probably made so much Lord of the Rings money that someone will throw a batshit idea like POV REMAKE OF MANIAC or HOW ABOUT YOU STAR IN A MOVIE WITH SASHA GREY and he suddenly remembers that he can get to do whatever he wants and loving takes it.

If this leads to things like 'Why don't you star in a TV series about hallucinating that your neighbor's dog is an rear end in a top hat in a dog costume' then I'm all for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tliil posted:

The basic premise of the movie is that Earth was abandoned, it seems silly to expect buildings to stand up straight after [presumably] hundreds of years.

Sillier to expect buildings to be able to tip like that in one piece, but hey. (And it's less just the Empire State and more the entire skyline behind him as a single unit, it seems)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wubbles posted:

Movie tie-in book covers are literally always terrible.

I think of this cover as one of the low points of our civilisation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

It'd be great if Kristen Stewart was more like the Brontė sisters and died before she was 30.

I'd have preferred it be Stephanie Meyer, actually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't you open that trapdoor!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish your average episode had had shots like that.

Also, can never not notice the textures they forgot to put on the bottom of the ship for the opening credits and then never fixed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 12, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Eh? Got a pic?

The two black squares on the bottom of the ship aren't meant to be there; they forgot to apply the textures for some hatches.

It's pretty minor, to be honest. Nowhere near as bad as the terrible mesh errors in the LOST intertitle. Those just pissed me off. (I'd post an example of that but I can't find a version of the title above 240p. Just look at the S next time it's on TV as it goes past the camera)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 12, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Highlander 3 rebooted Highlander 2, if that counts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So is that Vampire 2: Prosecutor, Vampire Prosecutor 2 or Vampire 2 Prosecutor wherein he gives up his bloodsucking ways and joins the bar?

All of the above. That's what's so brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Want that Majorettes poster, but without the inset picture.

Still a blown up book cover with extra stuff on it and a lamer tagline, though.