Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

More adventures of Graphic Designer and Boss!

If this is about you, when did the Chinese characters get put on the gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

dolphins are gay posted:

they've airbrushed all his tattoos off, I guess. I don't know why that's easier than giving him a sleeved shirt.

They just picked this still and reconstructed him in photoshop. Nothing below the neck is him.

A clean shirt isn't Bad rear end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I only just now got the tie between the Rises and Begins posters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Posters from The Cannes Film Festival
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/25/the-top-ten-most-ridiculous-movie-posters-at-cannes-this-year/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The bit with Will saying "I refuse to lose..." over his mouth saying something else is weird.

Is the movie actually funny with the lines decompressed? It looks terrible.

e: Was there concern about Zach's character being kind of similar to Jack Black in Bernie? Fat, mustache, fey?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 6, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Handsome Dead posted:

I don't know why it took that specific poster, but it really points out how goofy the 2 is in the title. Definitely should have gone with a subtitle instead.

This is all I think of when saying or hearing "Taken 2" out loud

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually a photorealistic photoshop illustration, with some added noise filters.

"I literally sat at my personal computer and, in slow motion, chose a frame from the movie I thought would work best. I worked off a very tiny dvd screenshot, maybe 4"x4" and 72 dpi at best and used it as the base. With a background in illustration, and a stubborness for painting tangibly for many years, it was the first time I had decided to illustrate digitally, but I felt it was appropriate."

-Movie Poster of the Week: An Interview with "Funny Games" Poster Designer Akiko Stehrenberger (link)

It's incredible that they couldn't afford to give him hi-res grab. I suppose those few years ago you'd only have an sd telecine to work from in offline editing and getting one frame rescanned would be a whole process, but now days that sounds crazy.

edit: Oops. Her.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 27, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One thing I do like about this is how long the title is on a single line. Any other movie and they would've put the subtitle beneath.
Probably harder to parse for any regular person passing the poster, but its kinda neat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Woah, is Joaquin Phoenix back to doing movies again? He hasn't been in anything since I'm Still Here, right? That was a couple years ago. And that was about how he hadn't been in anything in a couple years before that. Awesome!

If you consider making I'm Still Here to be work, you can't really say he took a break.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

kiimo posted:

Here's the Gangster Squad teaser, feel free to rip it. We went through hell to get to this point.

Floating heads???

Just getting out ahead of it.

Why does every poster nowdays have to stitch bodyparts together? When was the last time anyone actually did a dedicated photoshoot for a movie poster?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

A fairly lazy/poorly done poster, but try guessing what the movie is about from the visuals/tagline. (Don't cheat!)

Not getting/knowing it is the point of the poster.

That's no bad NZ movie poster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain Geech posted:

I wonder if the actors ever find it weird, like if they look up at the poster during the premiere and think, "waaaaait a second... I don't remember getting that photo taken." Or maybe it's become such a common practice that they don't think twice about it.

I remember Denise Richards worked to get her butt un-replaced on the Undercover Brother poster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AndyP posted:

That movie was written by Wentworth Miller?

And it's the Oldboy director's first film in english.
Apparently Mr. Prison Break's script was on one of those greatest unproduced screenplays lists before it got bought.

edit: He does have an extremely authorly name.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish in that Stoker piano poster it wasn't just a tacked on afterthought to a photoshoot and they actually played up on how reflections work.
Like, if you are looking straight at the camera you wouldn't also be looking at the camera in your reflection. It's a new angle, so how about the protagonist girl is looking at us straight-on, with her eyes naturally cast up in the angle of the reflection, but Kidman and other dude are looking at us through the the piano.

Here's a feeble edit on the girl to sort of illustrate it.

Of course they have to know what they were doing ahead of time and shoot an upwards facing angle to fake the reflection right.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 22, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But who usually gets 'From __ the visionary director of __'? Unless your name has just as much stock as your well known movie it probably doesn't happen.
Be glad he got that. The "I Saw The Devil" director has the new Schwarzenegger movie and the guy who did "The Host" has something next year. Let's see if they get that much recognition.

The audiences are being directed to his stuff. They're told there's acclaim. It's fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 22, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You must hate that movie.
It's obviously his most recognized, which is the only reason I listed it from amongst his credits. They've just made an awful looking sequel which doesn't seem to happen to a lot of Korean films.

Anyway, to tie into the topic his english language debut sounds pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Piercer

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

All the trailers for The Last stand have pointed out in very large text that it's a new movie from Kim Jee-Woon, so I have a feeling they are. :v:

Oh cool. That's nice of them. I don't know if i'd have bothered promoting the director on a new Schwarzenegger/Knoxville action comedy.

edit: Weird. Seeing the trailer again they showed off his name, but nothing he's worked on. I don't know if that's better than the Stoker route.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So are that Kubrick's notes on a proposed poster?

