Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Having (almost) everything crammed at the top actually makes me uncomfortable. I'm not sure why, it just seems to closed in, maybe that's the point. The title looks like it is slightly too high on the poster, which could be doing it too. I have no clue what the movie is really about though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe this has been asked, but do these independent/fan posters have to pay licensing money to the studios? I just can't imagine the studios letting independent artists use their property to make money for themselves.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

tmfool posted:

The guy who did it is another fan that hopped on the minimal movie poster train, but somehow managed to luck out and get real gigs. Here's his site. http://www.imagekind.com/MemberProfile.aspx?MID=3a3b674d-8c7a-44dd-8e59-350257052923

Some of these are good, but seeing all of them right next to each other makes it to easy to see that this guy has a template. Take "iconic" image from the movie, place at 3/5 up the page, put title of movie in small font at the bottom, repeat. Some are different, but way too many follow that model.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

How can you pluralize Lone Rangers?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Shanty posted:

Sort of like you can "hermits", I guess? The rangers are a very loose-knit organization, apparently.

Someone needs to brush up on their mid-90s comedies!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Shanty posted:

Hah, it's me. I'm the guy who hadn't even heard of Airheads (1994) before you mentioned it.

D'Oh! I don't even remember that line from the movie, and I've seen it like 20 times.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

So a sequel to Harold and Maude then huh?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well now I know what a movie poster would look like if I tried to draw it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Does anyone know where the son came from? He's only ever had a daughter in the previous movies. My guess is illegitimate child and he founds out about him in the first act.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Ken Taylor Jurassic Park posters.

Why the two versions also? The first one is ok, nothing great, but the second in grey makes it look like someone made a statue of T-Rex and put it in the jungle.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Jim Carrey looks more like Mac from It's Always Sunny than actual Jim Carrey. That is Carrey on the right, correct?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm still trying to decide which character looks the least like the actual actor. At first I was going with Carrey, but even Rance Holloway barely looks like Alan Arkin.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 1, 2013

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Baseball has a few things going for it that other sports don't. In general, it's the only major sport being playing in the US in the summer, so it's going to draw a lot of attention that way. Second, they just play a lot of games, so baseball is always going to be somewhat popular, and draw good attendance numbers just out of shear volume. 81 home games for baseball vs. 8 for football means you can draw a lousy 10,000 people per game (which a lot of even the crappiest teams can still do) and you will still way outdraw even the most popular football teams.

As for the movie aspect, baseball has the best made-for-the-screen drama inherit into the game. It always comes down to two people, the pitcher vs. the batter, and the suspense of waiting for the pitch. It's harder to create that tension with more fluid games like basketball and hockey. Football still has a lot of stoppage, but there are 22 guys on the field, so it loses some focus on just a couple of actors, and they all wear helmets, and pads, which limit their physical expressions at key moments. Plus, since it is the only summer sport, it can lend itself to those lazy summer days and nights watching a game. The Sandlot couldn't have been made with any other sport since it relies on kids hanging out all day while school is out, and playing late into the evening because the sun is up longer, and summer nights are the best weather all year.

But I love baseball, and I love baseball movies, so maybe it's just me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

aga. posted:

Ah, nepotism, that explains it. I understand they might not have been able to get the rights to his past work, but he could have at least painted it, or a portion of it, to give a bit of a clue.

I feel like they should have inserted him into one of his iconic posters. Like draw Drew in where Christopher Lloyd is in the BTTF poster, or insert him for Harrison Ford in the Blade Runner poster. Could have done a whole series of them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Time to get Don Johnson to reprise his role on Miami Vice and get a remake of Jurassic Park going.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Jamie Foxx is on that poster at least four times, Leo is on there like two or three times. The guy was spending way too much time filling up every inch of that poster.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tears In A Vial posted:

Hey, do you guys love minimalist stuff or hate it? I'm pretty sure I remember you all loving it.

That first image after red pill looks like some sort of cockroach/man thing, like the Matrix is actually some overwrought adaptation of Metamorphosis.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's 1993, he's playing Fresh Prince era Will Smith.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The studios probably need to make sure they keep releasing movies, even if they're not as good as they could be. If they all waited for the strike to finish, they'd end up having a crowded field of movies and end up releasing competing films. Plus they probably figure it's cheaper to have the actors rewrite than have a couple of screenwriters on call.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Cage posted:

I love me some QT but drat who cares what # film it is of his?

The more I look at it the less I like that poster though. The lantern, the awkward dual pistol pose, the boot/leg that clearly can't belong to said akimbo ace.

I'm assuming that's Kurt Russell in the foreground, but he apparently flew into that position because he's the only one without tracks in the snow.

Edit: Also glad that they did match all the names to the pictures below.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

Thanks for posting this and bringing this poster to my attention.

Is it just me, or does Liam Neeson look a lot like Michael Flynn here?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

morestuff posted:

Am I missing something with that tag line

I'm assuming with that tagline, and a title including the word paradox is that the Cloverfield monster is somehow time travelling.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Wrestlers vs. Zombies

Is this the rare poster where the names actually match the faces?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

spookygonk posted:

Only found out about this 2018 movie today:

Would never have guessed that was [meant to be] John Cusack

Did some intend to make this 15 years ago and just got around to it?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Documentaries like that are probably going to be easy to pull together when half the film is probably the producers using people's instagram/facebook/snap videos of the insanity.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wait, what? Is this like a prequel to the movie? Is it still muppets?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

falz posted:

Pretty sure that zero people want to see any movie or series taking place with covid as its focus for the next 10+ years.

Yea I saw that on HBO and I think I felt physically repulsed at the idea of watching that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wait, that’s not Jeffrey Tambor?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Good things come in abuelas.

Futurama covered that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I don’t know if it holds up but god bless that movie for queering up a generation real good.

Bless this movie for being PG-13, but still having boobs. Little me was very grateful for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Trying to figure out the f stop they used on that picture.