Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AndyP posted:

The posters for Bridge To Terabithia always piss me off.

Not really because they're particularly terrible design wise, (though Josh Hutcherson looks like a midget in that first one.)

What pisses me off about these is the horrible misrepresentation of the movie. Similar to the Trust DVD covers on the first page, they took a fairly slow coming of age drama that deals with some fairly heavy themes, and marketed it as a Narnia cash in.

They even pulled that bullshit in the trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvqEIKP4t8

It should be pointed out that the posters/advertising campaign was so misleading that the people who actually made the movie released a statement disowning them. They couldn't stop them coming out because it was a studio thing but they were pretty unhappy with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

As someone not in the know, what the hell is the Hunger Games? It's being advertised as if I should.

Things like Harry Potter and LoTR are pretty much cultural icons. Hunger Games... eh, not so much.

Basic premise is that after a nuclear war America is much smaller and has been rechristened "Panem." The country is split into 13 districts each with their own industry (District 12 which is where the main character is from is devoted to coal mining for example) with the ruling class in a Rome-esque Capital district. Before the start of the series District 13 leads a rebellion which eventually the Capital wins, in retribution the Capital enacts the yearly "Hunger Games" wherein two children from each district are chosen to fight to the death until only one survives.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Just saw a trailer for this thing during 30 Rock.

They keep showing commercials for this on Cartoon Network. It looks loving TERRIBLE and includes one of the dogs going "Desert? I thought you said DESSERT!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Apocalypse Now.

...but, uh. I don't think Men in Black 3 will be as good as Apocalypse Now.

I still don't get why they're making this movie NOW. The first two made a lot, yeah, but the second was a loving decade ago. Let it die with some honor.

They're making it now because this was when they finally got all their ducks in a row. They've been trying to make the movie for years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Triumphant posted:

Clear out your weekend and rent Videodrome and A History Of Violence.

Videodrome is on Netflix Streaming. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Started watching World on a Wire which reminded me that The Thirteenth Floor existed...

I think it's a pretty neat posted, and I'm digging the red/green complements instead of the orange/teal that we see all the time now.

That's such a weird movie. The premise is about a scientist who develops a virtual reality program that's based on the 20s but things start going weird including a killer escaping the virtual reality into a person in the real world. Then in the end it turns out that "reality" was actually another artificial reality created by some guys in the future and the main character (who turns out to be a computer program himself) escapes his virtual reality into the future "real" world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zenintrude posted:

She and Ben Foster are so different from what they became over the last decade.

Well, they've also gone from early 20s to early 30s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, if you're just judging it on the poster and the concept of the meme you should at least check out the trailer as it makes it look pretty interesting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

I want to say that someone mentioned in a different thread that the authors of the books had pretty much no say on the cover art of their books. Pretty much the publisher would tell you what the cover was going to look like, no matter how non-sensical it may be.

Sci-Fi author Charles Stross has stated that when he got his book contract he was allowed exactly ONE cover veto. I'm certain that authors of that era (the 50s and 60s) had even less say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Which explains this:

Yeah, he wasn't too happy about that but he had already used the veto on an earlier book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlexF posted:

For all the creative rights Steven Soderbergh gets for his feature films (even internationally) he doesn't seem to have any hand in marketing.

The thing that bothers me about this poster is that the best looking guy in the movie (Matt Bomer) is the one with his face obscured. Were they worried that he is too handsome?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Mondo specifically do but I don't think anyone else does.

Isn't that why those nifty Star Wars posters got shut down?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, its kind of weird that he's going out and doing someone else's movie just as an actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Limited edition poster that will be given away at selected midnight IMAX screenings. I quite like it, actually.

Maybe if it didn't have the Lizard on there I would agree with you but as is I think it looks terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It looks almost like Spider-Man is swinging himself straight into the ground.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of interesting just how much young Bobcat Goldthwait looks so much like Charlie Day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, the last RE movie was actually pretty fun. They got rid of the whole Alice is like a superhero thing and made her a lot better that way. It's got the characters from the games showing up now and being over the top, and it's just really stupid fun.

I thought it was kind of funny how obvious they were in the fact that they had no clue what to do with superpowered Alice so you got one scene with that and then its "you powers are gone and never coming back."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

homerlaw posted:

I don't see any penises in that poster, who are you talking about?

I believe he's talking about the Adventure Time poster and specifically Abracadaniel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Well they pretty much were an event for a lot of people. It wasn't as cheap to buy a bunch of movies as it was back than. If I remember right didn't movies back than take forever to come out on VHS?

The whole thing was so completely different from now its kind of crazy to think it was only about a decade ago. Movies took longer to come out on VHS and even then you weren't guarenteed to be able to buy it as they were then broken down into two groups, the ones ready for home sale and the ones sold to video rental places. Well, technically you could purchase the rental tape yourself, it just cost anywhere between $60-90.

