Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

I've never seen Punch Drunk Love, but that beautiful poster makes me really want to. Are you telling me a hypothetical half-assed minimalist poster depicting an object out of context has more artistic merit and more advertising influence than genuinely good art?

Well it wouldnt be good, but it would be remotely related. I'm just using that to express how non-evocative the tone of this poster is. If it's attracting you, you won't see any of that in the movie.

You should see it. My favorite PTA :)

edit:
I've always loved this image.

edit 2: I think this might be the best poster for Antichrist.

Love the rating description right there in the middle with the title.
e: Though it'd only ever work as a preview poster.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why do so many old posters put taglines and random words in quotes anyway?

I'd guess they want a line from the movie to be iconic and anticipated for people before they see it, as opposed to a byline.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I like this poster. Simple, and great colour.

Apparently this movie is the talk of Cannes!

I think I can improve

edit: Inspiration hit.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

ORIGINAL POSTER, DO NOT STEAL!!

Related, but this is my favorite backhanded compliment used on a poster.

Yeah, that clearly wasn't taken from a negative review. :rolleyes:

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...ore!%22&f=false

I like how they inserted the exclamation mark.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaykin is a total legend. Someone made a nice defense post in a comics thread a few days ago.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400783&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post416027612

fatherboxx posted:

... something screams and dies inside me when I see another complaint about how much Howard Chaykin sucks - that started back when his diehard fans Bendis and Fraction invited him to draw some guest-star issues on their Marvel comics. Modern coloring fucks his art up horribly, and, to be honest, he has not upped his game, but he deserves way more credit. Some amazing vintage Chaykin (with Bruzenak lettering on that Shadow page):

(that Star Wars poster is the first thing about the movie the world saw back in the 1976)

Here's something from last year that looks awesome. (Don't mind the speech bubbles. It's a crazy explicit comic.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 2, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wow. That's from the Amores Peros/21 Grams/Babel guy?
On one hand I'd love for a departure from his style, on the other I'd take a dour intersecting narrative involving a Birdman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wouldn't that Ghostbusters cover be 50% more iconic and actually stand out more by having black behind the logo?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And '89 Batman.
At least with the boxset re releases they still just have the emblem, but it's all made of stone and gritted up. Also, the font is some terrible metallic thing.
I get that they were all packaged together and Batman has a different font to Returns, but looking at the original plain white Batman Returns title right now on it's poster is crashing warm, glorious waves of nostalgia over me.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

That first poster really sucks but that second one is really incredible, so I guess it evens out?

I think the painted poster looks great except for the directionless vacant stares of the girls.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I saw this a while ago. Nothing about it is vibrant or psychedelic, so I'm not sure why it needs the beaming red beard and dump of yellow. I'd just keep it blue. It's a pretty sombre thing.

A full body shot of this guy in a dirty shirt and sweat pants holding a gun would work pretty well.
Sorta like this Taxi Driver poster. He even has a particular car you could swap in.

Actually, I wonder if selling it as beardy hobo man the movie might not get people disappointing when he spends the vast majority of the film clean cut

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can't the US call it Braindead yet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

I can't find a downloadable picture but someone put no effort into the Police Academy Blu Ray Box Set at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Police-Academy-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00F40UBM8

The original lettering is iconic as gently caress in my mind, and I understand that you want to sell it to someone with no connection to the 80's by slapping Appealing Generic Comedy Font on the front, but who except those with extreme nostalgia would buy the bluray box set?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I saw a print of that a few years ago. It's insane and amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Oh man, it's that movie where Victor Salva molested that kid on. :pedo:

Check out the first six minutes of the movie. It's amazing in hindsight.
Hi Sam Rockwell :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tv6VoOYok4

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grey goatee club: Brad Pitt, Fred Durst

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Moreso, there hasn't been a Mutant League ________ sports game produced since 1994.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In case people didn't know, the book/movie is about a group of suicidal people, so them grinning on the orange precipice carries that extra meaning. I like it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno. Those look like Ninja Turtles. Better than the 3rd movie's masks, or the last video game's redesign. (e: or the Transformers vs their cartoon counterparts.)

I just want to see a version with no CG applied over the mocap suits.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 30, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

effectual posted:

A weird grainy picture of a coffee shop? That only plays into the first few minutes of the movie. Bad color choice, bad shot angle, bad bad poster.