From the dotted thing it's probably by the same illustrator as this, which I guess was preferred.

Which makes the movie look like it's about aliens.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Holy crap. His signature is amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Prefer this one from the same TV station.

And same movie same station.

There was a True Blood billboard I saw here that had a hand holding a stake which looked exactly like an erect penis till you got pretty close.
Not sure if there's any pictures out there but it was amazing to see such an innuendo in broad daylight.

edit:
Here it is.

Maybe not as close to exactly looking like a boner as I remember.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 29, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't realise there was another Parker film coming out.

I have no idea why they didn't just directly adapt the awesome Parker comics.

Period pieces must do poo poo enough not to think of bothering anymore.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I expect that I'll like this movie. But while out for a run one morning I saw this poster on the side of a bus shelter and as I was approaching, it looked as if mini-Emma Stone was perched like a parrot on Gosling's arm.

The removed cigarette in this poster is like a phantom limb. It's been weirding me out the past week I've been passing it every day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

People aren't looking forward as gently caress to Spring Breakers?

edit: Is there one official poster for this movie?
Franco's hand looks fake here, but I like how they rotated the whole thing around his side grip.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 9, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I knew it'd be from the dude who made this.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0608936/

You'd think making Bad rear end might have been a stepping stone away from directing moronic parodies, but I guess not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

The only thing connected to Harmony Korine that I've watched was Kids, and I thought it was a bleak, pretentious piece of poo poo. The basic summary of that film was "underage kids gently caress a lot, one of them is a scumbag with aids". The End.

That aside, I'm intrigued by James Franco's performance but I don't know if I'm intrigued enough to bother watching the movie. I'm sure it'll be creepy enough that I'd feel ashamed for buying a ticket/watching the movie in public.

You should check out Mister Lonely. You certainly can't lump that plot alongside Kids.
edit: And Julien Donkey Boy, for anyone who decided on him after Gummo.

I didn't feel Trash Humpers and that Die Antward thing, but I think he's a totally interesting film maker from everything else, and someone I trust raved about Breakers and put it at the top of his films of the year, so I got my ticket for whenever the hell it screens in New Zealand.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The number font stinks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

This movie didn't have a great poster campaign, but it was at least better than this..

Wouldn't the original highlighter green have helped it stand out on the shelf?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about grey steel background and a lime green explosion? How about compromise?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cause of that Left Behind poster I just read the plot summaries to every book on Wikipedia.
I'd love for the reboot to be incredibly successful and the entire series to be shot with crazy movie stars and the world's greatest special effects just so I can pop in to the second to last movie and see Jesus float down to kick butt during world war 3. That sounds fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the The Master bluray cover. Not a fan.

Maybe if they really looked like emerging from an ink blot test, but that'd still be cheesy. I'd have rather they just used that weird blue kaleidoscope theatrical poster.

It's no at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

That's it.

That's okay. Wonder why the PSH photo is made to look like civil war photography old.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 18, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You must have Pontypool mixed up with another movie. It's Canadian and there aren't zombie sheep as far as I remember.
Go see Pontypool while you have no idea what it is :)

edit: "Black Sheep" from New Zealand is the zombie sheep movie. It's pretty fun too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

I can't believe I've never seen this poster until now for American Psycho.

The lighting's hosed up there. He'd have to be toplit to have light cast on his butt and thighs.
The telescope too. C'mon, dude!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just came across this poster. I guess it's supposed to be about a killer chasing a blind kid, not a child sex doll.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. The Joe Dante segment was great. :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lifeforce owns

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I think it works pretty well.
I thought the puppets and effects were genuinely creepy and really unsettling when I only saw it a couple of years ago.
When they obviously ran out of money at the end and just had people in zombie make-up running around instead of these things

it's a bit of a let down.

The naked lady is good too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 8, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wouldn't the joke have been served better in that Haunted House poster if he had the exact pose and composition of the Devil Inside poster lady instead of just pulling a comedy face?

I didn't get the reference at all till I actively started asking myself "What in horror movies could a lip tattoo be parodying?", which took a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Friends Are Evil posted:

Punch-Drunk Love by Jordan Crane.

This sucks. I think I remember Sandler getting punched out, but it's definitely not an evocative image for the movie.
The 60's style art has nothing to do with anything. Something could have evoked those strange moving light painting that were plopped about instead of a random inserted look.

Even a minimalism poster depicting a wrecked bathroom hand dryer or a pudding cup would be a ton better.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 14, 2013