The entire system really changed with the advent of DVDs. All of a sudden every movie was reasonably priced and you could just go down to your local big box store and just pick it up for yourself, instead of waiting for a used copy to go on sale at the rental place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

I find it really weird that Silverstone has silver eye paint on to match the silver mask, but then Clooney and O'Donnel are still rocking black paint, which looks silly

I think its weird that they still haven't come up with a good solution to that and they're still just putting black make up around the eyes for the masks, even in the Nolan Batman movies. The best part is when the movies pretend that the make up doesn't exist and Batman takes off the mask and its just his normal face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vWvocMc6M&t=110s
I skipped to the relevant part, but it's worth seeing in it's entirety.

I think Kick rear end is the only superhero movie that acknowledged it exists. In the scene where Cage's character is getting ready for battle he puts on the eye paint.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Hahah, the McDonalds arches in the original poster.

The new Red Dawn is the movie that was originally about a Chinese invasion, but after the movie was finished the producers realized that plot would alienate a huge potential market, so it was delayed for a year while they applied extensive CGI to change the invading for to North Korea, correct?

That and then MGM kind of imploded which shelved it. Also how Hemsworth filmed this before Thor and its still not out yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I've been reading that thread and going "Weren't the two factions called Euromerica and New Shanghai?", which was changed roughly into the United Federation of Britain (:psyduck:) and The Colony.

Which is kind of weird that they changed it because while the "New Shanghai" group might not have been the good guys, they were the ones who were being attacked with no provocation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

15 minutes. Couldn't stand it any more. The "best" part of this is if they go by the book its just supposed to be a blank TV screen giving the speech and you don't even see John Galt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

The only good parts of Judge Dredd were:

1. Stallone and Armond Assante chewing the fat in nearly every scene they're in.

2. The costume design.

3. The soundtrack.

My "favorite" part of that movie is how its a big plot point that Stallone and Assante are identical clones. Despite, you know, looking absolutely nothing alike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Were they actually supposed to be identical clones? I thought it was just that they were both genetically engineered from the same "parent" Judges DNA.

Nope, identical. That's why Rico could frame Dredd using his gun. They DNA stamped every bullet and since he had the same DNA it looked like Dredd did it. Although now I think about it that doesn't make any sense, what about other identical twin Judges? Or the fact that Rico USED to be a judge, shouldn't they have HIS DNA on file as well and it should have popped up too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Carthag posted:

But also at the same time, they each had the good and bad genes, or am I thinking of Twins?

Nah, that's definitely Twins.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

I know that but come on.

Looks like a Bizarro clone Joseph Gordon Levitt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

I feel like there's something missing from this poster.

It is kind of weird that the poster is showing two "real" characters then one fake one made up for the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO is also making a Hitchcock movie, although they're just focusing on the filming of The Birds and how Hitchcock basically tortured Tippi Hedren while filming it. Here's what Toby Jones looks like as Hitchcock:

Edit: Also the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HxMslIwsCZU

Edit2: Forgot to mention, the movie is called The Girl.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 20, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least he still looks something like himself instead of the bizarre creature that is Hopcock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Poor Jones. First Capote, now this.

Nah, his comes out first as its airing in October.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm not sure what this other Cedar Rapids movie Ed Helms apparently was in is about.

It looks like it might as well be named "National Lampoon Presents: American Pie's Cedar Rapids Starring the Guy From The Hangover."

While I thought Cedar Rapids was a funny movie and Ed Helms was a big part of that, the main character would have made a lot more sense with a younger actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

It still baffles me that Midnight Meat Train was able to be released with that title.

It literally had to be. It was based on a short story by Clive Barker and his contract stated that they had to keep the title.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Love Hose posted:

"You're all... astronauts... on some kind of Star Trek."

First movie poster on this page!

They also use the phrase "First Contact" when talking about what the Borg were doing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Is that movie any good?

Its not a bad movie but nowhere near as good as you would think considering how funny each actor is in their individual works.

Also, I was listening to a podcast this morning and they accidentally brought up one the silliest versions of movie title in movie with Robocop 2. Where they call the new (evil) Robocop "Robocop 2." Not Robocop "mark 2" or "version 2" or even "second generation" just straight up Robocop 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

T&E are certainly living the artist's dream. They can do whatever they want and explore any bizarre rabbit holes they want with a steady audience and network that's willing to work with their whims.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Not Another Teen Movie was surprisingly decent as a spoof of a comedy.

That one was more of a spoof of a genre and not a specific movie like the various ____ Movies or that 41 Year Old Virgin one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem with Darkman is how they end it with him deciding to be a superhero and leave out the part where he dies from an infection a week later. Even though he was putting on fake skin he spent way too long without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lynch's Dune is worth watching just for the production design. The costumes, sets and props are all fantastic.