Cafe 80's was a major, iconic part of the movie. I just wish it said Cafe 80's on the sign and had images of Ronald Reagan, the Ayatollah and Max Headroom on the TVs instead of T H and E.

e: and the Wild Gunman machine with Elijah Woods and the Pepsi shoots. It's weirdly missing any iconic things.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

echoplex posted:

I just sort of feel that the footage is already out there - it happened, it was documented, it was very real. Any take on it sensationalises it, and maybe I don't mean 'demeans' it but it does kind of demean it - the audio file out there is full of real, tangible, human emotion, a dramatisation or even a derivative work like this just seems surplus to sum human requirements. It's an odd position to take which I wouldn't normally, but something about this kinda bugs me.

I saw a pretty sleazy 70's exploitation retelling (e: the one mentioned above, I think), but viewing it through that lens, just the fact of it being made directly after the event made it super interesting.

This I'm not interested in, even though I loved (all but the end of) House of the Devil. It would've been neat if he actually stepped up and made the real Jim Jones movie in all dead seriousness instead of selling to the same midnight movie crowd.

e: I guess if Eli Roth has to produce, there's most of your tone decided for you.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 22, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If they need his torso that big, why not keep the legs in proportion and crop at the knees/shins? Is it important that we see his boots?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Rob Liefeld's lovely Noah poster just showed up in my facebook feed. I guess it could be worse, at least he didn't have to draw anyone's feet. The complete lack of pouches makes me doubt its authenticity though.

Remember Noah? He's that Japanese fellow from the bible!

Could this possibly be an April Fools? Is it a confirmed thing?

e: Found out for myself.
http://www.slashfilm.com/noah-art-posters/ Posted five days ago.

ee: and there's this http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/take-a-look-inside-darren-aronofskys-stunning-nyc-noah-art-show/

These should've been posters.

'Original very holy moly'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The problem with this is that as someone who has never read the novel and has little to no idea what gone girl is, aside from the fact that it's a book that 'moms' read, I have no idea what it is for, little what it's about, and no reason to care.

I think it tells you a lot more about the movie than an average teaser poster that might have a giant sad Ben Affleck and something like 'This October get #GONE"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

"Amazing Amy" doesn't seem like a person, that's what bothers me about it

That point should be a big part of the movie. Slight spoiler since it isn't covered in the trailer Amy, the missing wife, is famous for being the inspiration for her parents' "Amazing Amy" children's book series.

I wonder if the movie is going to follow the book's POV structure. I hope so.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

kiimo posted:

We're the studio that made Godzilla taller than space. It should be expected.

Not to be a jerk to anyone who worked on the Edge of Tomorrow poster (kinda), but is it generally out of the question to get a really good matte artist in to make something believable to put behind the actors instead of a smoosh of elements?
I'm sure it holds up fine to the passer by, and that's all the budget and time allowed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 23, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I sure don't want to see a New New Hope.
I know the old folks appearance will be saccharine and sentimental but hopefully it's only about five minutes worth.

e: And they all get blown up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Not exactly poster related

There are Giger posters, though!

I just looked up some of the movies that had used his art, found this...

and saw the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eyD_NdGTy8
Jeez.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ben Affleck is a necrophiliac in this movie?! :barf:

That's not at all literal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If the first trailer left a bad impression, you might just end up not liking the movie. That's 100% the book up on screen through his camera.
Was it the song?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do you know when the last real group photo was taken for a theatrical poster? Is it marked as an annual day of reflection amongst poster makers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gotta say that's pretty solid Photoshop work.

e: Considering what this thread usually sees.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Despite Pattinson and Cusack, I really want to see Maps To The Stars super badly.

I thought it was horrible. Worse than Cosmopolis.

e: I'm way more interested in his son's career now. I hope there's something coming up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The TCM2 one would be okay if there wasn't already this beauty..

Also, if you've ever seen the original Last House, anybody trying to make something remotely classy for it is hilarious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Return of the Living Dead one should've been a recreation of the punk girl grave dancing scene, composed in a reverse shot through her legs like the 007 For Your Eyes Only poster, with the rest of the punks watching and the zombies coming up behind 'em.

I wish I could draw. I'm inspired.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Out of 16 features I'd only call two of them awful. I'm there for you, Tim.

Charlie gets a pass for this flag scene, in case you were wondering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvo7Go-Vd4&t=4941s

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all acting like Frankenweenie wasn't dope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why a car and not her van?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Annie Clark as in St Vincent?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Whoa. Cheel make good!
Any other Film Junk fans out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, Fox doesn't have comics to market, so ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yzKzwmCdU

e: Are they allowed to make toys and mobile games with the license? Maybe there's just nothing related that they can promote.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 18, 2016